Past #16: Aiden Bonar - drafted by GWS #11 '17 ND - traded to NM end '19 - 25 NM games - thx Bon

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
He's not as "natural" a footballer as Jy, LDU or TT. It's moreso physical and athletic traits with him and he needs to learn about the game.

Whereas the aforementioned trio will benefit more playing AFL , Bonar is the type who may need a good season at VFL level to develop. Unfortunately he's not getting this year.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Palpatine

Premium Gold
Jun 9, 2010
Launceston
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Kentucky Wildcats
Jy has only been dropped once, it was last year rd 6 v Port.
He also played 1 VFL game in his first year, which was after a 6 week injury layoff.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Jy has only been dropped once, it was last year rd 6 v Port.
He also played 1 VFL game in his first year, which was after a 6 week injury layoff.

He's pretty much the case study of developing at AFL level.

Going back for confidence when needed.

Persistence and driving for standards from the player himself are the main takeaways from his rapid development.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Attended 1 center bounce and had 49% TOG.

A stay of execution probably warranted.

Especially when you consider our reigning B&F winner attended 15 x more center bounces and was on the ground for literally double the amount of time for an additional 3 x possessions.

1592800892727.png

Jan 29, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Attended 1 center bounce and had 49% TOG.

A stay of execution probably warranted.

Especially when you consider our reigning B&F winner attended 15 x more center bounces and was on the ground for literally double the amount of time for an additional 3 x possessions.

View attachment 897372
I reckon they will drop him. Pretty tough playing only a half and out of position.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon they will drop him. Pretty tough playing only a half and out of position.

It seems he is a midfielder only. He couldn't get a game at GWS with their stacked midfield and they clearly didn't see him as a forward. I think there are a few in the 22 against Sydney that are really midfielders that we are trying to develop into other positions. I would say at this stage Bonar, Ahern, and Hayden should play as midfielders or not all. That would mean they potentially all get dropped to bring back Cunners, Marley, and one other.

Any reports from the scratch match?

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
It seems he is a midfielder only. He couldn't get a game at GWS with their stacked midfield and they clearly didn't see him as a forward. I think there are a few in the 22 against Sydney that are really midfielders that we are trying to develop into other positions. I would say at this stage Bonar, Ahern, and Hayden should play as midfielders or not all. That would mean they potentially all get dropped to bring back Cunners, Marley, and one other.

Heath said there was a report coming on Monday (today) on Saturday, due to resourcing issues with the media dept.

Haven't seen anything yet, or even a result, other than Hunter suited up for us.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

His junior career had a fair amount of forward work. I think that he will be a long term swingman but you need him to belong first and you need the primary skillset to be utilised to achieve that. That is midfield work.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Keep him in the team, rotate him through the middle around the stoppages. When C-man takes a breather, he comes in. Bonar needs to be developed towards the physical explosive mid so he plays the strong man role while simpkin plays the agile aggressive mid role.

Fish Sticks

All Australian
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I get that.

But you cant have it both ways.

Simpkin has turned into a star because of consistent AFL experience, not an apprenticeship in the VFL.

He barely cracked 15 disposals in his first 20 AFL games. He wasn't AFL standard.

I agree that Bonar should be in the VFL at the minute, I also believe however that when he is brought into the AFL side he should be played as a midfielder rather than a bit part forward/mid on 45% TOG before he is crucified.

I'd hope the same standards are being applied to TT and our reigning B&F who only got 3 more touches for the game....
Im not writing Bonar off after one game... that is just ridiculous by those who are!
Simpkin had moments of brilliance in his first couple seasons where you could see he had that special something that would eventually make him a star.
I never doubted Jy’s ability, it was only a matter of time

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You people are crazy, I cbf’d going back thru the Cunners thread but the same s**t was said about him..
big boys take time, he’s 21 wait till his body hardens up, before you expect him to be a step in replacement for Cunners.

unfortunately he needs time on the ground at AFL level and he’s probably going to be a slow burn, but watch out when he builds synergy with all the kids his age, he’ll explode.. the best part about it is all the mids we’ve recruited are complimentary to each other.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
....big boys take time, he’s 21 wait till his body hardens up.....

Big inside mids especially, as has been pointed out in the LDU thread.

I doubt anyone is writing the kid off on that one hit out, but he'll still take a while, and the lack of VFL footy isn't speeding that up.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Big inside mids especially, as has been pointed out in the LDU thread.

I doubt anyone is writing the kid off on that one hit out, but he'll still take a while, and the lack of VFL footy isn't speeding that up.
Here’s a quote you can bookmark for future reference..
lets hope LDU comes on because this kid wont be Cunners replacement unfortunately..

I think it’s pretty evident we need to help Cunners out more, even if it’s just letting him rest forward for 5 minutes a quarter.. a developing Bonar hopefully can fill that midfield void we thought we could get out of Ziebell.

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Keep him in the team, rotate him through the middle around the stoppages. When C-man takes a breather, he comes in. Bonar needs to be developed towards the physical explosive mid so he plays the strong man role while simpkin plays the agile aggressive mid role.

Isn't that what Anderson is used for... to give cunners a breather although there are times when there is cunners and Anderson in there... guessing when they need to go on the defensive...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aiden Bonar

“Bonar went down back which is something new for him. He handled it really well, and we were really pleased. He defended his man very well.”

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The only way I can see this remotely making sense is if Hayden is now going to go forward into the midfield, since I think he's shown more ability that we could use there instead of just being a half-back, meanwhile Bonar looks a ways off in his game, too much of a risk to drop him in the mid just yet.

But that's just a guess, I really can't see the rationale behind putting players out of their best position unless it produces near-instant results like Tarrant, Daw or Josh Walker when he moved down back.

Back