Past #16: Aiden Bonar - drafted by GWS #11 '17 ND - traded to NM end '19 - 25 NM games - thx Bon

Remove this Banner Ad

I was talking more about you blurting out that we are irrelevant, i don't think any of us mind having oppo supporters come in for a friendly chat but the arbitrary potting will only ensure no one will listen to you. I'd like to see more of the player specific commentary and I'm happy to read anything you have to say regarding that.
Fair call. Guess I got my back up after all the derogatory comments about SA/incest etc. Happy to move past it. I actually don’t mind your club; there’d be at least 10 I’d place lower than yours. Have a good one fellas.

Fair call. Guess I got my back up after all the derogatory comments about SA/incest etc. Happy to move past it. I actually don’t mind your club; there’d be at least 10 I’d place lower than yours. Have a good one fellas.
I don't mind yours either, you're always welcome here, i can understand wanting to defend your club and home base, its pretty fair to say we get a bit defensive too. I certainly get in some people's faces on twitter 😇😈

..... s**t! Ive been as far as Murry Bridge, stopped for a bit, had a look around, chucked a uturn and headed back to Melbourne. ... are you not all like that? Thought you had to be to live in that state

Ive hated Crows supporters since being lobbed in amongst 10,000 of them at the 98 GF where I got spat on and told at half time I’m a ‘f**, pig rootin Victorian whose *in all the umpires..”

I found this offensive as I’m West Australian..

Not at all, I once loved Bonar as a prospect, thought he was going to be a star. Then he just couldn’t even find the footy for the Giants NEAFL side. Then he’s been disappointing for you guys. I’m really not such a bad guy. I call a spade a spade. I’m not sold on him, I do like Powell though. LDU could be a star too, although IMO he’s got to think through the game better. Has the attributes.
What is it with campaigners using this phrase to describe black people?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lost me there mate, when is this done?

It's mostly an American thing and relates to playing cards. Think "black as the ace of spades". I think it was far more prevalent in the 70's and 80's. It was in the original Police Academy movie.

The phrase our slightly knobish guest from Adelaide used predates any reference to the word spade being used in that context and refers to digging implements.

More of an English thing and probably 50 years ago. From the phrase "black as the ace of spades"
I never thought it was derogatory but could be wrong of course.
In fact the only time I’ve ever heard it is from my aboriginal mates referring to their other family members that had very dark skin.

Correct. Completely different. "To call a spade a spade" has been around for 500 years.
That's fine just don't repeatedly use it when referring to dark skinned players.

"Tarryn Thomas is lazy and underprepared."

"He's played one season and missed his second thru injury."

"Don't care, i'm just calling a spade a spade."

That's fine just don't repeatedly use it when referring to dark skinned players.

"Tarryn Thomas is lazy and underprepared."

"He's played one season and missed his second thru injury."

"Don't care, i'm just calling a spade a spade."
I might be stating my complete cluelessness here, but I never thought calling a "spade a spade" had any black skin or racial connotations.
I've always read that, and held the belief, that's it's more about being prepared to state the truth and not sugarcoat something....in a "calls it like it is" type way. We are all learning I guess.

I might be stating my complete cluelessness here, but I never thought calling a "spade a spade" had any black skin or racial connotations.
I've always read that, and held the belief, that's it's more about being prepared to state the truth and not sugarcoat something....in a "calls it like it is" type way. We are all learning I guess.
Most of the time it isn't a thing, but if someone is talking about a black person how would you know? I only whinge about it when people use it when referring to black people and frankly if people want to keep doing that they will, but I won't shut up about it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back