Past #16: Aiden Bonar - drafted by GWS #11 '17 ND - traded to NM end '19 - 25 NM games - thx Bon

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of the time it isn't a thing, but if someone is talking about a black person how would you know? I only whinge about it when people use it when referring to black people and frankly if people want to keep doing that they will, but I won't shut up about it.

I seriously had no idea. All good.

I might be stating my complete cluelessness here, but I never thought calling a "spade a spade" had any black skin or racial connotations.
I've always read that, and held the belief, that's it's more about being prepared to state the truth and not sugarcoat something....in a "calls it like it is" type way. We are all learning I guess.

That's exactly what the idiom means and it made its way through an Ancient Greek saying (spade as in the digging tool) to English.

I think Ferb is just saying that best not to use the idiom in relation to people who might have been subject to the offensive slang of 'spade'.

That's exactly what the idiom means and it made its way through an Ancient Greek saying (spade as in the digging tool) to English.

I think Ferb is just saying that best not to use the idiom in relation to people who might have been subject to the offensive slang of 'spade'.
Yeah I get that. I’ve just personally never connected the two. Seriously didn’t know that it even existed. Always good to learn something ya didn’t know.

That's fine just don't repeatedly use it when referring to dark skinned players.

"Tarryn Thomas is lazy and underprepared."

"He's played one season and missed his second thru injury."

"Don't care, i'm just calling a spade a spade."

I absolutely see your point and have no doubt that the phrase can and has been used with racist intent. I don't really use it but I will be extra careful of context if I choose to use it in the future.

Has this guy lost a contest this year? He is playing great football.
Fast, strong & reads the play to work off his man & intercept.
I didn’t see it coming to be honest. Wrapped with his development & the best story of the year so far!

AFL statspro has him as losing 1/4 contests, which is pretty damn good considering he's been undersized a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back