Past #16: Aiden Bonar - drafted by GWS #11 '17 ND - traded to NM end '19 - 25 NM games - thx Bon

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The guy has speed and accuracy.
Why are we even questioning things regarding his development?
Based on his two years, LDU probably wouldn't have gotten a look in at GWS too.
He is only 20 and is the same height as zuurhar, ziebell, and even martin just genetically structured bigger.
He could be anything.
Again. I repeat. He is quick and has good disposals.
We should be hopeful to get him in every single game.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So you reckon it's purely a cap-space scenario? Am I not mistaken that he was fit and available for finals, but the first-year blokes up there went past him?
It's true there's a few players that Leon picked over him but that's not to take away from his potential. It could have been a simple matter of him not being suited to fill the gaps, i don't know a heap about gws and how they lined up but I'd assume in finals time the guys who have been fed games year round would be preferred to fill for the likes of cogs
They have had the chances to pick up and develop a lot of guns, which is why gws is always 1st raided every trade week.
its a free hit anyway

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The guy has speed and accuracy.
Why are we even questioning things regarding his development?
Based on his two years, LDU probably wouldn't have gotten a look in at GWS too.
He is only 20 and is the same height as zuurhar, ziebell, and even martin just genetically structured bigger.
He could be anything.
Again. I repeat. He is quick and has good disposals.
We should be hopeful to get him in every single game.

In defence of LDU, he’s shown way more at AFL level (albeit not consistently) and he’s played very good football in the VFL whilst Bonar has struggled in the NEAFL.

He’s a speculative trade but one that we should have taken given the low buying price.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Shoe on the other foot, would we trade out a pick 11 for a swap of late picks after 2 seasons? It'd be interesting to know if our pro scout guys tracked this guy during the year and made an objective assessment. You'd hope this isn't the case and we didn't get suckered into relieving GWS of 400K off their books. Just hoping this doesn't have Daniel McConnell written all over it.
From memory we gave up a fair bit more for McConnell than we did for Bonar.

I guess the trouble for a kid at GWS is that he can get lost in the shuffle if he's not ready to go. It's a pretty good middle they have plus they've got more high end kids coming through.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

So you reckon it's purely a cap-space scenario? Am I not mistaken that he was fit and available for finals, but the first-year blokes up there went past him?

Only Daniels and Tayor in the GF. They were both 2017 draft crop but Daniels is a 170 cm small forward, Taylor a 196cm gun defender. First year Ian Hill played the week before. He's another small forward. Similar size to Daniels, couple of inches taller at most. He might have played another final as well. I can't see Bonar playing for any of them.

Taranto is a year older than Bonar and he'd be doing pretty well to push Taranto out of a finals side.

I think that's it for younger GWS players during finals.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was speaking to a recruiting friend of mine. Said when he was 16 he had Brownlow medalist written all over him. Like a shorter Goodes in terms of versatility and will be a nightmare to matchup on.

Basically picked up a future brownlow medalist for free.

Excellent news, was it 1984 our last one? TT, Bonar ( am still dubious, his first name should have been Barry just segues into Bonar so wonderfully) Scott, Larkey, Zurhaar and Simpkin. We've cornered the Brownlow market.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
I was speaking to a recruiting friend of mine. Said when he was 16 he had Brownlow medalist written all over him. Like a shorter Goodes in terms of versatility and will be a nightmare to matchup on.

Do you regularly catch up with Joyces GG?..

gustev

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2008
north of melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Athletics
Excellent news, was it 1984 our last one? TT, Bonar ( am still dubious, his first name should have been Barry just segues into Bonar so wonderfully) Scott, Larkey, Zurhaar and Simpkin. We've cornered the Brownlow market.
Barry? Ivar fits much better.

desie

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2004
Gumnut Cottage
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Arsenal, GWS Giants
If we had the bevy of draft choices gws had been blessed with and the list demographics they have I think surplus would be surplus, it's hard to imagine a like for like scenario to me
The Giants are happy to stockpile with best available which enables them to recycle assets over the longer term to maintain their competitiveness.

They've got Hately and Caldwell waiting in the wings for midfield spots as it is.

Bonar's AFL experience has almost entirely been as a forward, under the circumstances and given respective salary caps the trade makes complete sense for both parties.

From what I've seen I've got no doubts he'll play significant AFL minutes next year.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
From memory we gave up a fair bit more for McConnell than we did for Bonar.

I guess the trouble for a kid at GWS is that he can get lost in the shuffle if he's not ready to go. It's a pretty good middle they have plus they've got more high end kids coming through.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
If you don't want to know what we gave up for Daniel McConnell, look away now.

We got McConnell and pick 18
We gave up picks 13 and 29

With pick 13, West Coast took Shannon Hurn
With pick 29, they got Ben McKinley

Oh yeah, we then traded 18 to Hawthorn for Jonathon Hay.

And got McKinley a few years later for pick 86

Total games tallies for all of these players:

Hay at NMFC: 8
McConnell at NMFC: 4
McKinley at NMFC: 2

McKinley at WCE: 46
Hurn at WCE: 269

Fun fact, in Ben McKinley's first game for NMFC, the Eagles had his name on their jumper.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

Fun fact, in Ben McKinley's first game for NMFC, the Eagles had his name on their jumper.

It’s actually not as bad as I thought to be honest....🤪

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
It’s actually not as bad as I thought to be honest....🤪

Hawthorn picked up 2013 premiership player Max Bailey with the pick we gave up for Jon Hay.

That year we topped it off by trading for Mark Powell who never even showed up and Jade Rawlings who played a grand total of 3 games for the club.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Golden State, SF 49ers

We also gave up Moltop for Hay via Ports 1st round. Though we did get Riggio and Swallow out of it with a 2nd and a 3rd coming back.

Birchall was picked up with the Motlop pick.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

What did we discuss about using fake news tags?

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Like a shorter Goodes in terms of versatility and will be a nightmare to matchup on.
I'm a noob here so apologies if you're taking the piss but Goodes minus the height is not versatile any more. Aiden is so versatile he can play as an inside mid or med forward. Hopefully he develops into a gun at one of those.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'm a noob here so apologies if you're taking the piss but Goodes minus the height is not versatile any more. Aiden is so versatile he can play as an inside mid or med forward. Hopefully he develops into a gun at one of those.

Why "ether"?

He’s a speculative trade but one that we should have taken given the low buying price.

LDU - 4
Ahern - 7
Thomas - 8
Bonar - 11
Jy - 12

This is the high draft talent we need to collectively take a step forward.

If you consider Pykie's note on Bonar being a consideration for pick 1 prior to his knee.

If you consider Jy's high rating prior to his draft by Paul Roo's.

The upside in this group is nuts.

With Bonnar it all depends how driven he is. If he 100% wants to become a gun AFL footballer and have a long and successful career, he's got all the tools and is at the right club from the opportunity point of view to make it.

Back