Past #16: Aiden Bonar - drafted by GWS #11 '17 ND - traded to NM end '19 - 25 NM games - thx Bon

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
NOBODY is going to mention the glasses on the dude on the left
157196740928000640.gif

Steele7

Club Legend
Aug 4, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Grassy Hawks
One thing I do like is it looks as though there's a bit of planning going on predominantly in the midfield. We're building a nice young core in there that can hopefully develop together and form great relationships over the coming years.

Really keen to see a midfield involving LDU, Bonar, TT, Simpkin, Ahern, Anderson, etc. There's a nice mix of skill sets in there - maybe add in a quicker mid to the mix in the next couple of years and you might have something.

Very excited.

+ Scott

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If he is so highly rated why did he not get any other serious suitors? Surely other clubs could afford his contract? There must be some significant doubts on his perceived ability to have an impact at AFL level. The market is a great indicator of perceived value.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If he is so highly rated why did he not get any other serious suitors? Surely other clubs could afford his contract? There must be some significant doubts on his perceived ability to have an impact at AFL level. The market is a great indicator of perceived value.

I'd reckon 12-14 clubs wouldn't have $400K spare in the cap for starters, and the rest of them aren't in Victoria.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'd reckon 12-14 clubs wouldn't have $400K spare in the cap for starters, and the rest of them aren't in Victoria.
I reckon plenty of clubs would have known he was available a while out and could have made some list changes with his recruitment in mind.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

You could raise that concern about many a lowly draft pick or lowly valued trade. Clubs skipped over Ben Brown in 3 drafts and he still went in the 3rd round even when taken. No one wanted Marley and he’s been sound for us.

In short clubs often have nfi.

We jumped on an opportunity like a seagull on a chip because it cost nothing from a trade perspective just his salary which restricted other Victorian clubs from landing him. Clubs like Essendon, Saints and Melbourne were interested but did not want to carry his salary.

Will he be a star, not sure bit it's worth the punt at that price. After all he is a 1st round pick, for all we know he could be the difference. ;)

I reckon plenty of clubs would have known he was available a while out and could have made some list changes with his recruitment in mind.

He was a 1st round pick with 2 years left on his contract.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He hasn’t set the world alight but hes an inside mid and they take time. I surprised Essendon wasnt over him like a dirty rash but i guess they were pre occupied.

He hasn’t set the world alight but hes an inside mid and they take time. I surprised Essendon wasnt over him like a dirty rash but i guess they were pre occupied.
Couldn't fit him in and were preoccupied with Daniher and Fantasia

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Back