Past #16: Aiden Bonar - drafted by GWS #11 '17 ND - traded to NM end '19 - 25 NM games - thx Bon

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lots of good little signs.

Positive Signs: tackling, intent, work rate, gets his hands free around the contest and physically hea big boy.

Negative Signs: very flat footed around the contest, first option is always to handball, despite being quick he doesn’t really breakaway, didn’t seem to use his long kicking....at one stage he didn’t back himself to take the shot when he was 45m out. I thought he could roost the thing 55+m?

Lots to work with but I hope he starts getting on his bike around the stoppages more. Use that athleticism and speed to our advantage.

I wonder in the short term if he can’t crack our midfield, wether half back would be an option?

He couldn’t be any worse than McMillan defensively and seems to be a decent ball user.
Wouldn't be completely averse to that idea depending on how things shape up for him in the midfield.

Pace, size and a penetrating kick :handok:

No point having blistering speed if you are constantly flatfooted under the ball in the square. You'll be wrapped up every single time.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wouldn't be completely averse to that idea depending on how things shape up for him in the midfield.

Pace, size and a penetrating kick :handok:

No point having blistering speed if you are constantly flatfooted under the ball in the square. You'll be wrapped up every single time.
Hopefully he brings that kicking you speak of to the next game, i thought it was nothing special.

I can honestly say that, from what I’ve seen so far, I’m absolutely clueless as to whether Bonar is any good. In fact, the only two players that have shown anything definitive thus far, from my perspective, are Thomas and Josh Walker. It’s been a strange pre-season.

Edit:- I would add Taylor as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can honestly say that, from what I’ve seen so far, I’m absolutely clueless as to whether Bonar is any good. In fact, the only two players that have shown anything definitive thus far, from my perspective, are Thomas and Josh Walker. It’s been a strange pre-season.

hi - disagree a little on Bonar; I was at the Melb praccy game, and thought he was pretty good; tackles hard in close, and then moved well enough to got involved in some link up play, disposal looks alright. I think he'll be ok

hi - disagree a little on Bonar; I was at the Melb praccy game, and thought he was pretty good; tackles hard in close, and then moved well enough to got involved in some link up play, disposal looks alright. I think he'll be ok

I’ll take your word for it, Merlin. Hopefully, it’ll become more apparent to me when the real stuff starts.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

from the vision of half a game of footy v doggies that and perhaps a bit of positivity re Taylor is all i got out of it.

I’d add Comben to the above list, albeit from a smaller sample size.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very quick and clean hands in close too, which is probably the most important attribute for an inside mid.

On the other hand, he looks somewhat reactive a lot of the time, which is clearly a confidence thing. I’ve seen enough to say the tools are there and he will make it, but he may well be the type who would be better served dominating the VFL first and coming in with his confidence high.

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Xerri baby did some nice things.....I thought.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It seems to me that the main issue of our midfield throughout the 2010s is not a talent related one but philosophical one. Bulldogs have consistently produced top midfield talent right across the board and that's not a coincidence but then again, they have never produced any decent forward. Barry Hall was just a stop gap solution. Our overarching philosophy is such an extent that even if do have gems, we don't get the best out of them. For instance, Atley would be a superstar or at least a very good midfielder at bulldogs, Bonar is absolutely a steal and hopefully with a new coaching panel we overcome our traditional weakness and that is a fixed mindset approach to midfield development. Brad scott could never take the next step because our club could never see beyond the horizon.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It seems to me that the main issue of our midfield throughout the 2010s is not a talent related one but philosophical one. Bulldogs have consistently produced top midfield talent right across the board and that's not a coincidence but then again, they have never produced any decent forward. Barry Hall was just a stop gap solution. Our overarching philosophy is such an extent that even if do have gems, we don't get the best out of them. For instance, Atley would be a superstar or at least a very good midfielder at bulldogs, Bonar is absolutely a steal and hopefully with a new coaching panel we overcome our traditional weakness and that is a fixed mindset approach to midfield development. Brad scott could never take the next step because our club could never see beyond the horizon.

Wait until round 1

Back end of last year we seen a lot of our players lift to another level

While this pre-season has been shambles so far, I’m going to try to cool my jets until the season starts

Wait until round 1

Back end of last year we seen a lot of our players lift to another level

While this pre-season has been shambles so far, I’m going to try to cool my jets until the season starts

I’m with you. If we bring the same form/game to Marvel that we brought in our last “real” game there, the Saints won’t know what will have hit them. On the other hand...

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Agreed, and used his size to push a few blokes around. Reckon he has the requisite dog in him to be a real intimidator ala Mumford.
While I assume he'd still need a bit of size on him, it seems like a nice comparison.

Back