Past #16: Aiden Bonar - drafted by GWS #11 '17 ND - traded to NM end '19 - 25 NM games - thx Bon

Remove this Banner Ad

Its worth noting our centre clearances went up and his disposal count on the inside went up as soon as he wasn't tagging Kennedy.

People love role players, but sorry, he's not one. He's an inside midfielder by trade if he can supply a tag for part of a quarter and do it well, great, but you're going to lose offensive output as a result and we don't have many inside mids who can do legit damage at the bounce.

Its worth noting our centre clearances went up and his disposal count on the inside went up as soon as he wasn't tagging Kennedy.

People love role players, but sorry, he's not one. He's an inside midfielder by trade if he can supply a tag for part of a quarter and do it well, great, but you're going to lose offensive output as a result and we don't have many inside mids who can do legit damage at the bounce.
Pretty much that's what you'd want. Nullify the threat then become a weapon. Pretty much what Jacobs had become.

I'm not advocating that he spends the next decade as a dour lock down. This is just a step in his career.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Pretty much that's what you'd want. Nullify the threat then become a weapon. Pretty much what Jacobs had become.

I'm not advocating that he spends the next decade as a dour lock down. This is just a step in his career.

I reckon once Kyron Hayden is healthy he'll be a better tagger in the long run, he just has more potential in that lock down midfielder role, that way one mid can be rotated to a half-forward or back position and we'd still retain the offensive edge.

Fair points

There is no reason he can’t do both though. Especially if he develops into something like Jacobs who gets disposals and revents players from getting 35+ possessions against us. At the end of the day if it helps us win, it doesn’t matter

I reckon once Kyron Hayden is healthy he'll be a better tagger in the long run, he just has more potential in that lock down midfielder role, that way one mid can be rotated to a half-forward or back position and we'd still retain the offensive edge.
Don't disagree at Billy.

Fair points

There is no reason he can’t do both though. Especially if he develops into something like Jacobs who gets disposals and revents players from getting 35+ possessions against us. At the end of the day if it helps us win, it doesn’t matter

Its a tall order to expect both, I just wouldn't anticipate another Ben Jacobs to fall into our laps again so soon. But if we did get one in Bonar or Hayden I can't deny how great it would be.

Jacobs' ability to tag the best midfielder out of the game and simultaneously win his own ball was outlandish, and his offensive ability during periods where he wasn't tagging just ups his already decent numbers into the 30+ disposal territory.

Its a tall order to expect both, I just wouldn't anticipate another Ben Jacobs to fall into our laps again so soon. But if we did get one in Bonar or Hayden I can't deny how great it would be.

Jacobs' ability to tag the best midfielder out of the game and simultaneously win his own ball was outlandish, and his offensive ability during periods where he wasn't tagging just ups his already decent numbers into the 30+ disposal territory.

He will be sorely missed :(

One of his team mates called him "an animal". It's about right. He's a ******* beast.

Personally I see know issue with Bonar spending time shadowing a bloke this. Firstly he actually cut his influence. And he'll learn a shitload.

Should show him vision of stevo when he first started - would negate his opposition and then became a ball magnet going through other way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He lives with LDU no?
I assume he still is.
but Bonar said in the video that his training partner was Crocker, he also said he wanted to learn more about norths systems, I’m probably putting 2+2 together, to make 5 but I would think Crocker might be a few years ahead of his time in north Melbourne game sense, Just body isn’t ready. Bonar is the polar opposite.

theyre probably going to play a bit of footy together this year.

Last edited:
^yeh think you are reading too into it. Simply all good mates and Joel lives near them in Elwood so makes sense to partner up. Same as higgo partnered up with BJ over the break cos they both live in bayside

I honestly hope the club gave it more thought then they’re all good mates who live near each other, that’s who they’ll team up with..

Was a good chance to do something a little strategic. Although Thomas who lives with Hall, went to live with Segal over the break might be a give away. There’s a little more thought to it.

Last edited:
I honestly hope the club gave it more thought then they’re all good mates who live near each other, that’s who they’ll team up with..

Was a good chance to do something a little strategic. Although Thomas who lives with Hall, went to live with Segal over the break might be a give away. There’s a little more thought to it.
For the most part it was that simple same as lmac and garner living together, souv and Zurhaar living together etc
Thomas spent only a week with segal, otherwise as you said with hall

Blokes living without other players would then have to find someone to team up with Or team up with mates outside of footy

Read Pittard and taz paired up for the running, don’t think the club organised who players teamed up with at all

Players just chose who they wanted to train with which is fine btw doesn’t have to be strategic like you mention, some obviously went back interstate like Jed training with his brothers in darwin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back