Past #16: Aiden Bonar - drafted by GWS #11 '17 ND - traded to NM end '19 - 25 NM games - thx Bon

Remove this Banner Ad

Play him in the centre, next to LDU and Jye, we won’t regret it..

I see it the other way more like K4E:

Has found his niche. Will benefit with more games this year and learning from Taz/Corr.

Loved his game yesterday. Just roared after his man like a leopard going full tilt and 'full body spoiled' in a way that would make Archer or Firrito happy.

Leave him in defence and let him build from there. Size and athleticism are great building blocks and if he has intent and aggression on top of that there's something to work from.

Loved his game yesterday. Just roared after his man like a leopard going full tilt and 'full body spoiled' in a way that would make Archer or Firrito happy.

Leave him in defence and let him build from there. Size and athleticism are great building blocks and if he has intent and aggression on top of that there's something to work from.
Firrito is not a bad comparison. Probably got a bit more toe and athleticism, but plays like a bustling undersized kpd.

Complete agree needs game time to know he belongs, first and foremost.

But he’s a midfielder and I’ll keep banging on about it.. different to the others above but equally as damaging. Give him Jacobs tagging role. Let him play defensive in there. He’ll block, free up space, match players like Fyfe for strength and have the speed to go with someone like Dangerfield. doesn’t mean he’ll ever become that level but athletically he can match them.
He doesn’t need to rack up the numbers, he just needs look for the others, when he has got the pill, which he’ll always do..

We won’t regret having a midfield mix of LDU, Jye, Kyron, Bonar, Stephenson, Powell and Phillips.. we’ve be got the nuts and bolts for the correct mix for a decade.

But he’s a midfielder and I’ll keep banging on about it.. different to the others above but equally as damaging. Give him Jacobs tagging role. Let him play defensive in there. He’ll block, free up space, match players like Fyfe for strength and have the speed to go with someone like Dangerfield. He doesn’t need to rack up the numbers just look for the others, when he has got the pill, which he’ll always do..

We won’t regret having a midfield mix of LDU, Jye, Kyron, Bonar, Stephenson, Powell and Phillips.. we’ve be got the nuts and bolts for the correct mix for a decade.

I'd love that to work, just haven't seen him play that multi-direction full game running role as yet.

But he’s a midfielder and I’ll keep banging on about it.. different to the others above but equally as damaging. Give him Jacobs tagging role. Let him play defensive in there. He’ll block, free up space, match players like Fyfe for strength and have the speed to go with someone like Dangerfield. doesn’t mean he’ll ever become that level but athletically he can match them.
He doesn’t need to rack up the numbers, he just needs look for the others, when he has got the pill, which he’ll always do..

He's never really played as an out and out midfielder though. Even a Dandenong where he played 7 games in 2 years between 2 knee reconstructions he only played there occasionally, and at AFL and VFL level has looked totally lost in traffic. I think deeper in defence is good for him because a) he is given a simple task of sticking to and beating his direct opponent and b) he can see the game in front of him for the most part. Both of these allow him to utilise his main strengths which are his physicality and athleticism.

He needs to bed down the defensive aspects, then adding that forward thrust to his game will be the next part of his development.

Am I the only one who thought he looked like he was knocked out towards the end? No news is good news on that front, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's out under concussion protocols.

Otherwise, yeah, a solid game considering the ease with which the ball was coming into the Port forward half. Will benefit too with McDonald back and not having to play on the oppo's best small.

Am I the only one who thought he looked like he was knocked out towards the end? No news is good news on that front, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's out under concussion protocols.

Otherwise, yeah, a solid game considering the ease with which the ball was coming into the Port forward half. Will benefit too with McDonald back and not having to play on the oppo's best small.
Nah he got back up unassisted and looked fine to me

Don’t ask don’t tell policy at the end of the game?

He needs to be our Justin Olam, KC.

A total wrecking ball.

The whole backline was pretty good really, it's just that the ball kept waltzing in easily.

I agree.

Corr, Young and Bonar all much better than I expected.

Bonar needs to keep it simple and play on dangerous smalls, but then be able to impact contests on bigs similar to what Rance was doing. I think based on his display he could do that with aplomb once he has Luke to handball to for a releasing kick.

This is it... take out potential injury and give him a strong run at games and you're gonna see this bloke gain confidence by the week. Very much like McKay. Bonar can play, he just needs to know it at the top level and he's finally got an avenue to do it.

You can trust this, the club want him to work out... having three first rounders from one draft work out is like gold in a rebuild, even if you didn't draft two of them.
Imagine a side with those three, Hayden and Larkey all from the same draft. Xerri too maybe? There would be something good about that. Many of them played together since jrs in club or rep sides. Then a similar thing with the two 2016 and three 2018 boys.

Looked lightning fast today, clean up those disposals and he's a walk-up to the 22.
Did you see that pass he hit LDU with on the backline? It was a laser guided bullet. Last year he hit beautiful 60m passes diagonally across the centre square. He can kick well.

He needs to be our Justin Olam, KC.

A total wrecking ball.

I agree.

Corr, Young and Bonar all much better than I expected.

Bonar needs to keep it simple and play on dangerous smalls, but then be able to impact contests on bigs similar to what Rance was doing. I think based on his display he could do that with aplomb once he has Luke to handball to for a releasing kick.

Extra like for the storm ref :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can run and deliver long accurate kicks. If he can lock down defend as well then we someone pretty handy on that backline.

Short-term at least the defensive lock-ins are: Tarrant, McKay, Corr and McDonald. If Ziebell and Atley also are playing back 6 then there isn't any room for Bonar, Young, Atu, etc outside of injuries.

I felt Bonar played well. I couldn't really fault our defenders given the amount of ball that came in and the lack of defensive pressure on the opposition ball carriers.

Did you see that pass he hit LDU with on the backline? It was a laser guided bullet. Last year he hit beautiful 60m passes diagonally across the centre square. He can kick well.

I do recall that, but there was another kick in the 3/4th quarter that was just like kicking with dead weight off his foot and didn't even make it past 5 metres, it's just a matter of consistency which is more of an important factor for the position he plays when kicking out of the backline or winning that 1v1 and initiating the rebound.

Our 'generational' midfield has a bit of sameness about it in a physical sense - Simpkin, Phillips, Powell, Lazzaro are all 180cm plus or minus a few centimetres; only LDU at 188 and 85kg shapes as a power midfielder in the Martin/Dangerfield/Fyfe mould. In my view, the perfect midfield has one of those explosive power players, so happy to see Bonar develop in the backline, but a tagging role in the middle would be a good test to see whether we can 'home grow' one of that type to put alongside LDU.

Our 'generational' midfield has a bit of sameness about it in a physical sense - Simpkin, Phillips, Powell, Lazzaro are all 180cm plus or minus a few centimetres; only LDU at 188 and 85kg shapes as a power midfielder in the Martin/Dangerfield/Fyfe mould. In my view, the perfect midfield has one of those explosive power players, so happy to see Bonar develop in the backline, but a tagging role in the middle would be a good test to see whether we can 'home grow' one of that type to put alongside LDU.

LDU, Hayden, Stephenson (although not powerful, is tall and quick), TT all big enough to play that role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back