AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Out for 4 weeks with a hamstring - 8/4

Remove this Banner Ad

???
can't even

Classic Ethan.

Dusty is clearly the best of the Brownlow winners by foot since GAJ won it.

He's an actively good kick, and can execute them under pressure. If the argument is he's not the best kick in the AFL, then sure, but of the elite midfielders, he's clearly one of the best.

???
can't even
Dusty's field kicking is comfortably the weakest part of his game. He misses as often as he hits and the odd absolutely freak pass that hits the target masks the fact he misses basic drop punts weekly.

Classic Ethan.

Dusty is clearly the best of the Brownlow winners by foot since GAJ won it.

He's an actively good kick, and can execute them under pressure. If the argument is he's not the best kick in the AFL, then sure, but of the elite midfielders, he's clearly one of the best.
Yes, he's a better kick than Fyfe, Mitchell, Dangerfield and Priddis. Lachie Neale I feel is a better kick, though neither are brilliant at it by any stretch.

Yes, he's a better kick than Fyfe, Mitchell, Dangerfield and Priddis. Lachie Neale I feel is a better kick, though neither are brilliant at it by any stretch.

I'd say Dusty is better than Neale, he attempts (and executes) difficult kicks quite regularly, and is a very good set shot. Neale is also better than the rest of that lot.

If Perkins gets to Dusty level kicking as a midfielder, we'd all be pretty happy with that outcome.

I'd say Dusty is better than Neale, he attempts (and executes) difficult kicks quite regularly, and is a very good set shot. Neale is also better than the rest of that lot.

If Perkins gets to Dusty level kicking as a midfielder, we'd all be pretty happy with that outcome.
Every time I watch Richmond there's usually a couple of kicks that he's out and clear and then misses a basic drop punt that the commentators often gloss over. He pulls off some exceptional kicks, no doubting that.

If Perkins became our dynamic inside mid I'd be over the moon, even if his kicking is only at Dangerfield levels.

Every time I watch Richmond there's usually a couple of kicks that he's out and clear and then misses a basic drop punt that the commentators often gloss over. He pulls off some exceptional kicks, no doubting that.

If Perkins became our dynamic inside mid I'd be over the moon, even if his kicking is only at Dangerfield levels.

Dangerfield reguarly bangs it long which is fine, but I wouldn't trust him to change angles and hit targets, Dusty I'd say would do so the majority of the time.

I'd rate Merrett higher by foot, but Dusty can do it through congestion better than most midfielders, and through a tag (when he feels like it at least).

Dangerfield reguarly bangs it long which is fine, but I wouldn't trust him to change angles and hit targets, Dusty I'd say would do so the majority of the time.

I'd rate Merrett higher by foot, but Dusty can do it through congestion better than most midfielders, and through a tag (when he feels like it at least).
Oh no, Dangerfield is a poor kick of the ball. Dusty is definitely better.

I like Tim Watson call.

Either way, Perkins is doing stuff that is as sustainable as Cox in the position we want him to play it's just not yet as eye catching.

I’m too young for prime Timmy. I don’t mind the Griffen call but I recall Griffen as more of a run and carry type and not a real overhead threat.

I’ll back Eth here though, Martin is very shank prone, most of the time it’s because he’s trying to hit the miracle though, not because he can’t kick

If Perkins is doing anything "only at Dangerfield levels" I think we'd all be quite chuffed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m too young for prime Timmy. I don’t mind the Griffen call but I recall Griffen as more of a run and carry type and not a real overhead threat.

I’ll back Eth here though, Martin is very shank prone, most of the time it’s because he’s trying to hit the miracle though, not because he can’t kick

Neither was I. I've watched some of the old GF and some youtube clips.

From what I've seen Watson didn't really have the aerial game of Fyfe and I don't think Archie has show anything like that either. Mainly it's physical comparison though they both seem to do everything at pace. Perkins has the similar waddle/shuffle to his movements and the kicking actions is also quite similar. Watson's kicking action looks quite bad but he was really good by foot (or so I understand).

Griffen is another good comparison.

I reckon you are short changing Griffen a little there.

He started as a run and carry player but his prime was as a big bodied inside player that could explode on the spread. Was a top 5 mid in the comp the year before he was traded to GWS.

An ok kick without being elite, his main strength was his ability to keep his feet and just keep his motor churning over.

Don’t really see the Griffen comparison. Griffen was a real run and carry player especially early in his career and he’d have to gain some serious strength to be compared to Tim Watson.

Dayne Beams played a very similar half forward role to start his career and has similar physical attributes

Compare the pair:

Club posted some highlights for Archie ^

Didn't go to ground, didn't stop running after passing off to another player, stayed involved in the play.... that's not very Essendon.

Didn't go to ground, didn't stop running after passing off to another player, stayed involved in the play.... that's not very Essendon.
Or Essington at least.

Although you have to wonder with the consistency of those traits whether it actually does describe Essendon after all...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back