AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Career best performance v Hawks - 17/3

16 - perkins.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 9, sup3rfish

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the best comp i have seen yet. Griffen at his peak was about 92kgs though, so Archie may not have his physicality.

Stylistically though that is the perfect 'inside' mid for the current game as Griffen was 6'2", strong over the ball but could run and spread with the best of them.
Yet!

Only needs to get another 5kg on his frame and he'll be there. Which isn't that unreasonable come to think of it

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
WTF is that about?
Please don't do drugs.

It isn't necessarily about drugs. I would have been the loosest goose at every cricket club I played at and that just meant assisting the entertainment at fundraising "gentlemen nights", running through Mildura naked for a few km, posing for silence of the lambs style gender reassignement attempts in front of a few hundred people, sleeping on lawns so I didn't have to go home from drinks, saying the things no one should say, pouring beer over myself, kissing blokes in front of a whole party ... you know doing things that no one else wanted to do. Sooooo mature!

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
It isn't necessarily about drugs. I would have been the loosest goose at every cricket club I played at and that just meant assisting the entertainment at fundraising "gentlemen nights", running through Mildura naked for a few km, posing for silence of the lambs style gender reassignement attempts in front of a few hundred people, sleeping on lawns so I didn't have to go home from drinks, saying the things no one should say, pouring beer over myself, kissing blokes in front of a whole party ... you know doing things that no one else wanted to do. Sooooo mature!
😐

So what you're saying is, 'loose' and drug f***** cancel each other out. Or, 'loose' is contiguous with immature?

Either way, when you consider that a Gatorade shower is a form of congratulations, I just like that Arch congratulated himself, even if there is something hedonistic about it.
So maybe, 'loose' = hedonistic.

I love the things the kids come up with these days!

DeezNuts

Team Captain
Mar 24, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Lacks a bit of composure at this stage of his career which is obviously understandable, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised how physical he is around the footy, very raw but promising

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Lacks a bit of composure at this stage of his career which is obviously understandable, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised how physical he is around the footy, very raw but promising
Yeah, there are glimpses of his will to get the ball. Really throws himself in. Polish is there just wait til he picks up the tempo of AFL, exciting!

Tank is clearly not there at the moment and to be honest he probably shouldn’t be playing but the way he stays involved (without just chasing the ball around the field), keeps his arms free, chucks himself into contests at speed, shakes tackles and tries to shape kicks to advantage suggests to me he’s a pretty special talent.

Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Tank is clearly not there at the moment and to be honest he probably shouldn’t be playing but the way he stays involved (without just chasing the ball around the field), keeps his arms free, chucks himself into contests at speed, shakes tackles and tries to shape kicks to advantage suggests to me he’s a pretty special talent.
Agree 100%. He already plays with very high intensity and little fear.

Macca18

EFC
Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
He already looks like he's been playing at the top level for 4 or 5 years with some of his contest work. Quite fearless. This is a great sign.

Valid concerns on his tank... but it's his second game and (unfortunately) limited to no football last year due to COVID.

Long way to go but we can't be anything but impressed at two of our top 10 picks so far. Look forward to seeing them all running around in the same team sometime this year.

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Perkins displays power in his play - Got a burst of speed, strong in the contest and seems to be decent in the air - He's got a good package - My only query is the quality of his field kicking.
Second game was far better than first game for kicking, I’m hoping he’s just working into the league.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Very impressed with his strength in contests. Even from the glimpses we see, you can tell he has the potential to be a dominant mid. Excited to see where he takes his game.

He had 11 disposals, but 7 of them were contested which brings a difference to our midfield.
I can see him average 14-15 contested possessions.

Back