AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Out for 4 weeks with a hamstring - 8/4

Remove this Banner Ad

We all know it's hype. I don't care. We had a sh*te season and I'm ready to have the tyres pumped up again in anticipation of a new beginning.

If it means anything to the black hat thinkers, Peter Wright was dropping marks. I hope that was satisfying to you :cool:
He’s not the type but I’d like to see at least 1 Essendon tall creating a contest and bringing the ball to ground for Smith, Walla, Perkins and/or Mozzi (later in 2021) to get into the game.

More important question, does he take Kyle’s crown as best looking when made into a woman?

Nah.

That's Dylan Clarke.

He’s not the type but I’d like to see at least 1 Essendon tall creating a contest and bringing the ball to ground for Smith, Walla, Perkins and/or Mozzi (later in 2021) to get into the game.
That guy's name is Ben Brown. On the other hand, if Wright keeps dropping marks when the season starts, maybe he can pass that off as 'bringing the ball to ground.'

That guy's name is Ben Brown. On the other hand, if Wright keeps dropping marks when the season starts, maybe he can pass that off as 'bringing the ball to ground.'

I still don't think we have ever identified a tall forward who does not bring the ball to ground.

Is there anyone playing who is so comprehensively and consistently out marked?

The ones who don't even get to the contests. Forwards where someone like McGovern can treat them with disdain and ignore their existence.

It's not just about breaking even in a marking contest, but about actually being in the contest meaning the smalls can stay down and look for the crumb instead of running around like headless chicken.

The ones who don't even get to the contests. Forwards where someone like McGovern can treat them with disdain and ignore their existence.

It's not just about breaking even in a marking contest, but about actually being in the contest meaning the smalls can stay down and look for the crumb instead of running around like headless chicken.

Who? CD must have a number that exposes someone.

For all of the talk of brining the ball to ground I can't even picture what it looks like when a key forward doesn't do that.

The reality of the way ley forwards are used most is that the ball is hacked in their directions, they're usually out of position and the ball spills to ground as 3 or 4 people fly for the ball.

For all of the talk of brining the ball to ground I can't even picture what it looks like when a key forward doesn't do that.

The reality of the way ley forwards are used most is that the ball is hacked in their directions, they're usually out of position and the ball spills to ground as 3 or 4 people fly for the ball.

The Gold Coast King twin constantly ran under the ball and was forced to crash the pack.

With experience at AFL level that’ll be rectified and he’ll be marking the ball soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gold Coast King twin constantly ran under the ball and was forced to crash the pack.

With experience at AFL level that’ll be rectified and he’ll be marking the ball soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ran under the ball? Not a thing Bruno acknowledges.

It’s not really about marking or being outmarked.

Remember when Hooker went forward in 2017 and the forward line clicked?

That was because (1) JD stopped getting constantly double teamed and (2) if he and Hooker were 1:1 they marked it or generated a soft crumb.

If teams can double team at will you see a lot of big fists that kill contests. If the forward doesn’t contest well in the air, same thing - big fists, dead contests. So for me bringing it to ground isnt about being outmarked as much as it’s about generating soft crumbs that create opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still don't think we have ever identified a tall forward who does not bring the ball to ground.

I reckon what you're looking for is failure to create a contest when the ball isn't easily-had - which leaves it easily-had for whoever's playing loose for the other team. Mitch Brown springs to mind.

I reckon what you're looking for is failure to create a contest when the ball isn't easily-had - which leaves it easily-had for whoever's playing loose for the other team. Mitch Brown springs to mind.
McKernan when he's having an off day springs to mind. In form would fly for everything. Out of form or in one of his stroppy moods and you'd always see him trailing behind in a contest or complaining to the umpire while his man was taking an uncontested mark

McKernan when he's having an off day springs to mind. In form would fly for everything. Out of form or in one of his stroppy moods and you'd always see him trailing behind in a contest or complaining to the umpire while his man was taking an uncontested mark

Even Daniher, would often play for the free if he ran under the ball. We’ve had practically zero that could plant under a high ball and wrestle.

Even Daniher, would often play for the free if he ran under the ball. We’ve had practically zero that could plant under a high ball and wrestle.

Hooker would, that’s one reason our forward line functioned much better with him there. He’d genuinely compete for everything and force the defenders in to a contest.

Daniher tried to wrestle for a bit but was terrible at it, then played for free kicks which left him off balance / out of position to influence the contest at ground level if required.

If Wright can simply make the contest every time a ball comes in the way Hooker did, our forward line will be a lot less dysfunctional even if lacking in talent.

Hooker would, that’s one reason our forward line functioned much better with him there. He’d genuinely compete for everything and force the defenders in to a contest.

Daniher tried to wrestle for a bit but was terrible at it, then played for free kicks which left him off balance / out of position to influence the contest at ground level if required.

If Wright can simply make the contest every time a ball comes in the way Hooker did, our forward line will be a lot less dysfunctional even if lacking in talent.

You’re right about Hooker. Forgot about him, should never have moved him back.

As for Wright, I think the complaint when he was last dropped was he wasn’t competing enough. Though watching Gold Coast a lot at the time he was dropped I thought it was unwarranted and their lack of forward half ball was more the issue.

Hopefully the likes of Perkins kicking to advantage in the forward line will inspire a better standard of competing.

You’re right about Hooker. Forgot about him, should never have moved him back.

As for Wright, I think the complaint when he was last dropped was he wasn’t competing enough. Though watching Gold Coast a lot at the time he was dropped I thought it was unwarranted and their lack of forward half ball was more the issue.

Hopefully the likes of Perkins kicking to advantage in the forward line will inspire a better standard of competing.
I'm hoping Perkins forward now means Langford on a wing and Cutler banished.

Hopefully his defending is better than well... pretty much everything he did in 2020

I doubt it will be but who knows, Richmond had a lot of players that looked subpar before the synergy clicked.

I doubt it will be but who knows, Richmond had a lot of players that looked subpar before the synergy clicked.

Cutler isn’t as bad as his 2020 seemed, I think it’s hard to get a read on some of the players that had a down season like Redman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back