AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Out for 4 weeks with a hamstring - 8/4

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My sense of what his ceiling might be increased pretty dramatically last night….feel like we are edging closer week by week to understanding his game and his abilities.

What we know is:
- He’s very, very powerful
- He’s quick enough and footwork is great.
- He’s clean below his knees and offloads well by hand
-Brave and strong overhead
- Repeat efforts are exceptional for a first year player
- Loves to be physical and is a competitor
- Kicking seems to be improving week by week

More and more I’m seeing glimpses of an elite midfielder.

Once you get over the increasingly annoying circle jerk over Cox's height, Archie is the one who's actually consistently demonstrating elite qualities and putting them to use on the field.

His physical work is outstanding, already adult AFL standard and he's not even close to the finished physical product. He's obviously a bit closer than Cox in terms of his physical maturity so that will be part of the reason for his superior consistency.

Archie's problem continues to be a bit of sloppiness by foot but it's improving week to week.

I'm already greedily looking forward to what he could do with after a pre-season training with the mids. He's the one we've wanted all this time, the one the prophecy said would replace Tim Watson.

Once you get over the increasingly annoying circle jerk over Cox's height, Archie is the one who's actually consistently demonstrating elite qualities and putting them to use on the field.

His physical work is outstanding, already adult AFL standard and he's not even close to the finished physical product. He's obviously a bit closer than Cox in terms of his physical maturity so that will be part of the reason for his superior consistency.

Archie's problem continues to be a bit of sloppiness by foot but it's improving week to week.

I'm already greedily looking forward to what he could do with after a pre-season training with the mids. He's the one we've wanted all this time, the one the prophecy said would replace Tim Watson.

Over simplifying the talk on height re Cox.
It is not just that he is tall, but that he is also great at ground level. He has excellent agility. He has great disposal and is as dual sided as they come. All with a sub 6min 2km.
He has a tonne of elite qualities.

But for me.
Cox could be anything.
Archie will be.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back