Past Billie Smedts

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope you don't mind me posting in this thread. I don't really know why, but for some reason I'm a bit obsessed with seeing Billie make it. I was hoping it would be for the Cats, but now I'm following him at the Blues with interest. I actually put together his highlights package from 2012-2013 below because I was trying to convince some fellow Cats fans that he had shown some talent up forward...this was just before we traded him. I might be deluded but I'd still much rather have him in our team than a Murdoch for example. We tried Billie down back after 2013 with the thinking that forward/midfield spots were taken, but the results were poor, at least when he'd have to play deep, and he'd continually get injured. He wouldn't have played that many VFL games at all until last year due to injuries.

I watched him closely in the first 2 games for the Blues this year, I could see why he was dropped as despite using the ball well (mostly) whenever he got it, he wasn't able to keep himself involved in the play regularly and didn't apply enough tackling/defensive pressure either. He played really well for the Northern Blues off half back though.

I was glad he got the call up v Sydney, and he looked great in the first half. There were two direct goal assists and a nice knock on to setup another goal, and some strong contested and tackling efforts. While his kicking style is a little unorthodox with a high-ish ball drop he's actually a pretty good user of the ball, and pretty clean gathering the ball off the ground. He's got great evasive skills too if he gets some confidence to use them again. When he first started he seemed a good set shot but that dropped away with his move from the forward line. Was disappointed for him that he didn't kick another one in his 1 goal 2 behinds. I saw an SEN rating of his game mention his poor disposal but surely that was only his 2 missed shots, or just lazy journalism.

Aside from that I'm a little miffed at the albeit rare commentary around him lumping him in with say Palmer and this so-called experience crew. I would have thought he has a bit of improvement in him as a footballer with a bit of a run at it.

I hope he keeps his spot this week barring injury and can get more and more involved in each game. I'm no expert on your team but a role running through the wing and zipping around the likes of Casboult in the forward 50 would suit I'd think. He's a reasonable mark too. Or possibly a running half back role if needed. I don't think he'll ever be a lock down defender :)

Anyway, I feel like I've seen so many worse players get long careers at clubs including Geelong, I think he's more talented than people give him credit for. I hope that he gets the chance to serve you well.

I said going into round 1 that he wasn't quite right, and it showed, but that he would pick it up with a little more match fitness. That's happened, though I think we went a shade early with him, versus giving someone like Buckley a fair shake at it.

But he's there now, and he looks like he belongs so long as he cracks in when it's his turn. The problem is he tends to do this with abandon at times, which is how he wound up with a bunch of collision injuries in the first place.

Seems to be showing a bit more faith in his body, was tentative early and didn't really attack the contest but he seems to be improving here. Seems to find it a bit and offer some pace which is good, just needs to keep building on this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back