Past Billie Smedts

Remove this Banner Ad

A player Geelong rated fairly highly at one stage but has had a lot of injuries of late. If he's fit he'll play a lot of games for us, he's a fair upgrade on a lot of others who have been playing in our forward line the last few seasons. Quick player with a powerful boot, just a matter of whether he can stay uninjured.
This

Best of luck with Billie. If given a clear run with injuries, his output will exceed your expectations IMO. He is without question a natural forward as others have already stated. His agility is outstanding although he does lack awareness at times. Has some definite X-factor too.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Very true that he looks like Joel, however:

Billie Smedts is not a ducker;
He's just some guy who hopes to play round one;
The kid will be a gun.

Watching his highlights reel, he looks like he has some mongrel in him. I like that.
Hopefully he stays on the park and have a real run, and gets his confidence up.

WHATS our 22 shaping up to ??
is smedts good to go for a proper pre season?
is marchbank good for a full pre season? obviously pickett no.

B Rowe Weitering Simpson
HB Docherty Marchbank Plowman
C Thomas Gibbs E.Curnow
HF Sumner Casboult Wright
F Everitt Silgagni C.Curnow

Foll-Kreuzer,Murphy,Cripps
Int-Phillips,Smedts,Armfield
Emg-Buckley

We need a big year from Dale ,we saw glimpses early last year....now he owes us.He owes us a big year which i would say he would be capable of and follow it up with a huge salary cut and good service after, what Judd did for us.
Everitt is also an A grader who needs to apply himself in 2017....really he is pretty good like it or not.should easily be best 22...we have not tried to dump him this time and should apply.
Lamb needs to lift a level along with Sumner,they were level pegging this year and b grade service although they both did some good things in 2016 especially Sumner.
looking at the number of trades and drafts we have lined up it will be delist for Whiley,Tutt,Graham,DVR,Sheehan[too many injuries]?...Palmer upgrade for Graham/whiley??smedts upgrade for tutt?are these big improvements or possibly minor upgrades.We need another Judd or Dion Prestia..and hey we are in finals provided we can manufacture a forward setup somehow in 2017....probably way too early.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WHATS our 22 shaping up to ??
is smedts good to go for a proper pre season?
is marchbank good for a full pre season? obviously pickett no.

B Rowe Weitering Simpson
HB Docherty Marchbank Plowman
C Thomas Gibbs E.Curnow
HF Sumner Casboult Wright
F Everitt Silgagni C.Curnow

Foll-Kreuzer,Murphy,Cripps
Int-Phillips,Smedts,Armfield
Emg-Buckley

We need a big year from Dale ,we saw glimpses early last year....now he owes us.He owes us a big year which i would say he would be capable of and follow it up with a huge salary cut and good service after, what Judd did for us.
Everitt is also an A grader who needs to apply himself in 2017....really he is pretty good like it or not.should easily be best 22...we have not tried to dump him this time and should apply.
Lamb needs to lift a level along with Sumner,they were level pegging this year and b grade service although they both did some good things in 2016 especially Sumner.
looking at the number of trades and drafts we have lined up it will be delist for Whiley,Tutt,Graham,DVR,Sheehan[too many injuries]?...Palmer upgrade for Graham/whiley??smedts upgrade for tutt?are these big improvements or possibly minor upgrades.We need another Judd or Dion Prestia..and hey we are in finals provided we can manufacture a forward setup somehow in 2017....probably way too early.

I would think if everyone was fit our round one side would look something like this. You would expect that pick 5 will be the sort who will play from the start as well.

B: Plowman Rowe Docherty
HB: Byrne Marchbank Simpson
C: C. Curnow E. Curnow Buckley
HF: Silvagni Weitering Murphy
F: Smedts McKay Pickett
OB: Kreuzer Gibbs Cripps
IC: Wright Sumner Palmer Casboult

Depth: Phillips Armfield Cuningham Everitt Thomas Boekhorst Graham Kerridge Jaksch Sheehan

I think we'll really go with our young forwards fairly strongly. A few of those names wont be available through injury you would suspect but that's how I see it. May be a few surprises.

I played a bit of junior footy with Billie so have followed his career closely. If he's going to make it at AFL level he needs to get a lot stronger and build his tank. Injuries have obviously hurt him but I've heard his rehab and preparation isn't up to the level expected of AFL footballers as well. In his junior days he dominated through natural feel for the game and would be in everything but never had any clear standout strengths or weaknesses. I think Geelong always felt that he was best suited to defence (groomed as a Mackie replacement) but he's never had the physical strength to match it with opposition forwards. To have a successful 2017 he'll need a ripper pre season and to play as a wingman/half forward. He could be a useful link up player around the ground who is good for a goal or two per game, but he'll need to get in the best condition of his career. A bit of luck, a change of scenery and a kick up the arse could see him become a handy contributor.

Seen a lot of Geelong, but not much of Billie. What I have seen of him suggests he's no steak knives. He's a talented footballer. And whoever said he was soft must have him confused with someone else. Looks a courageous player to me...

Has courage but might be mistaken as soft because he doesn't have the strength to really impose himself on contests at AFL level. After breaking so many bones it wouldn't be surprising if he starts playing with a bit of self-preservation in the back of his mind as well.

Some reasonable highlights in there. He has had heap of injuries, but I remember Steven Wells really talking him up when he drafted him.
He is good overhead mark and doesn't have a problem kicking them from outside 50.
Think he has talent, just hasn't been able to stay on the park.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back