Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

FefVqZPB.jpg

Braeden Campbell
[Player Profile TBA]
Pick 5

How to teach yourself to kick

“I’d get down to a park most days after school with dad and I’d aim for the two chains of the swing.
“He’d stand on one side, I’d stand on the other and we’d kick back and forth.
“Every time I got the ball through there I’d take a step back until I was about 30 metres away. That’s how I learned to be accurate and how I learned to strike the ball the way I do.

“I’ve always worked on my kicking. I found out it was a strength of mine when I was 15 and I kept working on it to improve it.

“I’d get down to a park most days after school with dad and I’d aim for the two chains of the swing.
“Every time I got the ball through there I’d take a step back until I was about 30 metres away. That’s how I learned to be accurate and how I learned to strike the ball the way I do.

“I’ve always worked on my kicking. I found out it was a strength of mine when I was 15 and I kept working on it to improve it.

I like this.

Shows a bit of abnormal drive

I'm going to add this link to the media thread SP. Good get!!

Been watching a bit of footage of his kicking. I reckon he is ahead of where Dawson was at the same age. Might even have a Higher ceiling than Dawson too on the kicking front, hope so anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been watching a bit of footage of his kicking. I reckon he is ahead of where Dawson was at the same age. Might even have a Higher ceiling than Dawson too on the kicking front, hope so anyway.

His combination of speed and ability to win hard balls and evade tackles definitely gives him more upside than Dawson. Always has. But it depends how well Campbell can hone all those great attributes he has into performances.

(And for anyone who wants to call me a revisionist historian on Dawson can go back and read my posts. I was pointing out his limitations when he was the Messiah on this board.)

Campbell has a way to go to cement himself in best 22. Yep we know he can kick a ball but beyond that?

His hard at it, quick and can take a player on.

I think he just needs a little confidence and his there.

His hard at it, quick and can take a player on.

I think he just needs a little confidence and his there.

Of course I like him but I hope he shows a bit more.

The comparisons with Dawson are ludicrous.

May as well compare Mumford and Clarke.

Of course I like him but I hope he shows a bit more.

The comparisons with Dawson are ludicrous.

May as well compare Mumford and Clarke.
Yep, I think he’s still got plenty of upside and there’s no reason to be concerned about him not living up to his potential at this stage.

In a lot of ways he’s probably suffering more from being compared with Gulden’s good debut season and there’s obvious reasons why the progress of both players will be tracked together.

Yep, I think he’s still got plenty of upside and there’s no reason to be concerned about him not living up to his potential at this stage.

In a lot of ways he’s probably suffering more from being compared with Gulden’s good debut season and there’s obvious reasons why the progress of both players will be tracked together.
I'm guessing even the Swans recruiters and coaches were blown away by how good and how consistent Gulden's season was. To become a truly integral part of a finals team in your debut season is almost unheard of.
I think the pre-publicity on Campbell was pretty accurate - a helluva boot and sharp speed but tank and decision making needed development.
They're pretty different and yet could end up playing similar roles getting the ball inside 50.
Campbell will never replace Dawson's marking capability but is much sharper at ground level. Hopefully the coaches can manipulate the jigsaw to get the right outcome.

I'm guessing even the Swans recruiters and coaches were blown away by how good and how consistent Gulden's season was. To become a truly integral part of a finals team in your debut season is almost unheard of.
I think the pre-publicity on Campbell was pretty accurate - a helluva boot and sharp speed but tank and decision making needed development.
They're pretty different and yet could end up playing similar roles getting the ball inside 50.
Campbell will never replace Dawson's marking capability but is much sharper at ground level. Hopefully the coaches can manipulate the jigsaw to get the right outcome.

It was no secret that Errol was more ready for senior footy than Braeden. The former averaged 80% TOG this year compared to the latter's 69% this year, which is pretty reflective of where they're at. Errol burst out of the gate and I'm predicting Braeden will catch him by his fourth or fifth season.

It was no secret that Errol was more ready for senior footy than Braeden. The former averaged 80% TOG this year compared to the latter's 69% this year, which is pretty reflective of where they're at. Errol burst out of the gate and I'm predicting Braeden will catch him by his fourth or fifth season.
You can see that Campbell has a fair bit of improvement in him and you can see where. Harder to pick where Gulden's next steps will be.
If Campbell has a super preseason I think Florent might be under a fair bit of pressure. I'll be surprised if we see him in the backline again except in emergency.

I think if you are going to compare them then you would have to say Dawson's attributes are kicking and marking, while Campbell's are kicking and pace. People will soon get over comparing the two (like i just did) when we understand that they are two completely different players.
Well they do have a different name

You can see that Campbell has a fair bit of improvement in him and you can see where. Harder to pick where Gulden's next steps will be.
If Campbell has a super preseason I think Florent might be under a fair bit of pressure. I'll be surprised if we see him in the backline again except in emergency.
Florent has superior evasive skills to Campbell. At the moment he is a much better midfield option in traffic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back