Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

FefVqZPB.jpg

Braeden Campbell
[Player Profile TBA]
Pick 5

Look at the increase in jmac’s numbers that’s where Campbell needs to be and Langdon gets it more than Campbell he’s had games in the high 20’s. Acres gets 20+ most weeks (I should know he’s usually one I follow). You can’t have 15-17 possession wingers the game has changed

BC is not used as a perma winger and is often down back. When on the wing he plays a defensive wing role. We have one inside mid on those 15-17 numbers.

BC is not used as a perma winger and is often down back. When on the wing he plays a defensive wing role. We have one inside mid on those 15-17 numbers.

Yep and we can’t have a second midfielder on those numbers. Needs to be mid 20’s or 22 at the least

McInerney is an interesting comparison who has only hit the “required numbers” (according to some above) really this season with around 22 disposals per game.

Worth noting that he is 1.5 years older than Campbell (and two seasons ahead)

McInerney is an interesting comparison who has only hit the “required numbers” (according to some above) really this season with around 22 disposals per game.

Worth noting that he is 1.5 years older than Campbell (and two seasons ahead)
Spot on.

Not to mention McInerney's attended 34 centre bounces for the year as opposed to Campbell's 3, all of which came as sub on the weekend. We're only six games in and it's already the most centre bounces McInerney's ever had in a season so far in his career. So he's had a lot more opportunity to get first hands to the ball than Campbell.

I guess where I would split the two is that at least early on it was established pretty quickly what McInerney's best games could look like. Plenty of overlap run and carry, little side-steps to break lines, winning the ball on the outside to deliver inside 50 with small bursts on the inside.

With Campbell it's often felt like all the high hopes I have for him aren't really built on any memorable performances or complete games that could be a blueprint for the kind of player he is. More just little glimpses of his ability - great goals from outside 50 out of nowhere, bursts of speed away from his opponent, etc.

That to me suggests that we haven't yet found his best role or position.

Spot on.

Not to mention McInerney's attended 34 centre bounces for the year as opposed to Campbell's 3, all of which came as sub on the weekend. We're only six games in and it's already the most centre bounces McInerney's ever had in a season so far in his career. So he's had a lot more opportunity to get first hands to the ball than Campbell.

I guess where I would split the two is that at least early on it was established pretty quickly what McInerney's best games could look like. Plenty of overlap run and carry, little side-steps to break lines, winning the ball on the outside to deliver inside 50 with small bursts on the inside.

With Campbell it's often felt like all the high hopes I have for him aren't really built on any memorable performances or complete games that could be a blueprint for the kind of player he is. More just little glimpses of his ability - great goals from outside 50 out of nowhere, bursts of speed away from his opponent, etc.

That to me suggests that we haven't yet found his best role or position.
As noted by others, he has all the weapons and I certainly get the impression he had the right attitude and temperament. It's just going to take a bit of time.

I think Campbell’s been treated a little harshly.
Although Lloyd’s been a great player over the years, I think young Braeden should be ahead of Lloyd in the current pecking order.
Give the kid an extended run in the 1’s, back him like we’ve done with Roberts, and I reckon he can easily become one of our best (top 5 to top 10) players.

I think you guys are jumping at shadows... Campbell's going to have ups and downs yet, he's still only 22. With his level of skills, I have no doubt that Horse & Co will ensure that by 24-25 we are getting the best out of him. He might be developing a bit slower than some others, but they believe he has what it takes, and I believe in them!

Imo, we should all be praising Kinnear to the skies, given we've got the depth to have a choice regarding the players we seamlessly slot in to replace him, while he goes back to the twos for a little more training and confidence building.

Yep and we can’t have a second midfielder on those numbers. Needs to be mid 20’s or 22 at the least
I've mentioned this a few times on other threads - if you listed your preferred disposal targets for every player in the 22, you'd find that added up it would break the all time disposals recorded for game. It's not possible.

I've mentioned this a few times on other threads - if you listed your preferred disposal targets for every player in the 22, you'd find that added up it would break the all time disposals recorded for game. It's not possible.

Hardly, more than comfortable with a few defensive minded mids in the 18-20 range, but the game has changed it's not 1995 anymore, high possession mids just dominate whether it be Cripps, Neale, whatever, Gulden from our side. You cannot have guys in the centre barely getting the thing 15 times. There's an in between, not asking the bloke to get it 30 times, but 22-24 is not unreasonable.

Hardly, more than comfortable with a few defensive minded mids in the 18-20 range, but the game has changed it's not 1995 anymore, high possession mids just dominate whether it be Cripps, Neale, whatever, Gulden from our side. You cannot have guys in the centre barely getting the thing 15 times. There's an in between, not asking the bloke to get it 30 times, but 22-24 is not unreasonable.
I think it would be more reasonable to judge each player on getting the ball when it's their time to go according to the circumstances of the play. I don't think it's fair to just expect a player to invent extra possies. There's a positional structure the team has to stick to, and right now our setup is proving to be quite good.

Stephens was a good example. Found himself in the vicinity of the play but was always caught in no man's land and it started to stick out like a sore thumb when unable to get involved. I don't see that issue with Campbell. When the ball is there to be won, or link up with teammates, he does it pretty well. Our usual 22 for the most part is pretty competent. The only players caught out on that front have been Corey and Mitchell with their inexperience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back