Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

FefVqZPB.jpg

Braeden Campbell
[Player Profile TBA]
Pick 5

The Chad against Richmond and then Logan under lights at the SCG. 4/4 baby!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dream bigger.

LOGAN KICKS THIRTEEN THHHHHIIIIRRRRTTTTTEEEEENNNNN!

Against Richmond.

Gulden
Campbell
McDonald
Warner
Stephens
McInerney
Gould
Carruthers
Sheather

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I would be surprised if McInerny didn't pick one up, along with Warner and McDonald, so I reckon we're odds on for 5. Stephens might nab one, but less likely.

Edit: McDonald not Campbell.

Last edited:
With Campbell and Gulden at least, they have spent around half their lives in an elite training program in the academy. So coaching has definitely been a part over a long time together with their obvious talent.

All coaching also based on our “system”, so they can come straight in knowing what’s expected.

From that perspective, it’s not surprising they know what to do on the field as a senior player. What is surprising is that they’ve adjusted so quickly to the speed of the AFL game.

Credit to everyone involved.
I think it's a catch 22 in a way because the academy kids are developed already. They come in and they are ready to play and we as supporters expect them to follow a trajectory to become champions. Look at Mills, wins the rising star and we presume that like any regular 18 year old he has a huge amount of development in him. However, that isn't the reality because he has already learnt all the things that a raw debutant from a different background hasn't. Professionalism, diet, training and all these things that could elevate an undeveloped talent to become a champion has already been achieved.
A kid like Warner has more unexploited potential than a Swans academy kid because he has not been in that professional environment and been given access to the best coaches. So I think we can appreciate how game ready these academy kids are but also temper our expectations a little.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate comparing players but you are right. Gulden looked like how Selwood looked for Geelong when he debuted just looked ready. Campbell is just so classy though and he only needs it 15 times to really hurt you got it 12 last weekend

About 80% of his disposals were kicks on the weekend, he'll kill you with that split. So will Dawson. The more those two encourage defensive forwards to be selected the better for our undersized defense

I think it's a catch 22 in a way because the academy kids are developed already. They come in and they are ready to play and we as supporters expect them to follow a trajectory to become champions. Look at Mills, wins the rising star and we presume that like any regular 18 year old he has a huge amount of development in him. However, that isn't the reality because he has already learnt all the things that a raw debutant from a different background hasn't. Professionalism, diet, training and all these things that could elevate an undeveloped talent to become a champion has already been achieved.
A kid like Warner has more unexploited potential than a Swans academy kid because he has not been in that professional environment and been given access to the best coaches. So I think we can appreciate how game ready these academy kids are but also temper our expectations a little.

Couldn't agree more. This is 100% spot on.

The academy exposes and develops potential much earlier, hence you end up drafting a player closer to their full potential. They still get bigger, stronger and more experienced, like all draftees but you just don't get that unexploited growth.

Dont get me wrong, watching Mills and Heeney develop is great. We just have to appreciate its unlikely to be on the same curve as players like Warner, Rowbottom and McInerney - which really does add a bit more hype and excitement

About 80% of his disposals were kicks on the weekend, he'll kill you with that split. So will Dawson. The more those two encourage defensive forwards to be selected the better for our undersized defense
While I agree, some of the best disposals I've seen from Campbell have been handballs. He's got really good awarness in the contest and a super quick punch. Set's up play beautifully.

His attack on the ball is fantastic. That moment on the back flank when he ran at full pace and scooped the ball up. Brilliant. Or when he ran through the pack to tap it down and collected it cleanly and kicked out to the wing. Confidently running down the wing with a bounce and delivering it to Parker. He looks like a 200 game veteran.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back