Past Gary Rohan (Missing: report any sightings to the Geelong physio) - traded 2018, to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

People defend him because they like him, I like him. I just want him to succeed

Agreed. I hesitated to call him a spud before even though all the evidence shows he probably is. Just want him to be a gun because he really has most of the tools. Pace, kicking, height, defence, effort, character.

Just doesn't seem to have ball winning ability or great footy smarts.

Yeah but come on... you can't justify his selection anymore.

Wasn’t trying to, just saying he seems to be loved by the club as much as the fans, he is our speedy spark player who seems loveable , great guy off the ground and when he does do something it is flashy /exciting

Plus he was a high pick

Trouble is club can’t be fan boys

His first season was 2010. In 2011, he suffered persistent hamstring injuries. In 2012, he broke his damn leg. He’s had subsequent soft tissue injuries on a regular basis (quite common after a bad break). His career has been continually interrupted by injury, especially early on, and that negatively impacts development.

Now, that’s not an argument for his continued selection, just a statement of fact. Had he not suffered those injuries (especially the broken leg), his career may look substantially different. But he did, and that sucks for him. We’ll never know.

I said 10 years because as a junior his speed and output was the same as it is now. They have not been hindered by injury, he still runs extremely fast, he still averages <15 disposals, and he still lacks consistency, just like he did in the u18 championships in 2009. If you read his 2009 draft profile it is like it was written yesterday.

Yeah but come on... you can't justify his selection anymore.
rohan breaking the lines and scoring a desperate goal this week against geelong off of 1 posession for the whole game would warrant his selection for me. He's the only one capable of getting us out of shite if we're in the position where we desperately need it. Don't forget it was rohans and ronkes clutch efforts that beat hawthorn

rohan breaking the lines and scoring a desperate goal this week against geelong off of 1 posession for the whole game would warrant his selection for me. He's the only one capable of getting us out of shite if we're in the position where we desperately need it. Don't forget it was rohans and ronkes clutch efforts that beat hawthorn
I’d love to see him as the lead up forward but everyone looks to Franklin. It is a bit of a problem for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one player in our team that could literally not get a single possession in a game of footy and would still get picked the following week.

He won't be dropped this week or any week before the end of the season because the coaches don't have the balls to drop him.

The one player in our team that could literally not get a single possession in a game of footy and would still get picked the following week.

He won't be dropped this week or any week before the end of the season because the coaches don't have the balls to drop him.
Why would they need balls to drop Rohan? My suspicion is that the coaches aren't using possession stats as their KPI for Rohan, so whilst some fans focus purely on the number of times he touches the ball, the coaches are looking for other actions that he must be performing well enough to retain a spot.

Personally I think the combination of Hayward and Ronke might just be enough to push Rohan out for a while. If he does play this week he needs one of those high impact games, as Reid's return is also just around the corner.

Personally I think the combination of Hayward and Ronke might just be enough to push Rohan out.

I said this a few weeks back. Rohan is no longer necessary because we have others giving us what he provides while also having a direct impact on the game.

I guess the question with Rohan is whether there is a place in the team for someone with his attributes, given his known weaknesses, as we've seen enough to know what to expect from him. I don't have the answer to that question, but Ben Ronke's pace in the forward line could force him out. Back to the HB line is another possibility, if Horse thinks we need more run there. Aliir and Rohan as attacking half backs would be an interesting proposition, though not the most accountable combination!

I guess the question with Rohan is whether there is a place in the team for someone with his attributes, given his known weaknesses, as we've seen enough to know what to expect from him. I don't have the answer to that question, but Ben Ronke's pace in the forward line could force him out. Back to the HB line is another possibility, if Horse thinks we need more run there. Aliir and Rohan as attacking half backs would be an interesting proposition, though not the most accountable combination!
Or what about as a link man on the wing?

Or what about as a link man on the wing?

I think he'd go missing too often if we played him there, given how we love to get numbers back.

I think he'd go missing no matter where we play him. He has played hb previously and was equally as bad at it. The minimal possessions he had he sprayed them. Waste of time

You could be right, his best game at hb was probably the 2014 prelim but that was an easy win against norf who in all honesty played below the level expected of a prelim finalist that night.

2014 prelim final he played off the HB line and it was one of the best games he’s played. Then lined up at CHF in the GF the next week and hardly touched it. Using him in the backline this week could work so we can get Jones into the midfield more considering we’ll lose Heeney, and KJ and Hanners are down.

I reckon he should go back to the twos and stay there until he forces his way back in, but that seems extremely unlikely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back