Past Gary Rohan (Missing: report any sightings to the Geelong physio) - traded 2018, to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Team can perform without him as evidenced on Sunday. He is a liability and I would go so far as to say if Rohan played on Sunday we lose. No longer required.
So by that logic, Franklin was the difference between our Geelong win and loss this year? See ya Buddy!

Yes, I agree. But various posters have said that Rohan's stats haven't changed in years. So either he is meeting his parameters and being selected accordingly or he is not meeting them and still being picked. If it is the latter, then certainly Harley would know. The CFO would have overview of contracts, match payments, extension criteria etc and he would certainly know if someone was not meeting the contractual obligations (for years on end) and still receiving match payments, and by extension, so would the CEO. There would be trips and alerts embedded into the system to stop the very thing you are talking about, not because they don't trust Horse or the match committee, just because it is only good business sense to avoid putting human nature to the test.

The players contracts would become more and more detailed over the years to protect both the club and the players from things like favouritism, personality clashes, etc. Since the advent of the Players Association, there would be even more detailed.

I could see that if we were talking about a period of a month or two, maybe then it could happen; but over years I just can't see it.

I'm not referring to anything that might be encompassed in contractual stipulations really, more the week to week expectations of what Rohan brings to the side. I certainly agree that we can assume he has met them for years because the evidence for that is he continues to be picked. But I would sya that is indicative of the coaches holding him to an entirely too low standard, one which has not actually helped the club at all.

I feel like the entire coaching staff has swallowed the Rioli narrative for Rohan. That he can have a huge effect on games with 10 touches. That was true for Rioli but Rohan has never been on his level for consistency of value or impact or presence from his disposals and pressure. So my frustration is more with the coaches than Rohan himself, he does what he can do and doesn't control if he gets picked; the coaches do however and they've misread Rohan badly imo.

I'm not referring to anything that might be encompassed in contractual stipulations really, more the week to week expectations of what Rohan brings to the side. I certainly agree that we can assume he has met them for years because the evidence for that is he continues to be picked. But I would sya that is indicative of the coaches holding him to an entirely too low standard, one which has not actually helped the club at all.

I feel like the entire coaching staff has swallowed the Rioli narrative for Rohan. That he can have a huge effect on games with 10 touches. That was true for Rioli but Rohan has never been on his level for consistency of value or impact or presence from his disposals and pressure. So my frustration is more with the coaches than Rohan himself, he does what he can do and doesn't control if he gets picked; the coaches do however and they've misread Rohan badly imo.
In some ways I totally agree with you. I think that he could do a lot more than he does, and it's frustrating as hell that we never see it. A bit like Reid in many ways, who (imo) could have been a great forward but never reached his potential due to the need for him to be a swingman. Rohan has had so much potential that never seems to have been used... but unlike Reid, I can't seem to find the logical reason that it has not.

But over time, I have come to the conclusion that he does exactly what he is asked to do. I can't see exactly what it is or explain how that role helps/contributes to the good of the team; but just because I can't identify or explain it, does not mean that it is not there and that he is not performing it admirably.

I would really hate to think that you could right about the coaching staff (bolded), because that would completely derail my trust in the coaching staff as a whole. If they were so easily misled, how could we explain our results over the past 5 years?

In some ways I totally agree with you. I think that he could do a lot more than he does, and it's frustrating as hell that we never see it. A bit like Reid in many ways, who (imo) could have been a great forward but never reached his potential due to the need for him to be a swingman. Rohan has had so much potential that never seems to have been used... but unlike Reid, I can't seem to find the logical reason that it has not.

But over time, I have come to the conclusion that he does exactly what he is asked to do. I can't see exactly what it is or explain how that role helps/contributes to the good of the team; but just because I can't identify or explain it, does not mean that it is not there and that he is not performing it admirably.

I would really hate to think that you could right about the coaching staff (bolded), because that would completely derail my trust in the coaching staff as a whole. If they were so easily misled, how could we explain our results over the past 5 years?

In terms of what he can do, I agree to a point. I think he has all of the physical attributes to be a much better player. I honestly think it comes down to his mental/football IQ. Knowing where to run to find the ball and how to stay involved. That's hard to prove with tangible evidence though. It's just always been a feeling I've had with Rohan. Although you could also argue that Rohan was almost exactly this player as an Under 18's player. A really fast guy who can speed around nailing a tackle here and there and kick an awesome goal now and then but then go missing for huge chunks of matches. So in that sense, maybe Rohan being this isn't a surprise after all and it's just that he was picked so high that makes some of us disappointed. Of course he had the injury, but that was a looooong time in the past now.

And re: the coaches, I don't think that the coaches mishandling the Rohan situation is an indication that the coaches are incompetent. They clearly aren't and we've been in contention for years now. We obviously have good coaches who know what they're doing. I just think they got this one horribly wrong and if more was expected of Rohan and there were consequences for his no-shows, maybe he would have developed into a more consistent player by now. Who knows? Maybe that more consistent player could have helped get us over the line in the '16 GF rather than contribute nothing. Or maybe he'd be the same player. All I know is handling Rohan the way they have in the past has not generated a satisfactory outcome. So, coaches, how about trying something different to get a better outcome.

It's just very frustrating to see a player contribute so little to our eyes but remain in the good graces of the coaches without anyone challenging them on why he has remained in the side for so long. But maybe this is the start of something new and he will be forced to play reserves for a while. I certainly hope so.

In terms of what he can do, I agree to a point. I think he has all of the physical attributes to be a much better player. I honestly think it comes down to his mental/football IQ. Knowing where to run to find the ball and how to stay involved. That's hard to prove with tangible evidence though. It's just always been a feeling I've had with Rohan. Although you could also argue that Rohan was almost exactly this player as an Under 18's player. A really fast guy who can speed around nailing a tackle here and there and kick an awesome goal now and then but then go missing for huge chunks of matches. So in that sense, maybe Rohan being this isn't a surprise after all and it's just that he was picked so high that makes some of us disappointed. Of course he had the injury, but that was a looooong time in the past now.

And re: the coaches, I don't think that the coaches mishandling the Rohan situation is an indication that the coaches are incompetent. They clearly aren't and we've been in contention for years now. We obviously have good coaches who know what they're doing. I just think they got this one horribly wrong and if more was expected of Rohan and there were consequences for his no-shows, maybe he would have developed into a more consistent player by now. Who knows? Maybe that more consistent player could have helped get us over the line in the '16 GF rather than contribute nothing. Or maybe he'd be the same player. All I know is handling Rohan the way they have in the past has not generated a satisfactory outcome. So, coaches, how about trying something different to get a better outcome.

It's just very frustrating to see a player contribute so little to our eyes but remain in the good graces of the coaches without anyone challenging them on why he has remained in the side for so long. But maybe this is the start of something new and he will be forced to play reserves for a while. I certainly hope so.
Hmmm, I agree that it is very frustrating, and it would be great if we could get an overview of what each players role is (especially his!) without giving away strategic info, but I suspect that this may have to wait until retirement. I'll ask anyway and see how I go...

The problem with the going back to the reserves is what if he does exactly the same there and then is picked again? We still wouldn't know why he has been picked and if anything, the frustration levels would be even higher!!! I can think of a number of posters whose heads would explode, lol!

BB Codes: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/help/bb-codes (These let you format your text in lots of cool ways)

Good Luck! I'm have trouble understanding it... :( and need it for my preview in a couple of weeks.
When did the Geelong preview @ scg I could not work out how to control the width of the columns - I tried putting any of "." or "-" or "-" as part of the column heading without success.

I can possibly help with it, if you need help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did the Geelong preview @ scg I could not work out how to control the width of the columns - I tried putting any of "." or "-" or "-" as part of the column heading without success.

I can possibly help with it, if you need help.
Cool will PM you when I try to transfer it... did you look at the bb-codes? Were they helpful to you?

So, I have written to the Swans asking them to do a series of articles on where each player plays and what their role is. I explained that I am a fan (and member) but haven't much technical knowledge or understanding of the game. I've asked for a general overview and just enough depth so that all those who have never played the game at all or even those who have played but not to any high level, will understand what John is talking about when he says "everyone plays their role". I've asked them to explain whether the roles change from week to week depending on the opposition, or whether the role remains the same but adapts to the required match ups. If they agree, then we will all know what Gary's role is (sort of).

I'll let you all know if there is any outcome...

So, I have written to the Swans asking them to do a series of articles on where each player plays and what their role is. I explained that I am a fan (and member) but haven't much technical knowledge or understanding of the game. I've asked for a general overview and just enough depth so that all those who have never played the game at all or even those who have played but not to any high level, will understand what John is talking about when he says "everyone plays their role". I've asked them to explain whether the roles change from week to week depending on the opposition, or whether the role remains the same but adapts to the required match ups. If they agree, then we will all know what Gary's role is (sort of).

I'll let you all know if there is any outcome...

I really wish there was something akin to zonalmarking.net for AFL.

Yeah, that'd be great... if I knew what you were talking about, Lol! What is it and why do we need it?

Yeah, that'd be great... if I knew what you were talking about, Lol! What is it and why do we need it?

Don't worry, I looked it up... that would be so way cool! Surely there must be something... I might go investigating on the main board

So is he injured (or mental health) or dropped?

I'd really like to see him have a couple of games at NEAFL level so he can get his hands on the ball a bit and get some confidence back.

He is a valuable tool when he's on, but its just not consistent enough at AFL level

Cool will PM you when I try to transfer it... did you look at the bb-codes? Were they helpful to you?
Yes, but I do know basic html code as well so bb-codes did make sense.

So is he injured (or mental health) or dropped?

I'd really like to see him have a couple of games at NEAFL level so he can get his hands on the ball a bit and get some confidence back.

He is a valuable tool when he's on, but its just not consistent enough at AFL level

He was 1st drop on the weekend, warmed up and everything. Just form or matchups had him out it would seem.

Ok mate. Believe what you want.
Goal (Dennis where are you) in the goal square to win us the game.
Brilliant running mark that saved us against Hawthorn.
Now I admit I am not at the games as I am 500km or half way between Sydney and Melbourne, so I do not have the chance to see the Swans too often.
What I see so often on the TV coverage is ever present Buddy at half forward and at least two defenders hanging off him when the kick is directed to him from half back flank. So what are the options for the No.2 forward be it Reid or now McCartin. Both to my eyes ,mark a lot when in the true CHF position. Where does that leave the Noi.3 forward such as Rohan or Jack, frequently Parker and sometimes Kennedy.
Where do the latter two do most damage in the air...dead set in front 30 metres out, in the case of Parker for certain.
I cannot for the life of me see why the switch at half back to the middle and then onwards to Rohan of a fast lead, well away from Franklin is not utilised.
Gunston ands Breust for Hawks have made a living out of it, Roughead is the lead to open everything up on so many hit ups.
Sure the kick to the middle can be risky, getting out of bed comes sometimes also be risky.
We have seen Rohan on the fast lead and while he can drop some, confidence will build if he knows he has a chance of being utilised.
I just ask the question...should we trade him? Think about it folks, straight to Geelong where he would be a nightmare too dangerous to even contemplate.
Dangerfield leading right, Rohan to the left,... be wonderful to behold....i don't think.
We had great success when Buddy was out injured much to our astonishment. The forward plan was adjusted accordingly and now we reap the benefit of two great
small forwards.
A little more tinkering to what we ask of Buddy, how we use other alternatives especially in the case of Rohan and Hayward and we will be a nightmare for other teams to handle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back