Past Gary Rohan (Missing: report any sightings to the Geelong physio) - traded 2018, to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

We did a few years ago problem is he kept turning the ball over or getting caught HTB looked awesome when it worked tho.

Kicking it straight to Hodge in the 2014 GF is one of those hard to forget moments.
Fair enough.

If they persist with him could be really damaging, I thought his skills are usually pretty good?

You’ll need some dash off half back post McVeigh, I’d mould him into that role.

Fair enough.

If they persist with him could be really damaging, I thought his skills are usually pretty good?

You’ll need some dash off half back post McVeigh, I’d mould him into that role.

I think he will forever be a sub 10 disposal player but can kick a goal or two, actually Gary Rohan is the perfect sub player.

I think Gary will be just fine, thanks. Manic tackler/chaser. Long accurate kick. Important in getting us to finals in 2016, likewise in 2017, kicking crucial goals v adelaide, richmond and dons. Low possession getter but his touches/cameos can turn a game. A player that brings much needed energy to the team.

Perhaps it is his role.
Then that's just s**t coaching for such a "damaging player"
Why? If every player in the team has a role to play, and they are all playing their role, when it all comes together they are unbeatable. When it doesn't they win by the skin of their teeth or lose by not much...

The aim, if I understand it correctly, is to get the best out of the team, not the player. Everyone thinks that Reid would play his best as a stay at home forward, and never reached his potential because he was moved around too much. However, the coaches obviously think that he can offer the most to the team as a swing man, and do not worry about his potential. What if it's the same for Rohan?

Why? If every player in the team has a role to play, and they are all playing their role, when it all comes together they are unbeatable. When it doesn't they win by the skin of their teeth or lose by not much...

The aim, if I understand it correctly, is to get the best out of the team, not the player. Everyone thinks that Reid would play his best as a stay at home forward, and never reached his potential because he was moved around too much. However, the coaches obviously think that he can offer the most to the team as a swing man, and do not worry about his potential. What if it's the same for Rohan?
If he's such a "damaging player" he should be let loose. Or maybe he's just not such a "damaging player"

If he's such a "damaging player" he should be let loose. Or maybe he's just not such a "damaging player"
Again, why? What does it matter if he's a damaging player or not if he fulfills the role he has been given?

So you know what role he's been given?
No, I don't... that's my whole point! From the way he plays, and the fact that he continues to be selected, it is obvious that he is not being given free rein. So I'm asking the board what do you think his role might be? Whether it's good coaching or bad is too subjective, if we can't figure out what he is being asked to do. Plenty of you guys seem to know a lot about the upper levels of the game, if not actual AFL standard, and I imagine that role playing would begin in the top level league teams, so I thought I'd ask....

I don't know how 'damaging' a player he is or what his role may be. All I know is that he forgets his lines of his role and gets stage fright at the MCG in big games.

Given his abject record there at the pointy end of the season I see little value in playing him in h and a games at the SCG where he sometimes appears damaging or plays his role.

Seems a great bloke and maybe he'd do better at another club. The end of 2018 will be time for club and player to move on.

No, I don't... that's my whole point! From the way he plays, and the fact that he continues to be selected, it is obvious that he is not being given free rein. So I'm asking the board what do you think his role might be? Whether it's good coaching or bad is too subjective, if we can't figure out what he is being asked to do. Plenty of you guys seem to know a lot about the upper levels of the game, if not actual AFL standard, and I imagine that role playing would begin in the top level league teams, so I thought I'd ask....
I thought I'd ask too, because I have no idea. I could tell you what I'd like to see and that is a 15 possession game plan for Rohan because I do like him

I don't know how 'damaging' a player he is or what his role may be. All I know is that he forgets his lines of his role and gets stage fright at the MCG in big games.

Given his abject record there at the pointy end of the season I see little value in playing him in h and a games at the SCG where he sometimes appears damaging or plays his role.

Seems a great bloke and maybe he'd do better at another club. The end of 2018 will be time for club and player to move on.

Any chance of letting 2018 get started before writing off players. Fingers crossed this is the first pre season he gets through where he doesn't start in round sixish. The only player at this stage who is a dead set worry is Tippett, coming off indifferent form and no pre season due to injury, doesn't bode well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought I'd ask too, because I have no idea. I could tell you what I'd like to see and that is a 15 possession game plan for Rohan because I do like him
Couldn't care less how many possessions Rohan gets as it's one of the most overrated stats in the game. For him it's all about impact - be it goals, tackles, or gut runs.

The over emphasis on individual stats is ridiculous when you're playing a team game involving 44 players.

Couldn't care less how many possessions Rohan gets as it's one of the most overrated stats in the game. For him it's all about impact - be it goals, tackles, or gut runs.

The over emphasis on individual stats is ridiculous when you're playing a team game involving 44 players.
Hmm let's see... So you don't want someone who is a great talent, good user of the ball, and a high meters gained player, used in a game plan that gives them more focus on attack and possession? Your theory is, so long as he runs hard..... Awesome

He's had zero impact in our terrible finals losses over the last few years:

2014 GF: 7 touches, 1 tackle, 0 goals
2015 QF: 8 touches, 3 tackles, 0 goals
2015 SF: 11 touches, 2 tackles, 0 goals
2016 GF: 5 disposals, 6 tackles, 1 goal
2017 SF: 7 disposals, 4 tackles, 0 goals

That's why he's frustrating, because it's almost guaranteed that after a bad loss you can look on the stat sheet.

Look, no one wants Gary Rohan to be bad. I would genuinely love it if he managed to pull it all together because when he's on he's fantastic and he seems like a genuinely nice person. But you can talk all you want about different KPIs and whatever, but I just don't think it's borne out by the stats. Once in his career has he had consecutive games with 5 or more tackles. Heck, he has the exact same average of tackles per game as Jetta!

He's had zero impact in our terrible finals losses over the last few years:

2014 GF: 7 touches, 1 tackle, 0 goals
2015 QF: 8 touches, 3 tackles, 0 goals
2015 SF: 11 touches, 2 tackles, 0 goals
2016 GF: 5 disposals, 6 tackles, 1 goal
2017 SF: 7 disposals, 4 tackles, 0 goals

That's why he's frustrating, because it's almost guaranteed that after a bad loss you can look on the stat sheet.

Look, no one wants Gary Rohan to be bad. I would genuinely love it if he managed to pull it all together because when he's on he's fantastic and he seems like a genuinely nice person. But you can talk all you want about different KPIs and whatever, but I just don't think it's borne out by the stats. Once in his career has he had consecutive games with 5 or more tackles. Heck, he has the exact same average of tackles per game as Jetta!

But as I said, it's a team game and the emphasis on individual player stats is ridiculous. The common denominator with the games you mentioned is usually that our midfield gets beaten. When our mids get beaten, of course the flashy forward flanker doesn't rack up big numbers.. Our game plan has been built around contested footy, yet our list is not the best suited to that style. Also important to note that Rohan did impact a number of games during the home & away season - you don't make finals without winning those games.

Jetta is actually a good comparison because both have that game-breaking acceleration and skills. In 2012 we used Jetta extremely well by freeing him up to run in space and attack. In the years that followed we moved Jetta to play more behind the ball. The trend of having flashy half back runners seemed to dictate this move, which completely blunted Jetta's influence. Similarly with Rohan, we are constantly shifting him between full forward and half back. In my opinion he's not a half back runner, he's a pressure forward.

I'm certainly not saying Rohan is the finished product - I'd love to see him improve and have more impact in big games. I just think it's seriously weak analysis to pick him as the big game scapegoat when the issues start elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back