Past Gary Rohan (Missing: report any sightings to the Geelong physio) - traded 2018, to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm let's see... So you don't want someone who is a great talent, good user of the ball, and a high meters gained player, used in a game plan that gives them more focus on attack and possession? Your theory is, so long as he runs hard..... Awesome
Uh, it's probably best to just stick to the literal meaning of the words I write, rather than trying to infer random meanings.

Last edited:

No. I understand you completely. I just don't agree with your previous post. And I'm a sarcastic campaigner
Fair enough, though all I really said in that post was that possession stats are overrated which is pretty hard to dispute.

Every time there is 1 guy with the ball gaining a possession stat, there are 35 others doing something off the ball that are generally missing any statistical recognition. Perfect example is the role of tagger which rarely produces impressive stats, yet can have a huge influence on the game.

Fair enough, though all I really said in that post was that possession stats are overrated which is pretty hard to dispute.

Every time there is 1 guy with the ball gaining a possession stat, there are 35 others doing something off the ball that are generally missing any statistical recognition. Perfect example is the role of tagger which rarely produces impressive stats, yet can have a huge influence on the game.

I think this is right. I made the point after the Richmond game that I had noticed Towers running hard back to cut off Richmond's forward run which in my humble opinion had a lot to do with turning the game in our favour. He was criticised for his low possession count that day but his efforts were critical. Similar with Rohan against St Kilda who simply couldn't find an avenue forward. But I don't think Rohan has Towers' tank.

Averages at the SCG:

Disposals: 10.36
Goals: 1.27
Marks: 3.69
Tackles: 2.47

Away from the SCG:

Disposals: 9.84
Goals: 0.72
Marks: 3.13
Tackles: 2.67

So yeah, he's slightly better at the SCG in general play, and much better at kicking goals. If we define him 'going missing' as getting <10 disposals in a match, he's done that on 37 occasions (I've excluded the 10 games where he played as the sub). So that's 45% of his games played where he'll have single figure disposals. I think you'd struggle to find anyone else in the league (excluding ruckmen) with almost 100 games played with single figure disposal counts in almost half their games.

The fact is he's almost 100 games into his career at this point and I can't see him changing much. I wouldn't be giving him regular games in the seniors until he can actually show the ability in the reserves to involve himself in the play more often.

I think I agree with you. Key phrase being 'I think', because Gary is such an enigma to me. I think we all know deep down he's never warranted a guaranteed place in the best 22 based on form, but we all want him in the side because we like the idea of him. A lightning-quick, marking target who is dangerous around goals and has outstanding defensive pressure. He gets compared to Cyril Rioli a fair bit by commentators and he has all the tools to be everything Rioli is. He just does not deliver anywhere near enough. Rioli is one of the most over-rated players I've ever seen, but he still performs consistently enough to have earned three All Australian selections. Right now if you could pick 300 players in the AFL who are worthy of All Australian in any given position, Rohan wouldn't make that 300.

It's such a case of weighing his pros with his cons

Unhappily the guy has proven he cannot play at the G in Finals. It is a head not an ability problem. He should be no more than an important depth player.
Iagree on that. He will probably do some great stuff throught the season, but if we get to the pointy end and he chokes again, he is a list clogger. Not sure what his contract status is but he really needs to get his head around finals footy!

Hmm disposals are an interesting stat.

#funfacts

Since 2012 the swans have averaged 379.3 disposals per game (This number is fairly constant and doesn't fluctaute wildly year on year +-10). You can break that down further to each player of the 22 getting 17 disposals/game (If you assume that all players should touch the ball equally, which they don't but I cbf doing the math for fwd,mid,def).

Onward to Gary!

Rohan averages 10 disposals/game. Which means he touches the ball less than the "average" swans player.
To give Gary an extra 7 disposals to get him to contribute an 'average' number of disposals, you'll need to take disposals away from someone else.

If you're going to suggest Player A should get more disposals, you should really be talking about whom they will be taking their disposals from, and how shifting the balance to Gary will effect the game plan.

PS: Before anyone say 'Dean Towers'.

Dean averages more
  • Disposals
  • Hitouts
  • Inside 50's
  • Goal assists
  • Contested possessions
  • Uncontested possessions
  • Effective disposals
  • Clearances.

#funfacts

Since 2012 the swans have averaged 379.3 disposals per game (This number is fairly constant and doesn't fluctaute wildly year on year +-10). You can break that down further to each player of the 22 getting 17 disposals/game (If you assume that all players should touch the ball equally, which they don't but I cbf doing the math for fwd,mid,def).

Onward to Gary!

Rohan averages 10 disposals/game. Which means he touches the ball less than the "average" swans player.
To give Gary an extra 7 disposals to get him to contribute an 'average' number of disposals, you'll need to take disposals away from someone else.

If you're going to suggest Player A should get more disposals, you should really be talking about whom they will be taking their disposals from, and how shifting the balance to Gary will effect the game plan.

Dean averages more
  • Disposals
  • Hitouts
  • Inside 50's
  • Goal assists
  • Contested possessions
  • Effective disposals
  • Clearances.
Come on... you can't really be expecting be expecting that logic and reality are going to make a difference... ;):p

Come on... you can't really be expecting be expecting that logic and reality are going to make a difference... ;):p

I live in a world where richmond are premiers.

Logic and reality have nothing to do with this universe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We did a few years ago problem is he kept turning the ball over or getting caught HTB looked awesome when it worked tho.

Kicking it straight to Hodge in the 2014 GF is one of those hard to forget moments.

McGlynn didn’t move at all to teceive that kick in though, at worst should’ve been a spoil by hodge if he did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#funfacts

Onward to Gary!

Dean averages more
  • Disposals
  • Hitouts
  • Inside 50's
  • Goal assists
  • Contested possessions
  • Effective disposals
  • Clearances.

What if Gary raised the average to 386.3?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread wouldn't be this long.

Wasn’t your point that, for Gary to have seven more disposals, another team member would need to have seven less? I’m raising the possibility that there is an alternative to your assumption the team average can’t improve.

Wasn’t your point that, for Gary to have seven more disposals, another team member would need to have seven less? I’m raising the possibility that there is an alternative to your assumption the team average can’t improve.

I think his point was that every player on the team doesn't need to have high average possessions for the team to function well. They each just need to play their part. If Gary starts having a higher average possession rate, but the team is out of kilter, then regardless of whether the overall average increases, it is a bad thing for the team.

In order for the average I provided before to increase to 386, the swans would have to average 425 disposals for every game in 2018. That's an extra 45 posessions per game. If you're going to attribute those to Gary, he'd be getting 55 disposals/game in every game for 2018.

Raising averages is incredibly difficult.

I think his point was that every player on the team doesn't need to have high average possessions for the team to function well. They each just need to play their part. If Gary starts having a higher average possession rate, but the team is out of kilter, then regardless of whether the overall average increases, it is a bad thing for the team.

Correct. Also the team being relatively stable at 380 means that Someone is going to get ~10 touches/game. I doubt that will change.

I bet it would!

A 55 disposal/game average season would be entertaining to see.

Just my two cents worth on Rohan - he appeared (to me anyway) that his mind wasn't 100% on the field.
I know he's never been the most involved of players, but at the game he seemed less involved than normal, very few pressure acts of the ball that I noticed and that is usually his strong suit.
Now with what he and his wife are going through at home, this is totally understandable, but at the same time he has a commitment to the club and playing is probably a bit of a pressure release for him. So the conundrum for everyone involved (if this is really the problem and not some old lady with a bleeding heart rambling on) is what's best for both him and the team.

Basically I think, till the hell of the next few months has passed, perhaps he should just play neafl.

Jewelsbon did you post in the wrong thread? I moved your post here as I thought it fit better in the designated player watch thread.

I'm not a Rohan detractor but I'm not a Rohan Fan Club Member either. He can be deceptively lazy at times choosing to do a run down tackle when he knows he needs to pull his finger out after he has bludged at 3 or 4 previous contests. Then You Have The Rohan that will bust his gut to get to a contest or run back with the flight of the ball or kick an uplifting goal through sheer will and determination. Having said all that anyone that thinks he is currently in the sort of form that warrants selection just because he is valuable because of the undoubted qualities he has is plain kidding themselves. He is no relevant danger to any opposition in his current form which as we know could be a mindset problem. ( Sympathy ) It is as simple as if we have a player to come into the side this week that can offer more than Rohan currently is Rohan should be omitted. If not he stays because we know he is best 22 in what we hope is the best side that can deliver possible success this year. Will say though, regardless of potential in a rookie or ability in a seasoned campaigner when it is not delivered upon there has to be a tipping point.

Just my two cents worth on Rohan - he appeared (to me anyway) that his mind wasn't 100% on the field.
I know he's never been the most involved of players, but at the game he seemed less involved than normal, very few pressure acts of the ball that I noticed and that is usually his strong suit.
Now with what he and his wife are going through at home, this is totally understandable, but at the same time he has a commitment to the club and playing is probably a bit of a pressure release for him. So the conundrum for everyone involved (if this is really the problem and not some old lady with a bleeding heart rambling on) is what's best for both him and the team.

Basically I think, till the hell of the next few months has passed, perhaps he should just play neafl.
Or not play at all.
Just look after what's really important in life.
It's funny how we have recently made the comparison to Cyril on field so perhaps we should also make one off field be ause in tbe off season, the Hawks let Cyril forget about footy to deal with his family stuff.
It works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back