Player Watch 16. Isaac Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

331770-isaac-smith.jpg

No.16 Isaac Smith:
SMITH%20Isaac%20246A.jpg

Draft history: 2010 NAB AFL Draft 1st round selection (Hawthorn) No. 19 overall.

Height: 188cm
Weight: 77kg
DOB: 30-12-1988

From HFC: "Mature-aged medium midfielder/forward who has enjoyed a meteoric rise in 2010, starting the year playing with Redan in the Ballarat League in central Victoria and finishing in North Ballarat’s VFL premiership side. Has exceptional pace, endurance and agility and, provided he gets through the summer and adds a bit of upper-body strength, would appear a big chance to crack a regular berth in Hawthorn’s best 22. Will love the wide-open spaces at the MCG and Aurora Stadium."

Draftee highlights package:
http://lon-cdn220-is-1.se.bptvpd.ng...TV/Draftees/2010_draftees_isaac_smith_1mb.mp4

Some background articles following his drafting:
"Timed to Perfection - HFC" http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/NEWS/NewsArticle/tabid/4742/newsid/106175/default.aspx
"Age No Barrier to New Hawks - HFC" http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/NEWS/NewsArticle/tabid/4742/newsid/105539/default.aspx

Isaac was one of our selections for the NAB Cup opener, a triangle match against Fremantle and WCE where we won, and lost one game, knocking us out of the competition.

Smith vs. WCE:
I.Smith: 2K 0H 2D 0M 0HO 2T 0FF 0FA 0.0G 0B 14DT

Smith vs. Freo:
I.Smith: 3K 1H 4D 0M 0HO 1T 1FF 0FA 1.0G 0B 27DT

Beandip's Summary:
Smith's first run for the brown and gold, and he didn't do to badly to be honest, nothing to set the world on fire, but didn't look too out of place. Showed a bit of his run and carry, got involved in a couple of chains of play, and even bombed an opportunistic 9-pointer off a step.

Mr. Smith played for us in the NAB Challenge 3, against Richmond and I was able to get some information from it (I think he also played in Challenge 2 against NM, but I'm not sure how he went).

Smith vs. Richmond:
I. Smith: 4K 9H 13D 6M 0HO 1T 0FF 0FA 0.0G 0B

Beandip's Summary:
Had a slow start but started to show more in the second half, picking up a cruisey 6 marks and 13 touches. His kicks go a mile, and his disposal efficiency by foot looks pretty tight to me (by hand needs a bit of polish). He did a couple of things that looked pretty exciting and promising, in one instance he received a handball from behind with one hand, without breaking stride at reasonable speed... it just looked so fluent, and he was about to send it deep inside attack, like poetry... but then a free was awarded off ball (gutted).

Good luck tonight Isaac. There are only three words you need to remember when you run out "I belong here!"

Show 'em how clean your heals are mate.

Round 7: HAW vs. PTA @ AAMI.

Isaac Smith vs. PTA:

Smith_rd7.jpg

Dream Team: 89 , Supercoach: 102

BeanDip's Summary:
There have been a lot of people speculating whether Isaac was ready to take the step to AFL level, I feel like he answered with quite a firm "definitely" on Friday night. Isaac's performance was a real shining light in an otherwise quite ordinary game. He showed a few glimpses of things that could make him a huge asset at Hawthorn starting from now... the commentators were likening him to Stephen Hill from Fremantle, I wouldn't be disappointed... :)

Positives:
- He is not afraid to take the game on and use his speed.
- He has SUPER fast and clean hands in congestion, I paid particularly close attention to some of the quick handballs he shot off while being tackled in traffic.
- Uses his excellent kicking to maximum effect, was shooting at 90% efficiency on Friday, and it looked a bit nervy, can't wait to see him with more confidence.
- Lead the team for inside 50's, this was a huge plus with Young having a dog, and Rioli out, he was thumping it in long, his kicks went up about 1km into the air, but seemed to work out every time.
- He is a smart player, who positions well and kicks to advantage. He just naturally does intelligent things, for example he was hard up against the boundary line after chasing down a loose ball and executed a nice little bit of class handballing to the ground as he was met, it showed excellent composure for a kid in his first game (unfortunately it had snuck out just earlier). Just other little things as well like he seems to think what's going to happen next, and starts moving to be there for it.
- Despite being light of frame he does not mind going in hard to packs and getting his own ball, a few times I saw him running hard into traffic and packs.
- Has excellent endurance, didn't bat an eyelid in his first game, ran hard to make space and get on the end of chains, and this is after he played at Box Hill (when most others didn't) I believe.
- He exudes a real infectious confidence, I like the way he goes about it, seems to have a really good head on his shoulders, his genuine excitement when he kicked his first, and he was always getting there to enthusiastically congratulate team mates.
- His first AFL goal was a gem, cleanly gathered a toe poke from Roughy, made a cut, burnt off his opponents streaming from the centre and slammed it home from a good 45m out (3/4 post high!).

[YOUTUBE]FT54FVs4k7E[/YOUTUBE]

Negatives:
- Um....well......hmm... not much.
- I suppose on one occasion he interfered with a Buddy goal, but in his defense I think he did the right thing trying to pick it up, as it was a scrubbing kick and not guaranteed to go through.
- He was a bit quiet in the first half, but again it was his first game and the momentum was against us, just needed a while to find his feet I think.

The Future:
- I think if Isaac can keep up his momentum he is going to be a very special player, he shows glimpses of absolute brilliance, and yet he is still raw as they come, a lot of these other 'rookies' have been playing at a professional level for years and years but he's just starting to put it all together.
- As his confidence grows and he picks up the game plan (or lack there of?) more and more, his long kicking, speed and intelligence will come to the fore.
- I should think some of the fringe players will be very worried about their spots. Bruce may struggle to come back in. Compared to Young last night, he looked like a faster, more effective model.

Likelihood of selection next week?
- Almost 100% I'd say, he really didn't put a foot wrong, and if his fitness is up for it, he should get a second game. He is all upside really, can only improve.

Congratulations on such an impressive first outing Isaac, against a team with their tails up following recent humiliation, at a ground that we're normally a laughing stock at.

Also an article from the HFC website: "Dream Start for Smith"

Season 2011 update.

Played in the seniors in Round 8 vs St Kilda @ the M.C.G.

This game cost us dearly even though we won. Stephen Gilham went down with a season ending knee injury in the opening minutes and David Hale also left the game with a knee injury.

Little did we know that Isaac Smith also suffered a leg injury in the 1st quarter but stayed on to play out the game.

As a result missed 2 senior games.

Returned to Box Hill for their round 10 clash with Geelong at Box Hill oval on Saturday 4 June 2011. Smith kicked 2 goals in the 1 point loss to the Cats.

Round 13: HAW vs. GCS @ Aurora.

Isaac Smith vs. GCS:

Smith_rd13.jpg

Dream Team: 99pts.

Beandip's Summary:
Another excellent outing from Isaac, we really benefit from his pace and skills. He scored us 2 nice goals on the run to help push us ahead of the GC when they were running alright in the first quarter.
He just loves to run, and looks to do it every opportunity, it's exactly what Hawthorn needs and it's a joy to watch. He is making Young look pretty sloppy, and unless he lifts his game he will struggle to oust a fit Isaac, who offers more speed and his kicks achieve something.

For a kid with bugger all VFL history he looks very composed out on the field, takes a good mark, has good skills and shows excellent toe, knows what to do around the goals too.

An article released by HFC on Isaac's first experience at Aurora:
Smith Right at Home.

2011 End of Season Review

No.16 - Isaac Smith:

46328_18_1.jpg

Height: 187cm
Weight: 75kg
DOB: 30-12-1988 (22 yo)
Drafted: Round 1, Pick #19 2010 National Draft
Debut: 2011

2011 stats
Matches: 16
Kicks: 178 (11.1/game)
Handballs: 123 (7.7/game)
Disposals: 301 (18.8/game)
Marks: 100 (6.2/game)
Goals: 20 (1.2/game)
Behinds: 9 (0.6/game)
Tackles: 40 (2.5/game)

B&F: 68 votes (15th)

SC: 1037pts - $349,800 (+$246,200)
DT: 1,074pts - $303,600 (+$211,100)

Speed and Confidence:

That is Isaac Smith in a nutshell, he came to the club as raw as a draftee can be, and was stuck behind Clinton Young and the superbly improved Shane Savage for a role on the wing, but when he made his debut against Port Adelaide he sparked a new kind of excitement into the Hawthorn faithful.

Combining genuine pace, huge endurance and an equally huge left foot kick Smith injected real line-breaking ability into the Hawthorn midfield they had been missing since 2008. However, this was not all the raw-boy from Redan provided, from his first game he played with a confidence in his abilities befitting of a 100-game player. He loves a run, takes on tacklers, and revels in a goal, slotting a much-needed 20 from the normally goal-shy Hawks midfield.

As the season progressed Smith became a huge strength within the Hawthorn side, with some stellar games including 25 touches and 3 goals in a crushing defeat and arguably BoG performance against the Bombers. He also showed poise and maturity in the Hawks finals run with an excellent game against the eventual premiers Geelong and strong contributions against the Swans and Pies.

By the end of the season Smith was looking like a walk-up start to the Hawthorn side, he had continued to improve and his contributions were becoming increasingly consistent. The scary thing for opposition teams is, given his raw background, there is still large scope for even further improvement. Another season around the club, another pre-season in the gym and a fit and firing squad in 2012 could see Isaac become one of the top outside-mids in the competition.

The future is very bright for Hawthorn, and Isaac.

Here's a little bit of a pre-season write up on Isaac from the big man himself, A. Clarkson:

What Clarko says

16. Isaac Smith

Our summer series today features Isaac Smith who will wear the number 16 guernsey for the Hawks in 2012.

Isaac made an impact as soon as he arrived at the Hawks, having made his debut early in the season and playing a solid first year for the Club back in 2011.

The inclusion of teams like Greater Western Sydney and the Gold Coast Suns into the AFL has forced Clubs to search far and wide for their talent, with plenty looking to recruit mature-aged guys rather than focussing on the younger players.

Certainly in the case of Isaac, our recruiters really uncovered a beauty.

He came to the Club at 22 years old having already played a fair amount of state and country football.

Isaac plays most of his footy on the wing but he's got an enormous tank - his athleticism at his VFL side North Ballarat was an exceptional feature of his play.

He can run all day, he's got good speed and he's a penetrating left foot kick.

He had an injury-hampered pre-season at the Club last year due to a bout of illness, but this summer to-date he's been scorching the track.

We're really excited with his progress and we're anticipating that he'll have a big impact on the progress of our side in season 2012, where we're hoping he will consolidate his position and help push the Hawks up a few spots on the ladder.

It's an exciting time for our footy Club which has been helped by the addition of players like Isaac.

From the snippets I've heard, Isaac is travelling well and should be on track for round 1, playing some good football!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that escaped my attention at the time and only noticed it this evening is Isaac Smith has now played the most games (176) in the number 16 jumper in the history of the Hawthorn Football Club. Previous record holder was Terry Wallace with 173.

Smith also has the most goals with 147. Here's looking forward to many more.

Fantastic career and a great servant of the Hawthorn football club! 4 premierships and a big game player. The best wingman in the comp over the last decade imo. Well done Issy, deserve all the plaudits.

Isaac was my favourite player of all time, him going to geelong hurt more than any of the others.
What an unreal career! Gutted he didn't finish with the brown and gold but stoked he was able to have success elsewhere.
One of the more genuinely good humans in this sport, hopefully his kids keep up the Hawks spirit!

Isaac was my favourite player of all time, him going to geelong hurt more than any of the others.
What an unreal career! Gutted he didn't finish with the brown and gold but stoked he was able to have success elsewhere.
One of the more genuinely good humans in this sport, hopefully his kids keep up the Hawks spirit!
He was the only bright spot when Geelong won the GF last year.

When we were down and out we needed him most ……. was gutted when he turned his back on us but best of luck to Smith and his family post footy 👍

Late start and an early finish with our club, he gave us our fair share of highlights and good times and then some.

I don't begrudge him for chasing a 4th flag with the old enemy, that's his burden now in his post-football career.

The number 16 will see success again soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back