Player Watch #16 Jake Aarts

Remove this Banner Ad

a nice debut, one thing that stood out was how bouncy he was, when he hit the deck he always beat his opponent back to their feet and in turn won the contest...lets keep playing him and reward his hunger
I remember when all our small forwards played like that. Now they are all complacent.
Well done Aarts. Cracking effort mate

I love his game and his story. Didn't see any of his VFL games so can't tell yet if it's a habit. But if these yips in front of goal persist then he has no future in the team. Hopefully it was just a first AFL goal thing. But even that is worrying...if he's an over thinker...lacking in confidence. Not acceptable at AFL level imo. When it's you turn, you take them and you make them. Takes me back to the darker times and the likes of the lebanese cucumber. Must be a hard worker and persistant...but can he do the same with his mental side that he is with the physical? I wish him well.

EDIT - although having said that...I forgot about George :(

Last edited:
Well said his hunger was very good

Natural forward is handy too post butler. Lloyd. Stengle.
Small fwd is an area we have an excess. I'm glad Butler, Lloyd and Stengle are all getting games at new clubs. Butler may not have got games had he stayed. Good luck to all that the Saints are playing good football. Maybe it's a honeymoon.
Bad luck to us that it's taken the team a while to click into gear this year. Now Aarts becomes our biggest scorer? I like what he and Egg, and Chol have done with their opportunity. And Kmac. Graham and Lambert have lead well too.

He had 5 shots on goal in his second game and has looked fairly comfortable at the level. Kicked 2 nice goals in general play this week. Set shots may need some work but he wasn’t alone in missing easy set shots this week. I think he’s going very well and would be ahead of a few others at selection in the side already.

He had 5 shots on goal in his second game and has looked fairly comfortable at the level. Kicked 2 nice goals in general play this week. Set shots may need some work but he wasn’t alone in missing easy set shots this week. I think he’s going very well and would be ahead of a few others at selection in the side already.

Aarts just needs to add to his craft by improving his accuracy. 😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sort of thought we had another Lennon situation on our hands. I've been far more impressed by Aarts than anything I ever saw from spud Lennon.

The missed set shots don't worry me atm. The way he got that contest and goaled reminded me of an old number 29. He isn't going to be as good as the old bloke but we need someone to get those goals and he did it well. Long way to go though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back