Delisted #16: Josh Begley - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are people questioning his tank/fitness? It is a strength of his. Watching him in the VFL his, repeat running efforts at high intensity is something that stood out and he had no problems at all playing midfield.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

I too hear the whispers.........dusty........ the size of him, imperturbable demeanour. I mean look at the way he plays, he's going to have more lovers than haters no matter how good he is.

Why are people questioning his tank/fitness? It is a strength of his. Watching him in the VFL his, repeat running efforts at high intensity is something that stood out and he had no problems at all playing midfield.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk
He did it well in the VFL, however I think people are questioning it because a lot don't see the VFL as regularly as the half a dozen of us (Bruno, Ant, KM) and he struggled in second halves in the AFL. It's definitely something to work on.

In the end though, I doubt it matters. He has the work ethic that it won't be a problem, although there is always a cap on endurance as well as speed and other physical capabilities.

Looking for info on our draftees and found this bit of interesting reading....

This kid was voted by his 2016 Draft peers as most likely to surprise the competition ahead of some of Florent & Powell-Pepper.

Just play him !

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/draftees-rate-their-colleagues/

Also Matt Guelfi was voted by the 16 draftees as 2nd most unlucky not to be drafted... this says something for the nahsayers

With the addition of Stringer and now Houlahan to our list I'd like us to use Begley as a starting midfielder along with Clarke and Mutch in the VFL. If we are ever going to get this next crop into the midfield we need them playing a lot more minutes and it just seems natural now in their 2nd years to play more midfield time.

I think all 3 could really stamp their authority and really push the Senior midfielders to perform every week.

Begley has that power and skill to be a very damaging midfielder and he looked the part a few times late in the year before getting the senior call-up

With the addition of Stringer and now Houlahan to our list I'd like us to use Begley as a starting midfielder along with Clarke and Mutch in the VFL. If we are ever going to get this next crop into the midfield we need them playing a lot more minutes and it just seems natural now in their 2nd years to play more midfield time.

I think all 3 could really stamp their authority and really push the Senior midfielders to perform every week.

Begley has that power and skill to be a very damaging midfielder and he looked the part a few times late in the year before getting the senior call-up
Yup! If it does happen I can see the VFL side being something like:

B: McNiece - Ambrose - Dea
HB: Francis - Brown - Redman
C: Colyer - Myers - Mutch
R: Leuenberger - Clarke - Begley
HF: Houlahan - McKernan - J.Merrett
F: Green - Draper - Boyse

I/C: Long - O'Brien - A.Heppell - Younan

Yup! If it does happen I can see the VFL side being something like:

B: McNiece - Ambrose - Dea
HB: Francis - Brown - Redman
C: Colyer - Myers - Mutch
R: Leuenberger - Clarke - Begley
HF: Houlahan - McKernan - J.Merrett
F: Green - Draper - Boyse

I/C: Long - O'Brien - A.Heppell - Younan
O'Brien's playing EDFL

With Bird, Howlett, Hocking and Stanton out of the VFL team.
Begley, Mutch and Clarke will carry more of the load in the VFL midfield. Clarke really needs to improve his kicking though otherwise he will struggle to play AFL.

Equal 7th in the 2km time trial and best of the forwards

Trains like a seasoned professional.
This kids attitude is just first class.
He has only just started his 2nd year.

Can see him sitting with McGrath / Heppell / Merritt & Daniher as a just a guy who is possessed to do well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't fit Lavender atm. Much like Draper early on, he'll spend a lot of time on the sidelines building his body.

If you think we're going to not play Lavender in favour of blokes who aren't on our AFL list you are bloody delusional

Can't fit Lavender atm. Much like Draper early on, he'll spend a lot of time on the sidelines building his body.
Draper missed like 2 games this year

Why play him in the two's?
He will develop faster and better playing Seniors in any position as opposed to midfield in VFL.
I see him as Genuine best 22, not just getting a game on potential.

Finished 7th in time trial. Has the tank for AFL.
His delivery into forward 50 is excellent and fills a need.
I can see Walla spending more time in the midfield. Begley's intent and tackling will lessen the impact on our forwardline pressure from Walla not being there (as much).

Why play him in the two's?
He will develop faster and better playing Seniors in any position as opposed to midfield in VFL.
I see him as Genuine best 22, not just getting a game on potential.

Finished 7th in time trial. Has the tank for AFL.
His delivery into forward 50 is excellent and fills a need.
I can see Walla spending more time in the midfield. Begley's intent and tackling will lessen the impact on our forwardline pressure from Walla not being there (as much).
If Begs plays the AFL in Rd.1, we'd be looking at dropping Myers i imagine.

Reckon we're looking at a starting 22 of:
Gleeson - 2 of Hartley/Ambrose/Bags/Francis
Saad - Hurley - McKenna
Parish - Heppell - Merrett
Stringer - Daniher - Tippa
Fantasia - Hooker - Stewart
TBC - Zaka - Smith
McGrath - Goddard - ?? - ??

2 spots for Myers, Colyer, Laverde, Langford, Begley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back