Delisted #16: Josh Begley - Not offered a contract for 2021

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
How are people not more excited about Begley's game yesterday?

Strong marks, playing in the middle smashing bodies, tearing up and down the ground finding the ball as a mid, beautiful kicking and kicking goals as a mid and forward.

That's "break out" as far as I'm concerned. He's always been a strong kid but I thought he was basically our dominant player on the ground - it seemed like he destroyed every contest he was a part of.

It's now simply a matter of getting miles into his legs which might take another month. Hopefully he gets the mid/forward balance to 50/50.

I'm excited and thought the same. He was the only person who stood and said: "look at moi". The exciting thing about him is that while he's going to be a mid in the long term he has all the skills to start as a forward as well. He was an attacking forward as a junior and his extra fitness and strength means that he can already play the role that Begley is to a higher standard. Not only can he play that role, but he can also be rotated through the middle.

Him playing midfield minutes means that Smith and him can rotate between Smith's midfield role and Begley's forward role. We mangage Smith's knees better, upgrade on Baguely now and build our midfield for the future. It is a win win win solution.

Now's a good a time as any to put those 4 quarter efforts in.

Can't expect heaps from him in his first game, but by god I can hope.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm hyped to see Begley back. Always been a massive fan since his first year. I'm not expecting him to set the world on fire, most blokes struggle a bit the year they return from an ACL. I'd just like to see him lead up at the ball carrier instead of having all our blokes waiting for the cheapie over the back. Also we could use some more mid sized players, it feels like our whole team is either 180cm or 200cm with little in between.

His conditioning and his touch is a mile off but **** me does he know how to find the ball in the forward half.

Must stay in, he’s got a huge future

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
He's like a smaller version of Stringer with a bigger tank out there. I like him a lot. Couldn't kick straight tonight but he'll find his radar. Actually getting 4 shots on goal is a pretty good effort. He's easily AFL level. Knows how to lead up properly in the forward line. I'm excited for the day when we line up in the forward line with:

Fantasia, Daniher, Begley
Tippa, McKernan/Brown, Stringer

It will be a great mix of ground and aerial options, guys that lead up and guys that can take contested grabs.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
He's like a smaller version of Stringer with a bigger tank out there. I like him a lot. Couldn't kick straight tonight but he'll find his radar. Actually getting 4 shots on goal is a pretty good effort. He's easily AFL level. Knows how to lead up properly in the forward line. I'm excited for the day when we line up in the forward line with:

Fantasia, Daniher, Begley
Tippa, McKernan/Brown, Stringer

It will be a great mix of ground and aerial options, guys that lead up and guys that can take contested grabs.
He may be slightly shorter that Stringer (not much) but he is as big if not bigger. Kids a monster.

Back