Delisted #16: Josh Begley - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Tank's not an issue, he's got a big natural endurance level.

I actually really like the way he plays inside. Looks very natural.

As is the case with Hibberd, the real issue is the coaching staff coming to terms with what a proper midfield looks like.

Had a somewhat snake bitten career so far.

Got a few games in the end of his first year, but did enough over his first full pre season thaat the coaches had him in the best 22 come round 1 2018.

He proceeds to play the first 5 games of the year, showing some promise before doing his ACL on ANZAC day.

Comes back mid last year and struggles to find form coming back from a knee. This year, in his make or break season coming out of contract, a global pandemic results in the VFL being cancelled, forcing him to try and force his way into the team by running around unmanned in the 12v12 equivalent of circle work.

I remember this guys form in the VFL in his first year and how exciting he was coming into the team late 2017/early 2018.

Hope he makes something of it tomorrow.

I like him but based on 2019 he looked to have lost a bit of pace and I’m not sure his game style could afford it.

Hopefully he’s moving a bit better this year as he looked very promising pre acl

Uh yes, the Essington in is all.

Develop him in the twos as a midfielder, then, in the ones play him as a half forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it would be the most effective use of our resources. Play Walla more inside 50 and have Begley play most of the time forward with a couple of CBA's a quarter. The Stringer role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've been developing him as an inside mid. Will attend zero centre bounces.

Not sure how anyone can 'develop' in 12v12 football, let alone as a inside midfielder when the game is 99% outside.

I think it would be the most effective use of our resources. Play Walla more inside 50 and have Begley play most of the time forward with a couple of CBA's a quarter. The Stringer role.
It they actually do this it could start to look like our plan is heading somewhere sustainable.

Uh yes, the Essington in is all.

Develop him in the twos as a midfielder, then, in the ones play him as a half forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know it's practically a meme at this point, but it's not just an Essendon thing. Most clubs with an injury list like ours will play anyone they can afford to in a forward role. Especially when we happen to have players like Langford, Begley, (+ Stringer, Smith, Parish, Francis, Hooker, Hurley, Redman) who have trained in both parts of the ground, which is a common enough strategy for dealing with the interchange limits.

Assuming people will come here to hammer Begley's half.

Just ask yourselves whether we'd be better served with his 95kgs as the outnumber player rather than Snelling, adding big Snello's ability to do nothing with the ball under pressure to that of Parish, McGrath and Merrett.

You can always tell when we are not serious about a player because we give him no chance to do something that might result in a question having to be asked about whether the decision to use him in a certain way or write him off is incorrect.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back