Delisted #16: Josh Begley - Not offered a contract for 2021

Fridgeee not quite tracking like I'd hoped after his injury.

Seems like his brute strengh isnt quite scaling up at AFL level (something I'd say is his natural bread & butter) and backmen are easily giving him grief in the forward rolls we have tried him in.

Needs to find away around his short comings in this area via some good mentoring or adapt to a mid/bull role otherwise he's kind of like a few others in the team that give us glimpses of potential but nothing consistent...

I think he's got the tools but somethings not clicking tbh.

He needs more time. Even more experienced players struggled aftet an acl. Patience. He is still quite inexperienced too.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
He should be playing Brown's role where he could add a physical edge.

He doesnt really have the explosive burst to play as a full forward at his size in the way Stringer does.

He's got really good natural endurance, especially for a player his build. He's a half forward who could be looked at to play as an inside mid.
I think I know your concerns about Brown (his "leading into open space game" and lack of contested marking won't stand up to finals pressure) and I share them.

However, when I look back I just can't picture Begley to date making a lot of long/link up leads and grabbing marks between the arcs. Maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe that's due to a lack of opportunity (due to defined team role) .. but my feeling is Begley will have to further develop that aspect of his game to get in front of Brown. He seems like a natural full forward in a country league where he could kick 130. He has the raw tools to play other roles but perhaps a bit to learn.

Would be easier for Brown, Begley or Laverde if we had an actual Nick Reiwoldt-esque CHF... i.e. a James Stewart who can mark the footy.
Then these guys would be in true HFF roles when they get their shot.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I think I know your concerns about Brown (his "leading into open space game" and lack of contested marking won't stand up to finals pressure) and I share them.

However, when I look back I just can't picture Begley to date making a lot of long/link up leads and grabbing marks between the arcs. Maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe that's due to a lack of opportunity (due to defined team role) .. but my feeling is Begley will have to further develop that aspect of his game to get in front of Brown. He seems like a natural full forward in a country league where he could kick 130. He has the raw tools to play other roles but perhaps a bit to learn.

Would be easier for Brown, Begley or Laverde if we had an actual Nick Reiwoldt-esque CHF... i.e. a James Stewart who can mark the footy.
Then these guys would be in true HFF roles when they get their shot.

There is nothing wrong with leading into open space but it's about half of what I would expect of anyone playing that role.

No reason Stewart, Laverde or Begley couldn't do it and add a physical edge rather than semi-competing for the ball and the air and running ahead of the play for cheap kicks.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Looks completely at sea. Has not looked at all capable this year. Doesn’t know what to do with it when he has it, which isn’t often. Not sure what is happening inside this blokes head.
Think he just looks slow. Doesn’t have the speed or power to work through tackles and is getting caught with the footy a lot.

Hopefully that’s just about recovering from the ACL and we see improvement next season.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Whilst I agree he hasn't looked his best this year, that's really common coming back from ACL. Even for experienced veterans it normally takes until the following year to get back to their best and Begley was just a young 2nd year player when he did his. Plenty of time ahead of him to figure it out. I still remember that bit of play from early last year where he vaulted one player, spun and delivered a perfect pass in the forward 50. He'll sort out things like his kicking, because pre-injury he was quite good in that area.

Be interesting to see how he comes back from a full preseason. Looked much better before his injury

Back