Delisted #16: Josh Begley - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Is probably the 22nd picked atm. Has a lot of redeeming features which should always get him a game ahead of bags, but his decision making & disposal concerns me.

Prob keeps his spot for now.
His first 4 kicks on debut demonstrated that he is an excellent kick. Has dropped off but. But its his fumbling that is more of an issue at the moment.

His first 4 kicks on debut demonstrated that he is an excellent kick. Has dropped off but. But its his fumbling that is more of an issue at the moment.

He’s rusty, but that’s expected coming off a knee. I’m happy to get games into him so long as he can iron them out, cos the kid can play.

Hard to see him not becoming at least a rotational midfielder given he’s already doing big GPS numbers but even if he doesn’t he’s going to make a cracking small forward.

Fantastic kick, natural nose for the goals, strong hands and knows how to use his body in marking contests. And if his midfield work does come on watch the hell out.

Was shocking early and then really started to get back to his best as the game went on, gets caught too often thinking he has more time than he does which has been a trait of his since the early days which I hope improves.

Endeavour is always there and for a young player that’s the least I can ask for.

Was shocking early and then really started to get back to his best as the game went on, gets caught too often thinking he has more time than he does which has been a trait of his since the early days which I hope improves.

Endeavour is always there and for a young player that’s the least I can ask for.

I notice he is trying to out muscle players above his batting average at the moment (inexperienced) instead of playing the smart option sometimes, i think this also contributes to him getting caught a bit aswell.

He's just classically inexperienced yet to his credit today adjustable during the actual game.

Hard to see him not becoming at least a rotational midfielder given he’s already doing big GPS numbers but even if he doesn’t he’s going to make a cracking small forward.

Fantastic kick, natural nose for the goals, strong hands and knows how to use his body in marking contests. And if his midfield work does come on watch the hell out.
He’s a finisher isn’t he....and his work rate is huge for such a young guy.

Can play.

Like Redman he is a throwback to a style of player on which the 2000 era was built.

Big brute of a kid, who likes body contact but who is also smart and can use the footy.

He's got a fair bit in common with Barnard (who from memory also happened to be 16) but as more of a running player (whereas Barnard was more of a tall).

Fridge is definitely one of the reasons the next 10 games will be worth watching (regardless of whether you cling to hope of finals).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is Begley in the seniors? Really not sure what he is. Not nimble enough to play small. Not tall (strong) enough to play tall. And obviously doesn’t have the tank to play midfield.

I get what he could become but right now all he does is get cheap kicks late that gloss over how little impact he has on games during the first 100 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not feeling it at present. Would bring in Hartley and Stringer ideally (if fit) and drop Begley... and battle with short nimble rucks next week.

I understand the argument that we need to give him games but young players also need to learn the lesson of if you play poorly for multiple games you get dropped as a result. Otherwise it instills something in the back of their mind that says "oh well, at least I'll get a game next week".

He's doing ok for his path and taking a good defender each week.

To me he's slightly caught out by the speed of AFL and that he can't just muscle others at senior level (yet)

Dimma Hardwick was like this in his first introduction to games at senior level. I know not the same position wise but very similar in having key attributes yet trying too hard in the wrong areas until he got games under his belt

Why is Begley in the seniors? Really not sure what he is. Not nimble enough to play small. Not tall (strong) enough to play tall. And obviously doesn’t have the tank to play midfield.

I get what he could become but right now all he does is get cheap kicks late that gloss over how little impact he has on games during the first 100 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a lot of his problem at this point in time is that we've been pounded in the last two weeks meaning that the forwards are not seeing a lot of the ball. It would also help if Stringer came in for Mitch Brown as Begley is really at his best at the moment working high from half forward and then working back to goal (which is what Brown is also most suited to).

It's definitely fair to note that Begley does not currently have the burst on the lead to be effective close to goal.

I think he has more of a role to play in a forward line with Hooker and Stringer playing close to goal with Begley and Laverde playing higher (though Laverde is getting the job done playing full forward everywhere but converting the opportunities he is getting).

my two cents: play the kid. he’s a beast in the making. never takes a backwards step. just needs games into him. wait til he’s got 40 under the belt, he’ll be much improved.

playing him every second week or doing this silly rotate him with 2 other players so he’s getting 25% match time? nup.

Parish is the perfect example. the persistance of playing him every week is really starting to pay off. you don’t send a bloke back to the magoos when they’re 19 or 20 just because of a less than stellar game. pump games into them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back