Delisted #16: Josh Begley - Not offered a contract for 2021

Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers
my two cents: play the kid. he’s a beast in the making. never takes a backwards step. just needs games into him. wait til he’s got 40 under the belt, he’ll be much improved.

playing him every second week or doing this silly rotate him with 2 other players so he’s getting 25% match time? nup.

Parish is the perfect example. the persistance of playing him every week is really starting to pay off. you don’t send a bloke back to the magoos when they’re 19 or 20 just because of a less than stellar game. pump games into them.

Totally agree. Signs are that the club has started to think like this too, with Baguley and Myers left in the VFL so Begley, Laverde and Clarke can have more opportunity.

Coldacre

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Totally agree. Signs are that the club has started to think like this too, with Baguley and Myers left in the VFL so Begley, Laverde and Clarke can have more opportunity.
even though I don’t rate Laverde, it’s absolutely the correct approach. fast track them to 40 games... then you know what kind of player they really are. the good clubs (geelong, pies) do this. keep blooding the younger players. rewarding guys who are past it for being “loyal clubmen” is a nice idea on paper but it doesn’t build a ruthless footy side.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Back the kid in and actually get games into him.
You can’t back all the kids in each week. Begley is in indifferent form. Maybe it’s time for another kid to be backed in.

All players need is to know to feel loved is that when they are in form they will be picked. They don’t need the “lesson” that you can play as many average games as you like and still get a guernsey.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
even though I don’t rate Laverde, it’s absolutely the correct approach. fast track them to 40 games... then you know what kind of player they really are. the good clubs (geelong, pies) do this. keep blooding the younger players. rewarding guys who are past it for being “loyal clubmen” is a nice idea on paper but it doesn’t build a ruthless footy side.

What about simply picking a team to win each week?

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Why is Begley in the seniors? Really not sure what he is. Not nimble enough to play small. Not tall (strong) enough to play tall. And obviously doesn’t have the tank to play midfield.

I get what he could become but right now all he does is get cheap kicks late that gloss over how little impact he has on games during the first 100 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair enough, but who do you drop him for?

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Stick with Begley !

Attachments

• FFCE4CBE-DFDC-4020-8D19-D2C88D2F854D.png
    FFCE4CBE-DFDC-4020-8D19-D2C88D2F854D.png
    235.1 KB · Views: 193
I reckon hes been decent but will get dropped back to the twos this week as we need to bring in Zach Clarke and possibly a defender for Ambrose
They brought in Francis for Ambrose, and BellChambers goes out

Fridge16

All Australian
Sep 12, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
6 goals 6 from 6 games after a knee reco and he hasn't even hit good form. We need to keep playing him, guys like Begley, Langford, Laverde, Redman, Clarke, Guelfi are the sort of guys that become solid B+ players at 40 games and make you win finals.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
6 goals 6 from 6 games after a knee reco and he hasn't even hit good form. We need to keep playing him, guys like Begley, Langford, Laverde, Redman, Clarke, Guelfi are the sort of guys that become solid B+ players at 40 games and make you win finals.
Add Francis, Parish, McGrath and Ridley to your list of young players there too. Its not a knock on Begley to say he needs a rest. Most of these guys are in the team together now, finally, so there is plenty of youth spread out amongst our senior players. Clarke has been a pleasant surprise. If guys like Baguley and Myers were still in the side taking up 2 young players minutes then you'd be asking questions.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Begley definitely stays in and as for needing a rest, well good thing he gets a 9 day break this week. His game wasn't even that bad, 2 very important goal assists (which were straight up handballs for easy kicks on goals) so sure it was a quiet game but he still contributed. This was a week after being one of our best against West Coast where he kicked 3 and was a strong contributor.

Playing small/medium forward you will just have weeks sometimes where the ball doesn't come your way. You can't jump on players after one bad week.
I personally reckon our forward line has looked a heck of a lot more functional since Begley and Laverde have come back into the team and actually offer something in the air whilst leading up at the ball carrier. Whereas before we had a whole forward line of blokes that wanted it out the back with only Fantasia leading up.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
There was a few times last night where he pushed right up the ground to get the ball basically in the defensive 50, and in doing so he looked miles better than anything he's put together in the forward line for us this year.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Tough year after returning from ACL. Not sure about what role Josh is destined for. The Stringerish dynamic 3rd forward seems the one but maybe I’m missing some of his potential? Are some seeing him as a midfielder?

Hopefully with another preseason and some confidence in his agility / body he will start to impact games more.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Tough year after returning from ACL. Not sure about what role Josh is destined for. The Stringerish dynamic 3rd forward seems the one but maybe I’m missing some of his potential? Are some seeing him as a midfielder?

Hopefully with another preseason and some confidence in his agility / body he will start to impact games more.

He should be playing Brown's role where he could add a physical edge.

He doesnt really have the explosive burst to play as a full forward at his size in the way Stringer does.

He's got really good natural endurance, especially for a player his build. He's a half forward who could be looked at to play as an inside mid.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus

He doesnt really have the explosive burst to play as a full forward at his size in the way Stringer does.

He's got really good natural endurance, especially for a player his build. He's a half forward who could be looked at to play as an inside mid.

Enjoy the win mate?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics

i always thought we drafted him with a view he'd eventually slide into the middle to play inside midfield.
Playing him fwd is giving him game time, but at what point do we look to give him the apprenticeship Langford had at VFL level with a view to promoting to AFL long after he's ready

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
Fridgeee not quite tracking like I'd hoped after his injury.

Seems like his brute strengh isnt quite scaling up at AFL level (something I'd say is his natural bread & butter) and backmen are easily giving him grief in the forward rolls we have tried him in.

Needs to find away around his short comings in this area via some good mentoring or adapt to a mid/bull role otherwise he's kind of like a few others in the team that give us glimpses of potential but nothing consistent...

I think he's got the tools but somethings not clicking tbh.

Back