Delisted #16: Josh Begley - Not offered a contract for 2021

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I’m still trying to work out what Josh is going to become at AFL level. A mid? A 3rd tall fwd? I can’t see a whole lot that gets me excited apart from that aggression he uses when bullocking through a bloke.

Many times this year I’ve sat and watched a VFL listed guy play the way I view what Josh should be doing. Yesterday another perfect example with Weribee’s Ky Declase doing similar numbers albeit a more agile KPF (195cm > 188cm). You can see ‘it’, I just can’t put my finger on what it will eventuate into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester City San Antonio Spurs
I’m still trying to work out what Josh is going to become at AFL level. A mid? A 3rd tall fwd? I can’t see a whole lot that gets me excited apart from that aggression he uses when bullocking through a bloke.

Many times this year I’ve sat and watched a VFL listed guy play the way I view what Josh should be doing. Yesterday another perfect example with Weribee’s Ky Declase doing similar numbers albeit a more agile KPF (195cm > 188cm). You can see ‘it’, I just can’t put my finger on what it will eventuate into.

Yep agree, he’s done well to come back from a knee reco. Got through the whole year unscathed. The off season has to be about improved fitness and settling him into a position either forward or mid. If it’s forward he needs to do more to craft his goals, so many appear to be out the back goals.
He has a bit more time, but needs to start showing more.

The first issue he has is that as soon as he gets the ball he is looking at who he can fend off. This gives him two issues, first up he misses the first option available and second he ends up being caught with the ball. The second issue is he is not quick and he does not spread all that well. If he gets a decent pre season in then maybe he can get around the ground a bit more but he has to improve his tank and FFS stop trying to fend off all the time.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I wasnt expecting much more from a young bloke coming back from an ACL. This year was about getting some games and confidence back in that knee, which he did. Next year he shows wether he's good enough for regular senior football and another contract.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I wasnt expecting much more from a young bloke coming back from an ACL. This year was about getting some games and confidence back in that knee, which he did. Next year he shows wether he's good enough for regular senior football and another contract.

Thats why I haven't been as critical as I should be this year. Have given him some leeway due to the return from the knee. The match on the weekend should have seen him dominate with a burst. instead he was stat gathering late in the last.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Thats why I haven't been as critical as I should be this year. Have given him some leeway due to the return from the knee. The match on the weekend should have seen him dominate with a burst. instead he was stat gathering late in the last.
Well hes out of contract after next year and he's had his leeway year this year. Knee held up, so we should have a really good idea of where he's at this time next year.

Impressed with how he worked himself into the game against Werribee, was a complete non factor against Richmond and it was looking like it was going to be the same on Saturday but he was one of the big reasons we got over the line with a big second half.

Low possession, high impact player.

The first issue he has is that as soon as he gets the ball he is looking at who he can fend off. This gives him two issues, first up he misses the first option available and second he ends up being caught with the ball. The second issue is he is not quick and he does not spread all that well. If he gets a decent pre season in then maybe he can get around the ground a bit more but he has to improve his tank and FFS stop trying to fend off all the time.
I always used to think Mark Johnson must have had a clause written into his contract that he had to fend off at least one player before disposing of the ball. Did it just about every time. Except 9/10 he was successful.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Next season will tell us enough on whether we should persist or not.
This is no revelation but we definitely hold on to our players for way too long.

Disappointing for him that he did his knee last year but he’s 22 next year and he’s showed very little to suggest he can play senior football.

Langford is 23 this year, Laverde is 23... seriously these guys wouldn’t get a game for sides other than the Gold Coast.

We should cut our losses.

I’m completely over hanging on to bog average players expecting them to become something they never will.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
This is no revelation but we definitely hold on to our players for way too long.

Disappointing for him that he did his knee last year but he’s 22 next year and he’s showed very little to suggest he can play senior football.

Langford is 23 this year, Laverde is 23... seriously these guys wouldn’t get a game for sides other than the Gold Coast.

We should cut our losses.

I’m completely over hanging on to bog average players expecting them to become something they never will.
I completely agree. It just ‘feels’ like it’s become an institutionalised practice at Essendon that we keep players on the list ‘just in case.’

He’s never shown anything other than being depth. I’m not even sure what it is he brings to the 22 to be perfectly honest. He wouldn’t my get a game anywhere else imo.

Anyhoo, if there’s something I love more it’s a player proving me wrong. Please do so Josh.

Last edited:

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He played some very good games early and lost form as the season wore on.

Kind of feels like the season went in reverse based on what I'd expect if injury was a factor. He was sharp early.

He doesn't look anything the dynamic player playing his first 5 or 6 games.

I think you just have to write the year off and hope he can sort himself out physically. As has been said his mind is well ahead of the feats he is currently capable of.

I completely agree. It just ‘feels’ like it’s become an institutionalised practice at Essendon that we keep players on the list ‘just in case.’

He’s never shown anything other than being depth. I’m not even sure what it is he brings to the 22 to be perfectly honest. He wouldn’t my get a game anywhere else imo.

Anyhoo, if there’s something I love more it’s a player proving me wrong. Please do so Josh.

If you think that’s something that’s uniquely Essendon your world view is a bit warped. It’s not.

Anyway I rate Josh quite highly, needs to play more like his last quarter on Saturday more often. Willed us over the line.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
If you think that’s something that’s uniquely Essendon your world view is a bit warped. It’s not.

Anyway I rate Josh quite highly, needs to play more like his last quarter on Saturday more often. Willed us over the line.
Well I said it ‘feels’ like it. I even emphasised the word ‘feels.’ I want him to succeed but I’m very impatient

Last edited:

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I still believe in Begley. Only in his 3rd year and coming off an ACL. He'll be better next year. He actually did well to even play a run of AFL games considering that. Not surprised that as the season wore on he struggled a bit. Its not exactly an ideal preparation for the season.

People saying we keep players too long in relation to Begley are crazy. Now Jake Long sure. That bloke has been around forever without playing senior games. But Begley hell no!

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I like Begeley but I'm not sure what the plan is for him? If he's to be a forward flanker then I'm not sure he's clearly better than Laverde or Langford (in his time there). He does a lot of K's but he doesn't find the ball a lot and he's not an Arial threat.

If he's going to be an answer in the middle then it would be good to see him there sooner rather than later.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I still believe in Begley. Only in his 3rd year and coming off an ACL. He'll be better next year. He actually did well to even play a run of AFL games considering that. Not surprised that as the season wore on he struggled a bit. Its not exactly an ideal preparation for the season.

People saying we keep players too long in relation to Begley are crazy. Now Jake Long sure. That bloke has been around forever without playing senior games. But Begley hell no!
Massive year for Jake next year. I'm sensing 20 AFL games and a starring role in a finals victory.

Back