#16 - Kade Kolodjashnij - traded to MFC with May for pick 6

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Exactly. He's cooked. Not worth risking more damage either. I'm actually surprised both parties didn't come to an agreement to retire this offseason.
Why would he come to an agreement? You can’t force these things. If he’s on a contract for however much money for several years, he has a right to demand the payout regardless. Also, he might imagine he could get back to playing.

It’s a bummer, and probably hurts us, but the guy isn’t obliged to ditch a years salary because some supporters might like a better return. We were the gonks that offered him the contract. Why should he help us out?

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Why would he come to an agreement? You can’t force these things. If he’s on a contract for however much money for several years, he has a right to demand the payout regardless. Also, he might imagine he could get back to playing.

It’s a bummer, and probably hurts us, but the guy isn’t obliged to ditch a years salary because some supporters might like a better return. We were the gonks that offered him the contract. Why should he help us out?

Some guys do. From memory, Ben Newton may have, or was it Michael Evans? Was one of the SA or WA plodders near the foot of our list at the time.

I'd imagine KK would be hoping to get back to playing. Can't see too many mid 20s blokes just giving up on their football careers. Would think his chances are pretty slim of becoming a decent player again, but its not zero.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Some guys do. From memory, Ben Newton may have, or was it Michael Evans? Was one of the SA or WA plodders near the foot of our list at the time.

I'd imagine KK would be hoping to get back to playing. Can't see too many mid 20s blokes just giving up on their football careers. Would think his chances are pretty slim of becoming a decent player again, but its not zero.
You mean some guys have come to terms on a delist and payout? Yeah. That makes sense.

I don’t really know what’s going on with KK. Maybe he still hopes to get back, or maybe even we think he can and will be valuable (unlikely, but whatever). Or maybe he is holding us to a contract we entered unwisely- I have no idea.

It feels like another deeply uninspired trade period either way

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders

It was Evans, the guy worked out he could make more money in his trade (can't remember which) and dominate suburban footy than playing for peanuts out in freezing Casey for another year. Fair enough too.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Exactly. He's cooked. Not worth risking more damage either. I'm actually surprised both parties didn't come to an agreement to retire this offseason.

To be fair Brayshaw looked cooked two years ago, and why would he retire now? Why does everyone think we can just rip up player contracts lmao

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
To be fair Brayshaw looked cooked two years ago, and why would he retire now? Why does everyone think we can just rip up player contracts lmao
Your post would have been great but for the unnecessary lmao s**t.

I totally agree with you

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Got so many brain experts in here with inside info. What are the ******* chances of that? I hope he gets back and if he doesnt i hope he has a killer life with no or minimal effects from concussion.

You've kind of got a point, but do I need to be a coroner to realize someone is dead if they haven't pulled a breath for half an hour, or can I draw some logical conclusions from the deceased's recent history and condition? He's played 21 games in three years after playing almost all games in his first three seasons. If you were a betting man, what odds are you giving the bloke on making a full recovery?

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
You've kind of got a point, but do I need to be a coroner to realize someone is dead if they haven't pulled a breath for half an hour, or can I draw some logical conclusions from the deceased's recent history and condition? He's played 21 games in three years after playing almost all games in his first three seasons. If you were a betting man, what odds are you giving the bloke on making a full recovery?
Maybe Brayshaw had delayed concussion this year? Everybody wrote him off pretty much as being done yet hes played 2 whole years pretty much straight. I dont know enough about concussion to sit here saying he is done. ive had it a few times had it twice in a week from a few brawls. well never got over the first 1 and got rocked again and that was ****ed for a while. I hope odds are $1.01 for his sake. I reckon the most important thing is to get over the concussion fully before playing again and think its mad blokes can be knocked out/have concussion then play 7 days later and youd probably find in all these cases players have had concussion back to back in short time. Maybe he is done maybe he'll come good * knows im not gonna pretend to know

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Maybe Brayshaw had delayed concussion this year? Everybody wrote him off pretty much as being done yet hes played 2 whole years pretty much straight. I dont know enough about concussion to sit here saying he is done. ive had it a few times had it twice in a week from a few brawls. well never got over the first 1 and got rocked again and that was f’ed for a while. I hope odds are $1.01 for his sake. I reckon the most important thing is to get over the concussion fully before playing again and think its mad blokes can be knocked out/have concussion then play 7 days later and youd probably find in all these cases players have had concussion back to back in short time. Maybe he is done maybe he'll come good fu** knows im not gonna pretend to know

Brayshaw seems to have recovered well enough, but plenty of others don't. Jack Frost, Justin Clarke, the great Heretier Lumumba (allegedly), Liam Picken, Koby Stevens, Sam Shaw, the great Jack Fitzpatrick have retired in recent years at least in part due to concussion. Harry O'Brien retired from a terminal case of being a shambolic footballer, but the lawyers can argue over that one. When someone spends as long on the sidelines as KK has and with a number of repeat occurrences, seems more likely that Brayshaw is the exception rather than the rule.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Brayshaw seems to have recovered well enough, but plenty of others don't. Jack Frost, Justin Clarke, the great Heretier Lumumba (allegedly), Liam Picken, Koby Stevens, Sam Shaw, the great Jack Fitzpatrick have retired in recent years at least in part due to concussion. Harry O'Brien retired from a terminal case of being a shambolic footballer, but the lawyers can argue over that one. When someone spends as long on the sidelines as KK has and with a number of repeat occurrences, seems more likely that Brayshaw is the exception rather than the rule.
Yeah man its not looking good but for people to sit here and say he is done he is just getting that coin before he retires and s**t is laughable no campaigner really has any idea about concussion and he could get through the entire pre season with no issue then play all next year. * knows i dont just hope it works out for the bloke. Shaw looked like he wanted an easier way to sue adelaides medical team for his poxy body that kept breaking down more so that having concussion issues thats my guess anyway. The rest all had multiple concussions back to back so im surprised the AFL who are already gonna pay for concussion s**t havent put in a mandatory time to miss contact.. anyway i hope KK gets through this and is fine in life * footy

This post needs more Sam Blease.

His early retirement had nothing to do with lack of talent.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
This post needs more Sam Blease.

His early retirement had nothing to do with lack of talent.

Given his post-AFL career and musings, perhaps Matthew Bate is suffering latent effects from concussions?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Given his post-AFL career and musings, perhaps Matthew Bate is suffering latent effects from concussions?
Interesting idea. Other than red hair, did he show signs of instability before his retirement? I only recall him as a deeply ordinary footballer.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting idea. Other than red hair, did he show signs of instability before his retirement? I only recall him as a deeply ordinary footballer.

Is 7 years at the Demons not enough evidence of mental disorder?

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
How's his preseason going?
Hasn't been sighted at training in any capacity since mid November.

Concussion is such an ugly blight on the game, seeing such repeat occurrences to the likes of KK, McCartin, Stevens, Picken etc is a real shame. Part of me used to think "toughen up you mob you're paid hundreds of grand a year a few headaches won't hurt you campaigners" but after reading about McCartin how he can't even sit in the sunlight now, feel like it may be an ongoing issue long term similar to NFL.

I'm extremely doubtful we will see him play much at AFL level this year, be it through fitness or concussion, but I hope I'm wrong.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Hasn't been sighted at training in any capacity since mid November.

Concussion is such an ugly blight on the game, seeing such repeat occurrences to the likes of KK, McCartin, Stevens, Picken etc is a real shame. Part of me used to think "toughen up you mob you're paid hundreds of grand a year a few headaches won't hurt you campaigners" but after reading about McCartin how he can't even sit in the sunlight now, feel like it may be an ongoing issue long term similar to NFL.

I'm extremely doubtful we will see him play much at AFL level this year, be it through fitness or concussion, but I hope I'm wrong.
Man I listened to McCartin do a radio interview on MMM. Bloody heartbreaking, he had to send his GF to the store to do groceries for him because he couldn't handle the lights. Most of the time couldn't even go for lunch with her outside.
Worst part was the doctors couldn't tell him when it would stop. Could be today could be 6 months.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Man I listened to McCartin do a radio interview on MMM. Bloody heartbreaking, he had to send his GF to the store to do groceries for him because he couldn't handle the lights. Most of the time couldn't even go for lunch with her outside.
Worst part was the doctors couldn't tell him when it would stop. Could be today could be 6 months.
That interview haunted me.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I regularly ask my partner to organise the groceries/takeaway food/booze & ciggies because it's too bright- hangovers over 30 are a bitch. Anyway not sure Paddy should be complaining about that bit too much.

Back