Autopsy 16-minute quarters: which teams are winners and losers from this?

What do you think of the reduced quarters?

• Not sure yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nobody in footy can agree on anything.... but now every commentator and paid talking head agree that 16 minute quarters are inevitable next year, great for the game, much better than 20 minute quarters, needed for the dumb younger generation, and illogically will allow stars like Dusty to been see more often on the field.

This is all based on 1 s**t round of footy. Gerard Whately said it will definitely happen for season 2021 and we should all be ecstatic about it.

Of course, quarter time breaks will need to be extended from 6-8 minutes (shorter games allow for this, and allow for more adds). Shorter games, but longer adds - the youth love that.

The media are flipping out about their jobs and pay packets and watch them sell off the game piece by piece in the next 12 months.

All these opinions are being based on the most atypical AFL round ever.

Didn't even think that there were that many decent standard games

Also the last thing the AFL would want to do right now is just ignore supporters opinions

The media always get what they want as it is, I'm sure we all remember how the constant barrage of how we need more interchange caps and it was going to fix congestion (lol it got worse, who'da thunk it), with the AFL going broke I suspect we'll see quite a few rule changes.

The goal accuracy justification is just infuriating though given I'm pretty sure round 1 was more accurate last year, no sample size and the most obvious factor, zero crowds.

Won't shorter games means less revenue? 2021 they will be desperate for revenue I would have thought they wouldn't try it.

Nobody in footy can agree on anything.... but now every commentator and paid talking head agree that 16 minute quarters are inevitable next year, great for the game, much better than 20 minute quarters, needed for the dumb younger generation, and illogically will allow stars like Dusty to been see more often on the field.

This is all based on 1 s**t round of footy. Gerard Whately said it will definitely happen for season 2021 and we should all be ecstatic about it.

Of course, quarter time breaks will need to be extended from 6-8 minutes (shorter games allow for this, and allow for more adds). Shorter games, but longer adds - the youth love that.

The media are flipping out about their jobs and pay packets and watch them sell off the game piece by piece in the next 12 months.
Completely agree with you. Only difficulty which I think is real is about the toll on players and the game is getting more intense year on year. I think shortening the season is a good move, but I think the shorter quarters reeks of AFLX mentality. Less game, more product.

Won't shorter games means less revenue? 2021 they will be desperate for revenue I would have thought they wouldn't try it.
This is entirely about revenue. Longer breaks means more ads. Not to mention this quirky game of ours is easier to market domestically and internationally for every minute they can shave off it.

I watched AFL 360 last night and could not believe what I was hearing.

the game looked like bloody circle work, and we’re going to base drastically change the game based off that!?? Crazy.

Fans want more football. I hated the shorter “dynamic” football. It felt like basketball and AFLX combined.

Jonathan Brown actually said he was clock watching. Mate, if you’re going to complain about watching football for your job, best you find a new one.

want to change the game to 16 minute quarters? Cool. I expect a 20% reduction off my membership. It’s the last thing we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched AFL 360 last night and could not believe what I was hearing.

the game looked like bloody circle work, and we’re going to base drastically change the game based off that!?? Crazy.

Fans want more football. I hated the shorter “dynamic” football. It felt like basketball and AFLX combined.

Jonathan Brown actually said he was clock watching. Mate, if you’re going to complain about watching football for your job, best you find a new one.

want to change the game to 16 minute quarters? Cool. I expect a 20% reduction off my membership. It’s the last thing we need.
You could tell Riewoldt was against it but he didn't come out and say it

It takes a lot of effort for me to get to a live game, with the kids and coming from a regional area. Why bother for 16 minute quarters? The media types see too much footy, so they’re bored. This is our Australian game. The more we make it generic the worse it is. I smell Craig Hutchison and his stupid American obsession behind this?

It will happen. Fox will love the idea of being able to practically have 9 games all at different times. Will also mean a Thursday night game every week as well.

I had a feeling this was going to happen when it was announced as I saw no justifiable reason the AFL needed to shorten the quarters. A couple of half reasons thrown around here and there but nothing remotely convincing. To me it immediately felt like the AFL looking to sneak a change in through the back door while everyone was distracted.

I would be ok with them extending the breaks by a minute or two but keeping the game at 20 mins. 8 min qtr time breaks and maybe a 24 minute half time, but keep the game at 20 min qtrs please. It felt like watching amateur football with the shorter qtrs

It will happen. Fox will love the idea of being able to practically have 9 games all at different times. Will also mean a Thursday night game every week as well.
With games lasting for 2h15min (was the average on the weekend), games can be run every 2h30min easily.

Makes it much easier to run Thursday Night, Friday Night, 4x Saturday Games and 3x Sunday games with no overlap.

It was over over way too quickly. It almost felt as though a 5th quarter was being played after the final siren.

Part of my personal enjoyment of AFL is the 'war of attrition' nature. The fact it takes guys days to recover is the most impressive aspect of how brutal this game is. The 'leave nothing in the tank' mentality.

Also, as someone who lives 4 hours from the nearest major city i'm less inclined to want to make the drive down and back in the same day for upwards of 25 minutes less entertainment.

Leave as it is is.

OR, if they absolutely MUST shorten it, make it 18 minutes. 16 was just way too short.

Wouldn't be the first time the AFL have brought in a change that most supporters hate yet every footy media flog comes out in favour of.

There is obviously directives from the AFL for the media to push changes they want to make in the hope they can brainwash us into accepting them.

Back