Autopsy 16-minute quarters: which teams are winners and losers from this?

What do you think of the reduced quarters?

• Not sure yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually I can see it happening from here on.

1. The players will enjoy it and campaign hard for shorter games.

2. Broadcasters will enjoy it as it gives more flexibility with fixturing and allows them to have consecutive rather than overlapping games which is exactly what they want.

Those 2 things could easily be enough for what the AFL wants.
Agree with this
Plus the media will prefer it so they won’t push back an opposing view as strongly

It absolutely shits me the constant complaining from the media that the games are boring or too long etc. Maybe that is because you watch all 9 games - maybe there have always been long boring games but you didnt used to watch all 9 games (and then talk about footy each day every week).

The game isnt there for you, the media, its there for the fans and players. Guess what, everyone else's job is boring at times, we deal with it and work professionally and dont ask for our workdays to be less because we get bored.

....you honestly think media personalities watch all 9 games a week? Most get through 5-6 at best. Not that this takes away from your point (if anything it affirms it) but most media pundits do not watch all 9 games.

At present there is no reason they have shortened the games to 16 minutes except for the reason they want us to get used to it and they want to implement it in the future.

Originally the 'reason' was they would play more games more often on shorter rest - i havent heard of this happening as of yet.

And as usual, players will get the same money or more (even though they play less) and the public will be asked to pay more for their admission or memberships etc even though we are getting less for our buck.
Agree fully, the players already came out saying how amazing it was and how it could extend careers etc. Fans don't get a say in anything unless it's how to give away your money for nothing in return. Then we ARE the game.
Agree with this
Plus the media will prefer it so they won’t push back an opposing view as strongly

Agree with all. The fans don't want it, but that's never really mattered in AFL decision making,

I think it's happening or will at least be strongly pushed after this season

The sooner that Patrick bloody Dangerfield retires from the sport, the better. Why is his agenda so much more important than everybody else’s?
Because he's the president of the players association, so his opinion speaks on the players behalf. Like it or not what he says does carry more weight.

Agree with all. The fans don't want it, but that's never really mattered in AFL decision making,

I think it's happening or will at least be strongly pushed after this season

The major issue is fans will still turn up in droves if they implement changes like this - so the AFL knows they can treat us like s**t as we keep turning up anyway.

Because he's the president of the players association, so his opinion speaks on the players behalf. Like it or not what he says does carry more weight.

His strong, outspoken personality would be driving most of the discussion though.

The guy is 110% flog.

His strong, outspoken personality would be driving most of the discussion though.

The guy is 110% flog.
I'm not saying he isn't, I'm just answering why his agenda is more important.

Anyone in that position will have more weight given to their opinions because people will assume he's not just speaking for himself, but the wider playing community. Whether he is or not is irrelevant, it comes with the position.

Eddie McGuire has the same problem, he's a club president, but he also works in the media. Anything he says in the media will always come under the veil of a club president as well. Even though he can say "I'm in the media, when I'm in the media that's my job" you can't separate the two, it comes with the territory of being a club president. Whether you're technically speaking as a club president or a media personality, everything you say does come from the mouth of a club president and will be treated as such.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL insist on shortening the quarters and it will happen because what the AFL wants the AFL gets, then at least cut it down to 18 minutes rather than 16. That way the egos within the arrogant governing body are stroked while the duration of the games themselves won't feel all that much different for the fans.

16 minute quarters is the most plastic soulless thing to ever happen to the game.

We’re one step away from 3 team round-robin matches with 5 minute quarters.

Roy joked with HG on their Bludging on the Blindside podcast that it will end up with the AFL bringing in 10 minute halfs so people can go to a game and be back home within an hour.

I am fascinated by the view "Its only a few minutes each quarter....doesn't make that much difference etc etc." When you think about it, if we consider this, a regular qtr on average (no, I have not worked this out for accuracy, its just a guess) adds about 40% time to the qtr with time on (20 mins to 28 mins). So, reducing 4 mins is really taking about 5 1/2 minutes per qtr away...or 22 minutes per game. That is almost sacrificing a whole qtr. Of course it makes a difference.

Obviously if this shortened game bs is prolonged into further seasons, my 4 family memberships will be reduced by the equivalent percentage .... right?

I am fascinated by the view "Its only a few minutes each quarter....doesn't make that much difference etc etc." When you think about it, if we consider this, a regular qtr on average (no, I have not worked this out for accuracy, its just a guess) adds about 40% time to the qtr with time on (20 mins to 28 mins). So, reducing 4 mins is really taking about 5 1/2 minutes per qtr away...or 22 minutes per game. That is almost sacrificing a whole qtr. Of course it makes a difference.

Obviously if this shortened game bs is prolonged into further seasons, my 4 family memberships will be reduced by the equivalent percentage .... right?

Reduced ? I wont even entertain the thought of renewing.

Be good to have a poll in this thread..
Going well so far
I requested it. I hope the AFL (and everyone else who wants shorter quarters) takes note of the results! 22-0 so far. I wonder how many votes "Don't change it" will get up to before either of the shorter options register a vote?

I can tell you that my considerable annual contribution to the Hawthorn Football Club will be reduced by 100%.

It's bad enough that I am "donating" my membership dollars this year. The fans have been taken for mugs for far too long.

I can tell you that my considerable annual contribution to the Hawthorn Football Club will be reduced by 100%.

It's bad enough that I am "donating" my membership dollars this year. The fans have been taken for mugs for far too long.

Yeah everyone knew it was no longer the 'peoples game' and hasnt been for a while, but this whole saga just goes to show they dont give a flying * about what people want.

Even the players are eating their own, they say they need to cut staff/players and next minute managers and players are talking about having a player outside the salary cap so they can be paid more.....yeah dont worry about the other staff/players getting cut etc.

Back