Autopsy 16-minute quarters: which teams are winners and losers from this?

What do you think of the reduced quarters?

• Not sure yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I am sick of the Afl making changes every year You only have to watch the old replays and don't even know the rules. Between deliberate, out of bounds on the full, the sub and red vest OMG, number of interchange ,50 metre penalty , no more bouncedowns, etc The game doesn't even look the same . All the stats are out of whack as the rules are different every year. Now they say the quaters need shortening so Patrick Dangerfield can extend his career!!!! What a joke and this season in particular.. Whoever wins the premiership can't really celebrate it like it has any meaning.

If the umpires still wait for the TV signal to go then they'll start increasing the number of ads after goals to keep the total game up up at standard.

You mean like the NFL?
Couldn't believe upon first attending a few games (when I lived in the US years ago) how scripted the on field play was for TV commercial breaks? About every 10 minutes they stop play for 2 minutes of commercials - it's a bit bizzare and takes a while to get used to if you've never experienced it...

Related, but slightly off topic, rumour has it that Foxtel/Sports live game broadcasts won't be 'Ad free' for much longer as it simply can't afford to given their ongoing operational losses...

FYI, I'm not convinced shorter 16m AFL quarters will reduce injuries - however it would be interesting to see stats, if available, on how many players suffer an injury in the last 4 minutes of any quarter...?

Last edited:
Current quarters are too long, 20+ time on used to be okay when quarters would average 25-28 minutes but now they are extended out to 30+ because of time freezing during all stoppages.. Remove the stoppages and wont need to shorten the quarters.
In fact, quarters used to 25 minutes plus time-on up until the 1990’s, so they would regularly go 30+ minutes. Time-on would be added for any time lost after scores and serious injuries, but not for ball-ups or throw-ins. Hence the old pre-90’s saying “play out the hundred minutes of footy”

You mean like the NFL?
Couldn't believe upon first attending a few games (when I lived in the US years ago) how scripted the on field play was for TV commercial breaks? About every 10 minutes they stop play for 2 minutes of commercials - it's a bit bizzare and takes a while to get used to if you've never experienced it...

Related, but slightly off topic, rumour has it that Foxtel/Sports live game broadcasts won't be 'Ad free' for much longer as it simply can't afford to given their ongoing operational losses...

FYI, I'm not convinced shorter 16m AFL quarters will reduce injuries - however it would be interesting to see stats, if available, on how many players suffer an injury in the last 4 minutes of any quarter...?
If the AFL gets to a point where the umpire calls time off and a break for a few minutes of ads each quarter when the clock says 2:00 then we are doomed.

If the AFL gets to a point where the umpire calls time off and a break for a few minutes of ads each quarter when the clock says 2:00 then we are doomed.

Agree and I do hope we don't get to that - but I fear our habit of adopting many 'US' concepts in relation to the commercial aspects of sports broadcasting, it wouldn't surprise me in the future short time-outs for 'OH&S reasons' were introduced, which also allowed for commercial breaks.

For those lamenting the new shorter AFL quarters (and reasons thereof), maybe interested to learn the actual game time play during an average 3 hour NFL match broadcast (despite a match being technically 60 minutes duration) is only around 12 minutes total..!!!

In plain terms, Yanks sit in front of a TV for 3 hours to watch on average 12 minutes of actual play! I simply can't see the AFL trying to impose that on Aussies anytime soon..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steve Hocking in an interview on FiveAA in Adelaide on Wednesday confirmed that the new rules for this season including 16 minute quarters will be for this season only.

Quote: "The AFL commission approved amendments to the game, those amendments are only for the 2020 season, there clearly there to help navigate through the tricky waters we are in, it is just solely for 2020 what has been implemented, it is about care for our players and more broadly for the staff as well".

2:30-3:12

the clue has always been in the comments of the administration of the day. they try and convince the public that the game is too long, then propose changes that only shave a couple of minutes off the game time. those 2 minutes are afl broadcast deal gold and don't serve any other purpose. they aren't the difference between someone sitting down to watch a game from bounce to final siren and i'm surprised and disappointed to learn from media pundits that attention spans could even be thought of as an excuse. taking that sliver of time off won't solve any of the afl's problems other than money problems.

covid-19 would allow the afl to ramrod through more extreme permanent changes. not sure it will happen, but i wouldn't be surprised.

Agree and I do hope we don't get to that - but I fear our habit of adopting many 'US' concepts in relation to the commercial aspects of sports broadcasting, it wouldn't surprise me in the future short time-outs for 'OH&S reasons' were introduced, which also allowed for commercial breaks.

For those lamenting the new shorter AFL quarters (and reasons thereof), maybe interested to learn the actual game time play during an average 3 hour NFL match broadcast (despite a match being technically 60 minutes duration) is only around 12 minutes total..!!!

In plain terms, Yanks sit in front of a TV for 3 hours to watch on average 12 minutes of actual play! I simply can't see the AFL trying to impose that on Aussies anytime soon..
Biggest fallacy of all time by heavy hitters like Hutchie is that America is best and we need to copy yanks to 'keep up with the times'.

This is utter horse s**t.
Our culture is thankfully vastly different to American culture.

People like Hutchie have a vested interest in two things :

1. Money
2. Advertising

They then try and bully fans to think this is 'progress'.

Nobody is fooled by this bullshit anymore.

Last edited:
I am sick of the Afl making changes every year You only have to watch the old replays and don't even know the rules. Between deliberate, out of bounds on the full, the sub and red vest OMG, number of interchange ,50 metre penalty , no more bouncedowns, etc The game doesn't even look the same . All the stats are out of whack as the rules are different every year. Now they say the quaters need shortening so Patrick Dangerfield Ablett can extend his career!!!! What a joke and this season in particular.. Whoever wins the premiership can't really celebrate it like it has any meaning.
EFA

Look at their national sports - American football and baseball. Two of the slowest paced games in the world that are ridiculously commercialized. Just because it's popular over here (I'm an Aussie expat), doesn't mean it's any good. Watching those two sports live is the most mind-numbingly boring s**t I've ever experienced.

the clue has always been in the comments of the administration of the day. they try and convince the public that the game is too long, then propose changes that only shave a couple of minutes off the game time. those 2 minutes are afl broadcast deal gold and don't serve any other purpose. they aren't the difference between someone sitting down to watch a game from bounce to final siren and i'm surprised and disappointed to learn from media pundits that attention spans could even be thought of as an excuse. taking that sliver of time off won't solve any of the afl's problems other than money problems.

covid-19 would allow the afl to ramrod through more extreme permanent changes. not sure it will happen, but i wouldn't be surprised.

It went from 20 min time-on to 16 = 20% of game time reduction. That's a whole lot more than "a couple of minutes".

Quite like the shorter quarters. If it reduces the chance of injuries to players, even better. Also liking the play each team once idea. A much fairer way to run a competition.

Play everyone once is fine. I see no reason for shorter quarters other than broadcasters and players trying to push their agenda.

In fact, quarters used to 25 minutes plus time-on up until the 1990’s, so they would regularly go 30+ minutes. Time-on would be added for any time lost after scores and serious injuries, but not for ball-ups or throw-ins. Hence the old pre-90’s saying “play out the hundred minutes of footy”

And teams started killing the clock by causing repeat boundary throw-ins and ball-ups which is why they went to 20 minutes with time-on included for stoppages

Back