16 minute quarters (YES or NO)

Would you like 16 minute quarters to be retained beyond this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with short quarters is that it makes a come-back really difficult. In most games, if you got 25-30 points in front, you were pretty comfortable that you'd win.
Except for two clear instances this weekend when leads of that size got overturned and a third that was only a kick away.🤡

Make the final quarter the usual length?

Here's an idea, how about we just the leave the game as it has always been played :think:
I mean the 3rd man-rucking rule, the 6-6-6, no more bumps, no more feet near a players head when marking . . . I really won't be surprised if our (once great) game now gets killed off completely by the current world pandemic.

People's interest have slowly been shifting away from the sport for a period of 10+ years.

Interesting point by Wayne Carey on The Age RealFooty podcast. He was in favour of it because it allowed the better players to be on the ground longer, but he thought it should be combined with a cut to the interchanges (down from 90 to 50).

Once things return to normality, whenever that is, do you support retaining 16 minute quarters as we've seen this weekend or would you prefer to go back to the original 20 minute plus time on quarters.

I keep hearing from the football media that everyone is in favour of 16 minute quarters, but I think they're doing the bidding of the AFL and most supporters are against it.

There can never be enough footy. Advocating for less is just a s**t idea.

If the season does restart, the problem is that a round has alreasdy been played at 16 minutes. I'm in favour of 20 minutes, but having started the season with 16 is it feasible to change mid-season? ................ oh, yes, it is, they change rules mid-season fairly often, and "interpretations" often change mid-round early in the year.

I mean the 3rd man-rucking rule
This one shits me. Last year the AFL tweeted the clip from the 89 grand final when Gazza soared over the ruckmen at a boundary throw-in, grabbed the pill and snapped a goal, as one of the great GF highlights (it is). I tweeted back at them "you do realise that would be a free against him under today's rules?" (no response).

The ironic and ridiculous thing is if you watch that game and how it's umpired, it's a blueprint for how the game should be played. The umpires quickly call for a ball-up instead of waiting for 25 players to gather, and bounce the ball immediately, with often 4 or more players contesting the ball-up, because who cares, the idea is to get the game moving asap. It's even more ironic and ridiculous because Steve ******* Hocking played in the damn game!

Have a flat 20 minutes per quarter with no time on for the 1st and 2nd quarter and maximum 5 minutes no more for the 3rd and 4th quarter.
17 games with a bye after the 7th game which can be either an All Star game or State game with $$$$ going to charity and a bye after round 14 with that being a community based day with all AFL players going back to they original clubs for the day to help raise $$$$ for them.
Then finals.

Looks at poll numbers - 86.5% no at time of posting.

Yet remembers hearing so much fluff from commentators and some 'leading players' that the public are open to shorter quarters: - o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the season does restart, the problem is that a round has alreasdy been played at 16 minutes. I'm in favour of 20 minutes, but having started the season with 16 is it feasible to change mid-season? ................ oh, yes, it is, they change rules mid-season fairly often, and "interpretations" often change mid-round early in the year.
I got no issues with this specific season sticking to what did in first round and it does allow for the extra reason to shorten the minimum breaks between games that players agreed to in circumstances. But next season back to normal quarters of around 30 minutes.

Back