Senior 16. Sam De Koning (2020 -)

Remove this Banner Ad

Very interested in how this plays out. Will he be used in defence or trained up as a ruck??

No Smith, Abbott or Buzza (lol) now. No one traded in.
Henderson gone. So Schlensog as key defensive back up, and Kreuger as a swingman.

Interested to see how we utilise Freddie now. One step further back in the queue now with Jenkins on board.

wells mentioned forward defence and ruck

DeKoning comes from a footy family ... I hope we all get behind him ..he is years away from being needed and will take that to develop a good sized body..

Will be much more interesting watching the VFL with some talls with scope, in Kreuger and De Koning, compared to your Abbott, Buzza, House types of the last couple of years.

It is not a high percentage play but I don't mind it.

Unlike most I do think we need defenders. We have the 9 Chris Scott picks every week but beyond that only Zuthrie.

This guy was probably the only other genuine tall behind McAsey but is he too big at 200+cm?

Im not sure he works as a intercept kpd at that height..i wonder if we are maybe going to try him as a kpf or ruck once he bulks up.

Will be much more interesting watching the VFL with some talls with scope, in Kreuger and De Koning, compared to your Abbott, Buzza, House types of the last couple of years.

Essentially if Stanley and Sav and Blitz Kolo are in the 1s you have Fort rucking in the vfl with Kreuger and Schlensog as kpfs...de koning fwd or chb..with maybe HT and Jenkins dropping back to vfl at times.

Wells said in the FoxFooty interview before, we can also see him play and develop into a ruck or Key Forward..... Anyone know much in this?

Wouldn’t surprise me. He previously played as a wingman before growing 14cm in the past year. He played as a KPD for the first time this year and was named All Australian FB. He’s got huge upside and has shown he’s a fast learner. Rapt with this selection.

Had an enormous game against WA at the Champs. Took five intercept marks in the first quarter alone. He’s the only reason VC were still in the game late in the final quarter.

I didn't get Sam Taylor but now we have Sam De Konig.
All them WA kids are still on the board by the way.
We needed a tall, bit earlier than l thought but a need covered.

His highlights look promising. Probably won't play AFL in 2020 though, so I'm surprised again they selected him so early when there was still some good talent available.
JFI, what did you think of the Demons' #3 selection?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mbt7IA4.jpg

Removed any doubt in my mind. Has the traits we look into for a key defender. Attribute wise he lines up perfectly to r eplace Taylor.

I thought him a good choice at P36 then he started to move up to around P20 and inside 20 even.
I think he's a little speculative at that pick, but has huge upside talent (certainly has it).
Interviewed particularly well, l wanted him albeit later but he may well be worth it.

Last edited:
Could he be our next Ruckman? Even though he’s a Backman..like to see how he goes in the middle when he’s played a heap of games..could be like a Blitz type, play back and Ruck when needed!
Hedging bets a bit with maybe him developing into ruckman. Hmm interesting.

Can’t see how someone can just become a ruckman. I reckon its too late to make him one now.

JFI, what did you think of the Demons' #3 selection?
Given they have Gawn & Pruest already, I thought it was odd myself but maybe they plan to play him as a forward relieving ruck early on. But the kid looked like he could be an AA ruckman at some point. Pruest must be wondering if he made the right decision to go to Melbourne right now.

Given they have Gawn & Pruest already, I thought it was odd myself but maybe they plan to play him as a forward relieving ruck early on. But the kid looked like he could be an AA ruckman at some point. Pruest must be wondering if he made the right decision to go to Melbourne right now.
He's an idiot in the first place. Going to a team with the best ruckman in the game. What did he expect to do, outplay gawn and take his spot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back