Player Watch #16: Scott Thompson - has signed a one year contract extension (end 2019) at NMFC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Happy to have the better player selected on form. It will be disappointing if Scott's form falls away next year but he is selected irregardless of form.
No slight on Scotty - been a real good player. But I think EVW should be first choice in this position by the end of he year.

muttley45

Premium Gold
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Indianapolis Colts
Gotta love Thommo, Shinboner personified, his form, if continued will mean he is consistently selected in the seniors. My lasting memory of him last year was playing out a game with a pretty average bandage job over badly splattered nose, and iirc, he copped more than just the one hit on it, probably lost a litre of blood too, keep on keepin on Scooter.

nj23

Draftee
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very faithful servant of the club. I doubt he would ever retire unless he was asked to by the club.
I feel like the plan might be to try and have him play for a dozen games as they try to manage bringing in the younger guys.

Devington

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Gotta love Thommo, Shinboner personified, his form, if continued will mean he is consistently selected in the seniors. My lasting memory of him last year was playing out a game with a pretty average bandage job over badly splattered nose, and iirc, he copped more than just the one hit on it, probably lost a litre of blood too, keep on keepin on Scooter.
He copped at least three decent blows to it over the course of the game. Was the same game where two to three other blokes were off bloodied at various times. Really wet and shit game iirc.

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Milf Smashers
No slight on Scotty - been a real good player. But I think EVW should be first choice in this position by the end of he year.
Thompson is the second picked defender in the team. Was flying in the B&F up until he picked up some niggles in the last 25% of the season.

He'll play every game this year, and will probably play next year also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Moderator #2,287
Thompson is the second picked defender in the team. Was flying in the B&F up until he picked up some niggles in the last 25% of the season.

He'll play every game this year, and will probably play next year also.
Some people have been championing his demise for about 4 seasons now.

They might've missed the bit about the bloke being an ultra-professional. He's very intelligent and organised in life and applies these attributes to his football.

Sure this might be his last season. But watch his interviews upon re-signing in the last 2-3 years. At no point does he ever say anything that suggests he's there to make up the numbers or just usher the young guys along. He (rightly) backs himself to play a key role in every game he plays and more than often does.

roos_fanatic08

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think there will be a bit of a changing of the gaurd this year with the key position spot with McKay to come on in leaps and bounds.

However I don’t think that will come
At the expense of Thompson, I think Thompson will shift into that third tall type role (especially with Maj out). He is a much better defender than Mcdonald or McMillan and is equally at home to providing offence with his kicking.

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Milf Smashers
Some people have been championing his demise for about 4 seasons now.
The "change is always better" posse.

They might've missed the bit about the bloke being an ultra-professional. He's very intelligent and organised in life and applies these attributes to his football.

Sure this might be his last season. But watch his interviews upon re-signing in the last 2-3 years. At no point does he ever say anything that suggests he's there to make up the numbers or just usher the young guys along. He (rightly) backs himself to play a key role in every game he plays and more than often does.
Pick 37 plucked from an opposition reserves list and he goes on to be AA, a B&F and play 222+ games for the club. He's a gun, and we are blessed to have him at our club.

I know there will be some "I agree........but" responses for Scott, but there really aren't any "but" responses that are worthy. He's in our best 22, and that's it. Long may it reign.

roos_fanatic08

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He maintains and he plays again next year.
100%.

Hopefully McKay develops or Daw returns next year so we can allow Thompson to play that Third tall/intercepting role that he plays so well.

I feel ashamed to admit that I had the fork in him after that poor year a few years back.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not enough been said about how good he has played since he came back in.

Also love when he takes the kicks in. Is a shit load better decision maker than Jmac.
It's an indictment to event speak of them in the same sentence. Thommo reached elite status in his career and is still very good, while Jmac shouldn't even be best 22 for a team that sits second last.

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Moderator #2,299
Under a new coach yes, but if Thommo is only there to assist a further contract extension, I'm saying no.
He plays on in any scenario for mine excepting a dramatic drop-off. Is a quality player in his own right but is also an excellent role model and stabiliser in a part of the ground you don't need to be getting hammered even during a rebuild.

shinboner magic

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
He plays on in any scenario for mine excepting a dramatic drop-off. Is a quality player in his own right but is also an excellent role model and stabiliser in a part of the ground you don't need to be getting hammered even during a rebuild.
Such an honest and consistent leader of our club.
He has to play on - we have no depth there

Top Bottom