Past #16: Scott Thompson - to retire end of 2019 season - thanks Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm all for giving the kids a go but Thompson is best 22. There are improvements that need to happen in the other 22 spots. The KPD positions are one of our last issues. EVW is one of my favourites but he's been able to play 14 games in 4 years thanks in large part to some unlucky shoulder and knee collision injuries - we can't rely on him. Personally I would be playing Neilson as he's one of my favourites but at the moment it appears that the coaches don't share that same sentiment.

Hibberd, Murphy, and Junker are more of those medium defender types and 2 of those aren't guaranteed to even be on the list next season.

Thompson has never played less that 19 games in a season since his debut year. That's a dependable player with a lot of versatility. Just like Firrito he keeps playing well and even managed to improve from his last season form. In my opinion he's given another year - it's up to McKay, Nielson, Durdin, and Watson to displace him in the pre-season. I'd start with EVW, Tarrant, and McKay with Thompson ready to step in when injury or form warrants it.

Scott Thompson is the least of our concern when it comes to best 22.
Yep happy to keep him on, just think others should get a gig 1st. Junker, although lighter, is 1cm taller than Thompson.

Should play on. Still playing good football so why retire/push him out??. Reason Majak has been very good this year is because he had Thompson and Tarrant 'looking after him'. Don't think Majak is capable of being anything but the 3rd defender.

Should play on. Still playing good football so why retire/push him out??. Reason Majak has been very good this year is because he had Thompson and Tarrant 'looking after him'. Don't think Majak is capable of being anything but the 3rd defender.
McKay is ready for full back maj would still play 3rd defender

Yep happy to keep him on, just think others should get a gig 1st. Junker, although lighter, is 1cm taller than Thompson.
I think Junker is too far back and more of a utility. Doesn't have that flexibility to play on a Key back. He may be taller than Thompson but Thompson has years of old man strength accrued and experience/body positioning nous etc. Nielson is the man - he can play tall or small if needed.

I think Junker is too far back and more of a utility. Doesn't have that flexibility to play on a Key back. He may be taller than Thompson but Thompson has years of old man strength accrued and experience/body positioning nous etc. Nielson is the man - he can play tall or small if needed.
Yep I agree, just threw up Junker as a possibility. Totally agree on Neilson.

In my opinion he's given another year - it's up to McKay, Nielson, Durdin, and Watson to displace him in the pre-season. I'd start with EVW, Tarrant, and McKay with Thompson ready to step in when injury or form warrants it.
Ideally yes. If he goes on he should be part of a rotation. But the sad reality is ...

I think it's another case of a bloke that Scott can't help playing if he's on the list.

Absolutely love the bloke and he could probably go around again, but from a list management point of view I think he has to go.
Scott has a lot of trust in mature players. And lets face it, if you're no good you're not still on a list at 30+. I think his last month suggests he's likely to struggle down the home stretch again and we don't need that in 2019.

Was playing career best footy in the first half of the year with plenty of talk of All Australian selection. Would be a brutal call to show him the door now. I’d love to see McKay getting more opportunity but you don’t sacrifice quality players to make it happen.

Also no coincidence that after BJ went down our defence came under a lot more pressure and started to leak.

Was playing career best footy in the first half of the year with plenty of talk of All Australian selection. Would be a brutal call to show him the door now. I’d love to see McKay getting more opportunity but you don’t sacrifice quality players to make it happen.

Also no coincidence that after BJ went down our defence came under a lot more pressure and started to leak.

And Jed’s hammy

Look back to that Lions game after the Bye when they were both were missing

Totally messed up our structures around the ball

Throw in runbbish efforts off both Flank Lines and no wonder Scooter, Taz and Marley were under the pump post Bye

Really ticks me off when those three have become the Whipping Boys Post Bye. They are the last line who bare the brunt of the disasters up the ground. Were it not for Maj, the unexpected arrival, those 12 wins would have been less.

Keep for mine

The only issue i have with keeping him on is no matter how out of form, injured etc Brad will play him every week. He will never give someone else a opportunity for the entire 2019 with him being on the list which will have a negative impact in the long term

But in saying that when he is in form he is sensational

Its a hard one. Tough calls need to be made, but because we have a stubborn coach i think he shouldn't be given another contract so our youth in the VFL can play some actual AFL for once

Its a hard one. Tough calls need to be made, but because we have a stubborn coach i think he shouldn't be given another contract so our youth in the VFL can play some actual AFL for once

Why?

Why do "tough calls have to be made" in regards to a bloke that earned his spot in the side all year?

Why is there this bizarre obsession with shunting 30+ year old players?

Did you watch Jarard Waite this year?

You seem to think we are still years away from winning a flag, let me tell you something, if we can pick up Gaff & Polec, we can win the goddamn thing next year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why?

Why do "tough calls have to be made" in regards to a bloke that earned his spot in the side all year?

You seem to think we are still years away from winning a flag, let me tell you something, if we can pick up Gaff & Polec, we can win the goddamn thing next year!

IMO we are years away from a premiership

Of course i only wish success for us and a couple of great players is definitely going to help but does not automatically put us in contention

Why?

Agree with 1st 3 lines. On the fence on the 4th one.

I do not understand this obsession that some clubs have with players who have passed 30 years of age and need to be culled because they "will not be in our next premiership tilt". Getting rid of players who are still playing good football, and capable of being in the best 22, is one of the reasons why clubs don't get to their next premiership tilt in the near term. Those clubs lose a player/s who otherwise might be one of the keys to winning that elusive premiership. ScottyT absolutely deserves another year because he is playing well enough to keep out younger defenders on our list.

Right now he is far too accomplished/experienced to be pushed out. However the proviso should be that if next year his form dips and others move ahead of him, he must understand that going back to the Reserves and showing the same commitment to the cause, is paramount.

IMO we are years away from a premiership

Of course i only wish success for us and a couple of great players is definitely going to help but does not automatically put us in contention

Well, there's our fundamental difference.

We flogged 2 of the top 4 sides this year and took the premiership favorites to the wire.

Well, there's our fundamental difference.

We flogged 2 of the top 4 sides this year and took the premiership favorites to the wire.

We are one gun midfielder away.

One who avoids turnovers like the plague.

One who hits leading targets like they're going out of fashion.

There's bugger all separating the first dozen clubs in this comp, and we have much better upside than several other clubs in the top 8.

LDU, Simpkin, Walker, Wood, McDonald, Ahern, Dumont, Turner, Vickers-Willis and Hartung have not peaked yet.

There's bugger all separating the first dozen clubs in this comp, and we have much better upside than several other clubs in the top 8.

LDU, Simpkin, Walker, Wood, McDonald, Ahern, Dumont, Turner, Vickers-Willis and Hartung have not peaked yet.

I know we all harp on about it, but Kelly fits on to our list like a bespoke glove.

If we get our targets this off season plus add Jacobs we should be balls deep in a top 4 battle. That's not even taking into consideration natural improvement in a few.

Add Kelly the year after.....

If we get none and our kids stagnate we'll do well to hold ground.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

If we get our targets this off season plus add Jacobs we should be balls deep in a top 4 battle. That's not even taking into consideration natural improvement in a few.

Add Kelly the year after.....

Mate, I would be expecting a flag!

Missing the top 4 would be an abject failure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back