Past #16: Scott Thompson - to retire end of 2019 season - thanks Scott

jclei

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2010
Forward 50
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He deserves to go around again if his body is right. We have some issues in our defensive 50 but hes not one of them. As others have mentioned - the club needs to start rotating some of these guys though or we will have a 33 yr old and 30 year old as our key defenders with our next in line KPD on half a game given he got knocked out half way through

Im expecting a 1 year extension now that W80 has retired for Scooter

Ideally yes. If he goes on he should be part of a rotation. But the sad reality is ...

Scott has a lot of trust in mature players. And lets face it, if you're no good you're not still on a list at 30+. I think his last month suggests he's likely to struggle down the home stretch again and we don't need that in 2019.

His last month has involved playing with a broken face hasn't it?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Scott is still a very good player. Show some respect to a loyal servant and sign him now rather than wait for some mysterious outcome to play out first North.

Again, same with Jed, I think it will be about amounts, not list spots.

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
With Neilson gone and if true about Durds wanting to go home it makes sense.
Not sure McKay will be to upbeat about it...

Would want to be asking the hard questions at his end of season review with a crystal clear path of how he is to go about his footy to get a senior game.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Would want to be asking the hard questions at his end of season review with a crystal clear path of how he is to go about his footy to get a senior game.

We could swing Daw forward. Taz and McKay pick up key tall. Scooter loose man.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS

I'd sit them down together, and tell Scott very bluntly that they want McKay to take his job away. That way you let Scooter he's no automatic selection and Ben know he's next up.

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
I'd sit them down together, and tell Scott very bluntly that they want McKay to take his job away. That way you let Scooter he's no automatic selection and Ben know he's next up.
After being gameless for an entire season, I doubt Ben buys that bullshit, especially from a bloke that plays experience over youth no matter the form lines...

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
If Majak plays his 50th game this weekend, hopefully he'll be up around 75 games by the end of next year.
Imagine what
Form warrants going around again but the side needs Neilson, Durdin & McKay getting game time next year.

Who knows. Maybe Tarrant goes forward to help out BBB and McKay comes into the back line. Maybe McKay, Daw, and Tarrant rotate through the forward line to keep the opposition guessing???

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
After being gameless for an entire season, I doubt Ben buys that bullshit, especially from a bloke that plays experience over youth no matter the form lines...

In context remember Ben was v young when drafted and will be 21 all next season. Patience dear grasshopper. Reckon Benny will play every game next year just could see players in different roles at different times. Maj running off a half back flank and time in the ruck don’t forget. Could easily see Maj, Benny and Robbie even spending time forward. Also by some of Loaders comments was almost like they want to play Benny forward but have been playing him back to teach him defense.

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Even if Tarrant, Thompson and Maj are first choices, the chances of injury are high. I reckon McKay will play - first game for sure - and then who knows, play well and keep your place.

Back