Past #16: Scott Thompson - to retire end of 2019 season - thanks Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

The decades best intercept defender

I can’t believe they keep making excuses for Rance on the back of missing this year. If they want to back it up with stats for how many games each played in that period it might have a fragment of relevance, but durability does too. Scotty was better than Rance end of conversation.

Scooter deserved a flag. Out of him, Drew and Swallow he’s the one that deserved a shot most IMO.
Was a gun right till the end and had to consistently defend what is and at times was a weak midfield.

The decades best intercept defender

Just on this amazing how Goldstein continually gets overlooked as the premier ruckmen of the decade.
Gawn only came into it in 2016 and Grundy 2017. Sandilands hasn’t been relevant since 2015.
North factor in full swing here. Goldstein was consistently top shelf from 2010 onwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe it's only been 3 years since he hung up the boots.

Feels like an eternity ago.
That's how long it's taken us to fill the massive hole he left in the side, finally, with Griffin Logue.

******* hated Sam Pang's feigned surprise about him being AA and the little jab at him about how it must've been a bad year, but it's illustrative of what an underrated player he was in the wider football world. At one stage he was the only key defender who could hold Buddy Franklin, actually towelled him up a couple of times. Will never forget the absolute ecstatic high of watching him run down Hayden Ballantyne. One of the rare defenders who could play on every type of forward, and also such a smart player structurally, always knew how to get to good spots for a crucial spoil or intercept mark.

That's how long it's taken us to fill the massive hole he left in the side, finally, with Griffin Logue.

******* hated Sam Pang's feigned surprise about him being AA and the little jab at him about how it must've been a bad year, but it's illustrative of what an underrated player he was in the wider football world. At one stage he was the only key defender who could hold Buddy Franklin, actually towelled him up a couple of times. Will never forget the absolute ecstatic high of watching him run down Hayden Ballantyne. One of the rare defenders who could play on every type of forward, and also such a smart player structurally, always knew how to get to good spots for a crucial spoil or intercept mark.
Yeah I like Sam Pang and I get that that’s his comic style but it grated for me too. I felt I was being a touch sensitive though.

Yeah I like Sam Pang and I get that that’s his comic style but it grated for me too. I felt I was being a touch sensitive though.
You're right to be sensitive about it when it just contributes to an already existing narrative about a champion of our club, that he was just some annoying campaigner who got headlocked by Barry Hall once.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back