Western Bulldogs
images-42.jpeg
(Will get bigger image)

Dob:31/01/96
Height: 180cm
Weight: 72kg
Position: Forward/Midfield
Drafted: Pick #26, 2014 National Draft, from Narre Warren/Oakleigh Chargers

A Small Forward/Midfielder that had an outstandingly consistent year kicking 32 goals and averaging 22 disposals across his 20 games, McLean had been cut from the squad of the Dandenong Stingrays before being given a shot at the Oakleigh Chargers where he'd soon be known as a high flying small forward who was a crafty goal kicker. Later in the year he was given a shot in the midfield of Oakleigh adding another feather to his cap with multiple 30+ disposal games these consistent performance in the home and away season earned him runners up in the TAC Cup's B&F.

His finals campaign was just as impressive standing up to kick the winning goal against the Geelong Falcons and being named man of the match in the 2014 TAC Cup Grand Final after starring in the second quarter finishing with 22 disposals, 9 marks and 2 goals for the match.

McLean was drafted by the Western Bulldogs with the dogs first selection, Pick 26 of the 2014 National Draft. Adding exeptional kicking (3rd in National Combine kicking test with 27/30) and discision making skills as well as dangerous forward prowess to the list.

Simon Says:

"Toby basically had a super consistent year, forward/mid-fielder, really creative, got good agility, really good endurance, and just some great game sense."

"Can win the ball at ground level and in the air, as well as contested ball and he is a neat kick"

Last edited:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-05-13/highflying-mclean-exciting-fans
Young Bulldog Toby McLean is quickly capturing the attention of Footscray fans with his finesse and creativity around goal.

The 19-year-old has excited VFL onlookers’ in recent weeks, most noticeably with a crafty goal from the boundary line in round three.

McLean kicked the opening two goals of the third quarter, putting his side back in contention, but it was the first of the two that had tongues wagging about the draftee’s potential.

Bulldogs Head of Development Chris Maple says it’s no surprise McLean is exciting fans.

“Toby is playing a variety of roles, he has some real talent and he’s a real excitement-machine when he’s up and about

“He is also working hard on the defensive part of his game.”

That defensive part of McLean’s game is being developed in the VFL under the watchful eye of Footscray coach Ashley Hansen.

McLean says Hansen’s influence has been enormous to date.

“Ash is a great coach, he’s been really good with the young guys, really guiding us, really mentoring us and it’s been good so far.”

McLean is relishing the opportunity to play alongside a young list, and he says his teammates have also had an impact on his start to the season.

“I’ve been working with Bailey Dale, who obviously kicked five in one match, so I’m learning a few things off him.

“I’m getting closer with the younger boys but I’ve got Lukey Dahlhaus as my mentor so getting close to him and Tom Campbell, whose locker is next to mine.”

I like this guy. Like him a lot. Not because we went to the same school, but he has genuine X-Factor.

9f733f9e2e4ea62a31aca2faffba3a54

Remove this Banner Ad

Back