Opinion 160 Heroes

Remove this Banner Ad

In 2008 we celebrated the 150 year milestone by coming up with a list of 150 heroes of the best/most important footballers to grace our club.

The 150 players named as heroes are listed below:

Jimmy Abernethy, Frank Adams, Bill Allen, Stan Alves, Syd Anderson, Tony Anderson, Lance Arnold, Ron Baggott, Garry Baker, Harold Ball, Ron Barassi, Percy Beames, John Beckwith, George Bickford, Ray Biffin, Barry Bourke, Harry Brereton, Cameron Bruce, Keith Carroll, Geoff Case, Bert Chadwick, Noel Clarke, Geoff Collins, Jack Collins, Chris Connolly, Bob Corbett, Denis Cordner, Don Cordner, Ted Cordner, Vin Coutie, Harry Coy, Jimmy Davidson, Frank Davis, Ross Dillon, Carl Ditterich, Brian Dixon, Len Dockett, Adrian Dullard, Hugh Dunbar, Richie Emselle, Fred Fanning, Jeff Farmer, Matthew Febey, Steven Febey, Dick Fenton-Smith, Rowley Fischer, Robert Flower, Laurie Fowler, Maurie Gibb, Peter Giles, Terry Gleeson, Brad Green, Rod Grinter, George Haines, Gary Hardeman, Henry Harrison, Gerard Healy, Greg Healy, Dick Hingston, Paul Hopgood, Danny Hughes, Anthony Ingerson, Eddie Jackson, Alan Johnson, Robert B Johnson, Tassie Johnson, Trevor Johnson, Travis Johnstone, Gordon Jones, Les Jones, Bryan Kenneally, Allan La Fontaine, Clyde Laidlaw, Frank Langley, Jack Leith, Andrew Leoncelli, Charlie Lilley, Wally Lock, Harry Long, John Lord, Andy Lovell, Brett Lovett, Glenn Lovett, Garry Lyon, Hassa Mann, George Margitich, Peter Marquis, Bernie Massey, Anthony McDonald, James McDonald, Fred McGinis, Shane McGrath, Bob McKenzie, Col McLean, Ian McLean, Noel McMahen, Ken Melville, Laurie Mithen, Peter Moore, Jack Mueller, David Neitz, Stephen Newport, Jack O'Keefe, Andrew Obst, Gordon Ogden, Greg Parke, Joe Pearce, Jack Purse, Ian Ridley, Guy Rigoni, Frank Roberts, Russell Robertson, Alby Rodda, Brian Roet, Peter Rohde, Alan Rowarth, David Schwarz, Norm Smith, Steven Smith, Earl Spalding, Stuart Spencer, Charlie Streeter, Steven Stretch, Jim Stynes, Tony Sullivan, Richard Taylor, Ted Thomas, Ian Thorogood, Stephen Tingay, John Townsend, Keith Truscott, Geoff Tunbridge, Bill Tymms, Barrie Vagg, Francis Vine, Todd Viney, Ivor Warne-Smith, Ray Wartman, Athol Webb, Greg Wells, Jeff White, Sean Wight, Don Williams, Brian Wilson, Stan Wittman, Shane Woewodin, Graeme Yeats, Charlie Young, Adem Yze

Next year will be our 160th year as a club and it had me wondering what a list of 160 Heroes would look like.

For me it raised the following questions:
-Which 10 players would you add to the list?
-Would you exclusively pick the best 10 players of the last 10 years, or would you instead look at picking players from other eras that were overlooked?
-Would you omit anyone from the current list of 150 heroes?
-Does Jack Viney the 160 already or has he not been at the club long enough?

For mine I'd remove Chris Connolly (only played 84 games) from the 150 and add the following 11 players: Nathan Jones (2006-), Aaron Davey (2004-2013), Neil Cromton (1957-1966), Lynden Dunn (2005-2016), Colin Garland (2007-2017), James Frawley (2007-2014), Mark Jamar (2002-2015), Nathan Brown (1998-2007), Colin Sylvia (2004-2013), Brent Moloney (2005-2012) and Billy Deans (1942-1950)

In 2008 we celebrated the 150 year milestone by coming up with a list of 150 heroes of the best/most important footballers to grace our club.

Next year will be our 160th year as a club and it had me wondering what a list of 160 Heroes would look like.

-Would you exclusively pick the best 10 players of the last 10 years, or would you instead look at picking players from other eras that were overlooked?

For mine I'd remove Chris Connolly (only played 84 games) from the 150 and add the following 11 players: Nathan Jones (2006-), Aaron Davey (2004-2013), Neil Cromton (1957-1966), Lynden Dunn (2005-2016), Colin Garland (2007-2017), James Frawley (2007-2014), Mark Jamar (2002-2015), Nathan Brown (1998-2007), Colin Sylvia (2004-2013), Brent Moloney (2005-2012) and Billy Deans (1942-1950)
Can't believe Whelan didn't make the squad. He'd be the first player I'd add.

I'm trying to think of a greater insult than being evicted from a list of club greats for the likes of Colin Sylvia, but it's extremely difficult. I also think this list would be based on more than just games played / playing ability, and as such wouldn't be inviting Frawley, Sylvia or Moloney anywhere near it.

Not sure that there is an option to remove people - but agree that Connolly's legacy in administration lessened his standing within the club.

I would only consider Nathan Jones as an addition at this point (he's a given), but would prefer to wait for his retirement to include him.

Aaron Davey is a consideration but I tend to lean towards utter elites for this type of award and would probably not get him in based mostly on his tenure within unseccesful teams.

Daisy Pearce In

Fight me
Damn good call.

I'd add Daisy, Whealan, Davey, Shaun Smith, Russian, Dunn, Jones, Vince (yes he hasn't hit 100 yet, don't care, the importance of Bernie to the resurrection cannot go understated), Tom McDonald (more games than Beamer in red and blue and quickly catching Sylvia) and Cromton.

There was a 100 game minimum 'or players had to fill multiples of other criteria', which is total bullshit on early players.

Austin Lewis (f the minimum)
Dick Wardill (ff the minimum)
Neil Crompton
Peter Keenan
Allen Jakovich (fff the minimum)
Aaron Davey
Brent Moloney
Matthew Whelan
Nathan Jones

If I can make changes:
IN: Daisy Pearce
OUT: Paul Hopgood

Gawn and Jack Viney unlucky - will have to get a run in the 170 heroes.

The club should put this out to a public vote next year (* even though I would argue the MFC wasn't officially formed until 1859 but that's a lost cause). It would be a good gimmick if tightly controlled to stop people voting in Dean Terlich.

There was a 100 game minimum 'or players had to fill multiples of other criteria', which is total bullshit on early players.

Austin Lewis (f the minimum)
Dick Wardill (ff the minimum)
Neil Crompton
Peter Keenan
Allen Jakovich (fff the minimum)
Aaron Davey
Brent Moloney
Matthew Whelan
Nathan Jones

If I can make changes:
IN: Daisy Pearce
OUT: Paul Hopgood

Gawn and Jack Viney unlucky - will have to get a run in the 170 heroes.

The club should put this out to a public vote next year (* even though I would argue the MFC wasn't officially formed until 1859 but that's a lost cause). It would be a good gimmick if tightly controlled to stop people voting in Dean Terlich.
Les bamblett 1 vote

Not sure that there is an option to remove people - but agree that Connolly's legacy in administration lessened his standing within the club.

I would only consider Nathan Jones as an addition at this point (he's a given), but would prefer to wait for his retirement to include him.

Aaron Davey is a consideration but I tend to lean towards utter elites for this type of award and would probably not get him in based mostly on his tenure within unseccesful teams.

I think solid players can be included when the likes of Paul Hopgood are already on the list & IMO can't believe he played 100 games. At least Darren Kowal didn't make the list.

I'm trying to think of a greater insult than being evicted from a list of club greats for the likes of Colin Sylvia, but it's extremely difficult. I also think this list would be based on more than just games played / playing ability, and as such wouldn't be inviting Frawley, Sylvia or Moloney anywhere near it.

I know what you mean but Frawley is one of only 16 Melbourne players to have ever been named an All-Australian/State Carnival player, and he did play 139 games with us. For mine he was too good to overlook for the team based on his on-field achievements and his ability, even if he did eventually leave for Hawthorn. Gerard Healy ditched us too for the Swans but he still made the 150 heroes.

Yeah was purely a hypothetical. My issue with Connolly isn't so much of his role in 'The Vault' but more that even at the time the heroes were named there was a sense that he was only included coz he'd just rejoined the club again as General Manager. He never played in a final, didn't play in a great era (missed most of our late 80's rise) and was predominantly injured a lot. Imo Jack Trengove would have a greater case to be added than Connolly and I wouldn't add him either.

I think one thing we forget is that we haven't had too many utter elites in the club. In terms of games, only 1 player has broken the 300 game mark (Neitz) and only 25 players have passed the 200 games mark.

In total we've had 154 players play more than 100 games in the Red and Blue, so in reality if you've passed the 100 game mark you're in with a shout of being in the list heroes. Naturally the club also gave some leeway to include those under 100 games that served in the second world war.

Davey played 178 games, won a best and fairest, had an awesome left boot and will go down as one of the greatest indigenous players to play for Melbourne. He was also a pretty handy small forward when we were actually good too. I'd say he's a lock

In total we've had 154 players play more than 100 games in the Red and Blue, so in reality if you've passed the 100 game mark you're in with a shout of being in the list heroes. Naturally the club also gave some leeway to include those under 100 games that served in the second world war.

That's the failing of a qualification mark like that - you give an advantage to 22 round era players vs 18 rounds, and stitch up players from the VFA/VFL crossover.

Colin Sylvia can * off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the * is this?

I can't believe Colin Sylvia being a "hero" is even being discussed. Meanwhile, no one has mentioned Woewodin (omg)... and Cuddles! What on Earth is he doing here?!??!?!

And then there's the completely average players like Leoncelli, Rigoni, one half of the Lovetts and Travis Jonstone, lol.

I think we should rename "150 Heroes" to "100+ reasonable players and a handful of genuine guns". I'd have Jayden Hunt and Tomas Bugg ahead of some of those guys, Jesus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back