Podcast 17-5 fixture - Making the league more equal

Remove this Banner Ad

How about everyone plays each other once and then the two bottom sides get eliminated after R17? We go back to eight games per round for the final five rounds.

That way we don't have to watch the two lousiest teams tank it up or argue about overly easy double up games for the last month.

Drop 3 clubs to VFL, bring in the Tassie team.

30 rounds, play every club home and away - no bye rounds.

Expand list, players only allowed to play maximum of 26 H&A matches - club decide when to rest/manage their players.

Get rid of the JLT games and the byes before, during and after H&A and the season is no longer than the current setup

Makes the most sense so AFL will never go with it.

Its the stupidest idea Ive ever heard repeated year after year

9 teams get 9 home, 8 away
9 teams get 8 home, 9 away

Its plausible for all teams in one group of 6 to 9 home, 8 away
How do you get them to 11-11? You cant

Also, imagine if the top team in the league managed to get 8 home, 9 away. But had the other top 6 as home games
How do you decide where the double up games are? You could force 1 team to travel to another both teams.
Wheres the fairness in that?
Its possible for 1 team to travel to Perth 3 times (technically 4, but surely the AFL would have each team play in wa/sa/nsw/qld once)

Honestly, I have a solution, however it wont guarantee the AFL having big rivalry double ups year on year.
Every team plays 1 team from each OTHER 3 team placement from the previous year

So 1-3 gets to play 1 team from 4-6, 7-9. 10-12. 13-15, 16-18
So by doing this for next year there's only 2 team we cant have double up games with. Port Adelaide and North Melbourne.
It also means theres a good chance you cant get a grand final rematch twice (but we can this year due to Richmond 3, GWS 6)

It should be 14 teams playing each other twice for 26 rounds. No byes. Start two weeks earlier.

The three worst supported Victorian teams immediately folded (Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne, St Kilda). Gold Coast also canned.

Done
We as a sport have gone to far down the track to be doing any of that. Whilst I agree with those clubs bar the Bulldogs (Melbourne shouldn't be in the competition) there would be far to much damage and outcry if that were to happen. This removal of clubs needed of happened back in the 80's or early 90's.

We as a sport have gone to far down the track to be doing any of that. Whilst I agree with those clubs bar the Bulldogs (Melbourne shouldn't be in the competition) there would be far to much damage and outcry if that were to happen. This removal of clubs needed of happened back in the 80's or early 90's.

You wouldn't forcibly fold them. You'd just pull all AFL financial backing so they aren't viable businesses any more.

Time for people to accept the reality that some clubs just shouldn't exist

Expand list, players only allowed to play maximum of 26 H&A matches - club decide when to rest/manage their players.

Get rid of the JLT games and the byes before, during and after H&A and the season is no longer than the current setup

I like it but they won't do it

EPL teams play 38 plus all the other outside comps. Surely we could do 30 plus finals. The main issue is running into cricket season at start and end of season, we need more stadiums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about you draw a line at the end of one season and a fixture is drawn up over three or so years in which each team plays the others both home and away? Like suburban leagues and the EPL, teams play away then home.

A team’s round one away opponent becomes the round eighteen’s home opponent, round two’s home opponent becomes round nineteen’s away and so on.

The length of the season could be adjusted so that the total number of matches over the home and away dovetails with the number required for each team to have played each other home and away over two or three years.

Those ridiculous concept games eg ANZAC Day Essendon v Collingwoods can be built in but should never be the sole province of any team as it automatically detracts from the fairness of a competition.

I know this will affect tv rights and the fixtures but, I believe, it’s a small price to pay to address the inequities of the current system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back