Past #17: Aaron Mullett - 85 NM games/31 goals - ‘11 Rookie Draft - Fish —> Carlton as DFA Nov’17

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be wrong (was standing and drinking so it's a little bit if a blur) but it seemed he lost a few crucial contests when isolated one on one?

He is a useless 1 v 1 defender. If he is going to make it it will be as a wingman.

I thought he started the game wing/half forward, but didn't impact the game in that role. He is the type of player though who could have ended up with three goals, so is a frystrating sort - seems so close yet so far away from being a damaging footballer.

I thought he started the game wing/half forward, but didn't impact the game in that role. He is the type of player though who could have ended up with three goals, so is a frystrating sort - seems so close yet so far away from being a damaging footballer.
Yeah he's one of our most frustrating players. Where does your specific interest in him come from if you don't mind me asking?

I thought he played much further up the ground in the 1st half to reasonable effect. Was virtually playing as a winger roaming in between the arcs.

When McDonald went down, we needed to push him back and he struggled defending 1v1 and made some poor decisions.

Directly or in-directly? I saw him kick backwards to MacMillan in the 3rd, and he turned it over.. not sure that was Mullett's fault..

It doesn't matter.

He marks it on the wing and goes all the way back to the defensive 50 without even contemplating a forward kick. Why?

And he did it twice!

Been a big fan of Fishy but he must go back to VFL now and work on his game.

He is making terrible decisions and defensively struggling. He can play and moves well and a good kick when free, but he is just doing too much wrong.

Fishy, Wagner and Ray hurt us a fair bit last night (apologies to Wags as I know first game so understandable, also looked good at times) - even in a game we smashed them despite losing.........

Imagine the Captain, Cunners and Higgins to replace them (let alone the rest of our outs)? Sure we need to restructure but we can easily do that considering our mid/flanker options :thumbsu:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good summation. Lost his kicking precision and lost his run which doesn't leave that much else.

Really rated him but it's just not clicking for Mullett this season.
Doesn't get in low enough in the contest or react fast enough. At least when B-Mac is slow to commit he throws his whole body in and remains on the defensive side when Mullett does it he just gets caught off balance and pushed out too often.

And mark my words he will get better due to the extended run

He simply has to get better than what he was last night.

At the moment he is showing himself not capable at the level.

I think we are starting to see the reasons he was initially only selected in the rookie draft. Very poor decision maker. Has good athletic traits but doesnt seem like a smart footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back