Past #17: Aaron Mullett - 85 NM games/31 goals - ‘11 Rookie Draft - Fish —> Carlton as DFA Nov’17

Remove this Banner Ad

We moved away from high tempo handball and run to a long kicking game. We havent changed much in the last 3 years. Biggest shift was post the embarassing qualifying final loss to West Coast.

What are the other changes you're thinking of?
Scotts started with a kick it long around the boundary line game plan, basically what he had learnt at Collingwood.
We then tried the run and gun game plan, trying to copy the skills of Geelong.
After that we changed to a more possession based plan where we would chip it around, copying the vogue at the time of the switch.
Then we moved to a contested ball, kick it long to the tall forwards game plan.

The reason we haven't changed much in the last 3 years is because Hawks have won three in a row and Brad had nothing "new" to copy. Now with the Dogs winning he can come up with a "new" idea!

Make or break year. If he hasn't cemented himself by now I don't think it will ever happen to be honest.

Another C-grader with potential who has failed to develop. Hard to believe this is his 6th year on the list.

Hope my Pesimissim is proven wrong however.
7th year on the list im fairly sure, turns 25 soon.

Mullet needs to be moved up the ground, one on one defensively he is average and whilst a brilliant kick he makes some poor decisions. I believe he is a wingman and his time in the backline can only help going forward. I think a few of these fringe players may excel with the moving on of senior players, I'm hoping they all do.

He is right about training though. Some people in the sport where I play pro/amateur some guys can come in and not play for 2 years like they didnt miss a game....whereas myself personally am like chalk and cheese from if I dont practice or train but end up better than those guys when we both train.

People were critical of Mullet but I think he still has it in him and just was a bit unlucky. He was like chalk and cheese from his first game last year and his latter ones. IMO.

Kid can play. Needs to be forward of the HBF however, as others have said. Looked to be possibly injured last year or down on confidence, but if he returns to 2013 form or anywhere near it, he will make a huge difference.

Interesting comment from Brad Green on the website...

“Once Luke (McDonald) and Sam (Wright) went down with their injuries, Fishy got his chance.

“I’ve got no doubt that throughout the year he would have got his chance even without the injuries.

“He’s developed his game with terrific speed and a great left peg. When he runs and carries it’s a real strength to his game.

“He’s improved his one-on-one defence and the way he attacks the footy, so I’ve seen progress in his game.

“With Aaron we’ve talked about getting his preparation ready to help him take it to another level.

“It’s not to say that he doesn’t prepare, but for Fishy to be the cornerstone of the backline I know he wants to be; the very good players don’t just become that way, they work to get the most out of their talent.”

“With Aaron we’ve talked about getting his preparation ready to help him take it to another level.

“It’s not to say that he doesn’t prepare, but for Fishy to be the cornerstone of the backline I know he wants to be; the very good players don’t just become that way, they work to get the most out of their talent.”

Very very interesting, and something of an indictment on Mullet surely. On the flip, if he hasn't been working hard enough - and the penny has finally dropped - then maybe he really can live up to the potential he showed early on. Dunno about cornerstone of the backline though - seems pretty much unanimous on here that he should play further up the ground.
Very much looking forward to seeing how the many sub-plots to 2017 develop, and IMO Mullet is quite an interesting one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mullett is nippy but I wouldn't say he has terrific speed. Not sure how a flanker can be the cornerstone of the backline either.

Big year coming up for him. Needs to stay fit and get his confidence back, showed some good signs at the end of last season.

Mullett is nippy but I wouldn't say he has terrific speed. Not sure how a flanker can be the cornerstone of the backline either.

Big year coming up for him. Needs to stay fit and get his confidence back, showed some good signs at the end of last season.

Tend to agree, although I would say him playing in the backline hinders his running ability somewhat. Wing or HFF for me.

Tend to agree, although I would say him playing in the backline hinders his running ability somewhat. Wing or HFF for me.

Yes like yourself and others I'd also like to see him play further up the field.

Scotts started with a kick it long around the boundary line game plan, basically what he had learnt at Collingwood.
We then tried the run and gun game plan, trying to copy the skills of Geelong.
After that we changed to a more possession based plan where we would chip it around, copying the vogue at the time of the switch.
Then we moved to a contested ball, kick it long to the tall forwards game plan.

The reason we haven't changed much in the last 3 years is because Hawks have won three in a row and Brad had nothing "new" to copy. Now with the Dogs winning he can come up with a "new" idea!

Fair enough. Some of those changes were more tweaking than overhauls but your absolutely right.

I wonder if the handball run and gun being a simple game plan is used for young teams (ie Essendon under Knights) and as they mature you look to maintain possession and look for space in a more calculated fashion (ie the switching and chip chip plays). I like Scott, I know you're not a fan, but you'd think he will be given the 2018 season to show what he can do with this new crop of of players.

Good to hear he has had a full preseason

Still rate him and agree with others that wing should be his position
Simply not good enough to take a spot on the wing in our side. Higgins, Gibson, McDonald, Atley all light years ahead of him for that spot. A make or break year for him lies ahead. The only available position for Mullett is in the back line. If he fails to perform in that role, then it will be back to Werribee and come October the scrapheap.

Simply not good enough to take a spot on the wing in our side. Higgins, Gibson, McDonald, Atley all light years ahead of him for that spot. A make or break year for him lies ahead. The only available position for Mullett is in the back line. If he fails to perform in that role, then it will be back to Werribee and come October the scrapheap.
I'd rather mullett breaking lines rather than Gibson on the wing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back