#17 Adam Cooney *Former Player*

2011 End of Season Review

by Griffs_Revenge

DSC00649_1.JPG

Photo taken by [name]Old_Dog[/name] (Foreground Middle)

Games - 13
Goals - 9
Best and Fairest - Outside top 10

Date of Birth - 30th September 1985
Recruited Priority Pick 1 2003 draft.
Height/Weight: 186cm, 88kg
Dreamteam Price: 1037 points; $320,100 (-$59,500)
Supercoach: 1054 points; $376,000 (-$106,000)

Stats history: Adam Cooney (AFL Tables)

As many expected when he was unable to complete virtually any of the 2011 preseason it was a tough year for the brownlow medalist managing only 13 games with his knee again giving him issues.

His disposal at times looked quite shakey clearly as a result of his knee damage and his normally sublime finishing skills were missing.

The highlight for he season was his game against Carlton where he looked like the player we enjoyed watching in 2008 with great skills, explosive acceleration from he packs and quality delivery into forward line.

I don't think anyone expects Cooney to get back to his 2008 brownlow medal winning best, but with the same knee injury he was an all australian squad member only last year which is he level he can get back to being, a top 25 player in competition, with good management and of course some luck. Being he highest paid player at dogs they need to find a way to maximise his output which may include rests every 5-6 weeks or more time playing up forward.

Notable Games:

Round 16 - vs Carlton: A game where Cooney was back to his 2008 best ripping through Carlton's midfield with 31 posessions and a goal and was able to show great acceleration which was missed throughout most of year

Round 14 - vs Gold Coast: 23 posessions, 7 inside 50's and 3 goals

fred cook

Premiership Player
Jan 14, 2005
brunswick
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
nnn
Cooney close to fitness

Western Bulldogs star Adam Cooney is expecting to be fully fit in time for the start of next month's pre-season NAB Cup.
Last season the Brownlow medallist managed just 13 games due to a troublesome knee injury, and in November was left out of the team's 2012 leadership group.
''I've made good progress with my knee and I should be at full fitness in about three weeks,'' Cooney told The Age.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cooney-close-to-fitness-20120112-1pxq9.html#ixzz1jHS8oWK2

Oor Wally

Team Captain
Feb 12, 2008
launceston
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Re: Cooney close to fitness

They all at their fittest the,ve ever been ,with the hardest pre season training ever

I'll believe it when I see it

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
I know we usually hear spin in pre-season but after Cooney's injuries of late it's just great to hear that he's actually having something of a reasonable pre-season.

I would kill for him to return to his 2008 form

Article from Herald Sun: Adam Cooney could spend more time in forward line

Reckon this could be a good move. Cooney may not be the best finisher in front of the goals, but has a good burst of speed in him. He averaged over a goal a game in the midfield from 2004-08, before his knee problems. A 30-40 goal season may not be out of the question. Thoughts?

DragzLS1

Team Captain
Nov 16, 2011
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think it would be good for him to rotate through the forward line but also needs to spend time in the middle of the park during a game.. I think his kicking will more then suffice infront of goal. If his knee holds up then I can see him getting 30 goals for us this year, with jones not far behind and hopefully Gia can get around 40.. I would be happy with that with Cooney also helping out through the midfield. Would also like to see him rested every few weeks and through out the games when we dont need him as much.. Just hope he can step it up from last year.. Not expecting a miracle but if hes a little better with a few more games under his belt I would be very happy with that

LardDog

All Australian
Sep 22, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cooney's best years behind him

IT WAS feared by supporters, predicted by media commentators and basically confirmed by coaches, but yesterday the man himself made it official.

Adam Cooney will never recapture his devastating Brownlow Medal-winning form of 2008. His degenerative right knee won't let him. He has accepted it. Now, he says it's time for Western Bulldogs fans to do the same.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-behind-him-20120417-1x5lx.html#ixzz1sKwPQRjQ

Just to add to that, this is what Coons tweeted after that article was published:

Sports reports making it sound like I'll never play well again!! When I said I probably won't get back to my best all I meant was...
I probably won't win another brownlow! Still plenty of good footy left in me dogs fans.

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Star admits best is gone

Interesting article in the Herald Sun today.

I couldn't help think about what I and others have said on this board about the club accepting mediocre.

Cooney is a tough one, admits wont get back to his best, article read quite bad really. So you have to ask why carry a bloke at 80% and for how long do we do this.

As much as Cooney was a great player his knee is clearly gone, only plays in bursts and cannot get to enough contests or do the hard running which is required, epsecially in the vital on ball role. Its a shame but they are facts now.

Do we play him forward? Would he tackle and chase? We are stuck unfortunately

I personally would not extend his contract, not sure when it finishes.

If the club does, it follows what at lot of us say...we are a friendly likeable club first but soft on tough decisions as we are too close to our players and rate then higher than they are.

So come on Coons come out this week and give us some old magic. I think maybe up forward could be the go for you.

I refer you to my comment above^. While it's clear he will never get back to his Brownlow best, I still think he can play well.

He said that these days he isn't getting any swelling in his knee the days after a game, while in the last couple of years they have swollen up for 3 days after.
I think it would be crazy to not give him another contract, on a reduced pay of course.

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Based on 3 games this year I disagree Igloo, especially as an onballer.

Needs to re-invent himself as a forward. Its the most value he can offer our club at the moment.

Can't afford to have guys at 80%, still has a semi limp from contest to contest?

They were talking about Cooney on 3AW tonight and being critical of his personal assessment. Overall Matthews tried to put something into perspective with Cooney's injury and reduced capacity but 3AW weren't overly enthusiastic.

cromaglife

Debutant
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
Like he says i think he still needs to build fitness - he's coming from a long way back. He played more midfield in the Saint's game and looked like there wasn't much in the tank after half time. That being said his knee not swelling up is a positive. Definitely won't get back to his absolute best, but how he is travelling mid to late season will be more telling.

A little early to be pulling the trigger on which way he will go after round 3 and playing a handful of games last season and surgery again before Christmas.

DragzLS1

Team Captain
Nov 16, 2011
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Think he was alot better against Melbourne and looks to have that burst, even though its not teh same he is still quick and knows where to run.. Think if he spends 60-40% time between forward and mid that would benefit the team and manage his knee alot better.. Happy with what he is producing soo far this season as we didnt expect much from him :) Go Coon!!

Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
In such a terrible day of footy Coons was one of the shining lights. His start in the first five rounds this year has been fantastic, he's showing signs of the Cooney of old.

I'm one of many who thought the rest of his career was destined to end on one leg of the forward flank, so to see him running though the midfield today was awesome. Hopefully he can keep up playing this way and most importantly he stays fit and healthy. I dare say he would be leading our best and fairest at this stage.

Good to have him back playing good footy! :thumbsu:

Tibes

All Australian
Mar 10, 2011
Bundoora
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Absolute star. Was brilliant to watch him late in the first fly through, gather the handball and run in and kick a goal.

adegrub21

All Australian
Sep 25, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's got great footy smarts. It was great to see him peel off towards the goal square and take a grab off Stringer's boot. I just about tore the house down over that passage of play

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Must admit that I thought that he was cooked at the end of last year. He's rebounded superbly and looks like the Cooney of 08.

Back