Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

Short had a great game where he kicked 3 goals but he has had over 10 touches once in 5 games and often has less then Rioli. Daniel has had over 10 touches in 4 out of 8 games and lays a shite load of tackles.

Maybe he gets away with stuff because he is a Rioli but I also reckon he gets far more harshly judged because he is Rioli at the same time.

Short averages 1.3 less touches a game but he does a hell of a lot more with the ball than Rioli who struggles to hit a target when kicking forward. While the notion that Rioli tackles a lot and provides great pressure is unfounded given rarely does the effort he provide result in the opposition turning the ball over.

He is literally only getting a game as he lucky enough to have the last name Rioli. The performance last week was a joke and I lost track of the number of times he allowed his opponent to go up for uncontested mark.

Yes Im being harsh but when you have more talented players rotting away in the two's (Lennon) then you best be performing.

Short averages 1.3 less touches a game but he does a hell of a lot more with the ball than Rioli who struggles to hit a target when kicking forward. While the notion that Rioli tackles a lot and provides great pressure is unfounded given rarely does the effort he provide result in the opposition turning the ball over.

He is literally only getting a game as he lucky enough to have the last name Rioli. The performance last week was a joke and I lost track of the number of times he allowed his opponent to go up for uncontested mark.

Yes Im being harsh but when you have more talented players rotting away in the two's (Lennon) then you best be performing.

Yeah really rotting away in the two's......two games and 3qtrs for the season out of a possible eight games including this weekend.:drunk:

Lennon is out for 6 weeks so not rotting and plays a different role. Butler and Short are the only two players directly competing for Daniels spot.

1.3 is not a lot at the top end of the possession getters but is a 16% increase at the Short and Rioli end, that would like Cotchin getting an extra 5 touches then Dusty per game.

Both go above 70% which is exactly what you want and Rioli has more goal assists and score involvements then Short.

Tackling is still tackling and pressure is still pressure and Rioli does both better then Short.

Rioli get his spot because he is the best small forward on our list, the stats bear this out, any other position and yeah he probably doesn't play. Plus its not his job to go up for marks, you see small players every week from every team let a guy go up uncontested because they are waiting down like they are trained to do.

Lennon is out for 6 weeks so not rotting and plays a different role. Butler and Short are the only two players directly competing for Daniels spot.

1.3 is not a lot at the top end of the possession getters but is a 16% increase at the Short and Rioli end, that would like Cotchin getting an extra 5 touches then Dusty per game.

Both go above 70% which is exactly what you want and Rioli has more goal assists and score involvements then Short.

Tackling is still tackling and pressure is still pressure and Rioli does both better then Short.

Rioli get his spot because he is the best small forward on our list, the stats bear this out, any other position and yeah he probably doesn't play. Plus its not his job to go up for marks, you see small players every week from every team let a guy go up uncontested because they are waiting down like they are trained to do.

Couldn't care less if Lennon plays a different way. I would rather play without a small forward and have an extra medium sized forward than play a man down like we're at present.

Short averages more meters gained despite less touches as Rioli can only kick backwards or sideways otherwise it results in a turnover.

Not sure he does. I've actually seen Short provide pressure and it result it in the opposition turn over. With the exception of round one I don't think Rioli has provided a defensive effort that has caused the opposition to turn it over which is embarrassing given he spends the entire game chasing tail.

When your opponent is going up for the mark and their is no one else around to contest then it is your job to go up and contest. Rioli just watches and pulls out whenever he gets the opportunity. Cryil is great talent who did all the things I've mentioned from the get go, Daniel is ordinary talent living off his cousins ability and should stop being treated from the coaching staff as if he is and be made to earn it.

Couldn't care less if Lennon plays a different way. I would rather play without a small forward and have an extra medium sized forward than play a man down like we're at present.
Once again he is injured so he isn't playing anyway, and we have been crying out for a small forward for years. We have plenty of medium forwards and all the best teams have very good small forwards.

Short averages more meters gained despite less touches as Rioli can only kick backwards or sideways otherwise it results in a turnover.

Meters gained is as useless in AFL as it is in soccer. Its a 360 degree game going backwards and side ways to open up space means its pointless. I've seen Cotchin get negative meters gained and be the best player on the field because he went backwards to players setting up space or goals.

Also Short and Rioli both average 2 turn overs a game.

Not sure he does. I've actually seen Short provide pressure and it result it in the opposition turn over. With the exception of round one I don't think Rioli has provided a defensive effort that has caused the opposition to turn it over which is embarrassing given he spends the entire game chasing tail.

I've seen Rioli do it too.

When your opponent is going up for the mark and their is no one else around to contest then it is your job to go up and contest. Rioli just watches and pulls out whenever he gets the opportunity. Cryil is great talent who did all the things I've mentioned from the get go, Daniel is ordinary talent living off his cousins ability and should stop being treated from the coaching staff as if he is and be made to earn it.

The small's job is always to stay on the ground. Daniel is being trained to let Deledio, Jack, Ty or Griff create the contest and he picks up the crumbs. I've seen him fly occasionally but he is trained to stay on the ground.

No he isn't as natural as Cyril, who is?? But he is very talented, he is our best small forward and the Hawks were going to take him at 15 or where ever their pick ended up after academies.

Once again he is injured so he isn't playing anyway, and we have been crying out for a small forward for years. We have plenty of medium forwards and all the best teams have very good small forwards.

He is injured now. He wasn't at the start of the season when he was kicking most of our goals in the NAB cup.

Meters gained is as useless in AFL as it is in soccer. Its a 360 degree game going backwards and side ways to open up space means its pointless. I've seen Cotchin get negative meters gained and be the best player on the field because he went backwards to players setting up space or goals.

Also Short and Rioli both average 2 turn overs a game.

What a load of s**t. For midfielders you can make the argument that meters gained isn't as important but for every other position it is good gauge of impact. Especially when you get the ball forward of centre where the next kick if possible should always go forward to give the forwards the best opportunity to get the ball before the opposition flood back.

The small's job is always to stay on the ground. Daniel is being trained to let Deledio, Jack, Ty or Griff create the contest and he picks up the crumbs. I've seen him fly occasionally but he is trained to stay on the ground.

No he isn't as natural as Cyril, who is?? But he is very talented, he is our best small forward and the Hawks were going to take him at 15 or where ever their pick ended up after academies.

Name a good small forward who stays on the ground. The very best in the game are always going up but the key is they know when to stay down. The fact that Rioli does stay down and yet has only had one scoring shot from crumbing shows you exactly how worthless he is as a small forward, which by the way Lambert, Edwards and Lloyd are all far better small forwards then Rioli even if they aren't natural small forwards.

Had Hawthorn taken him then he wouldn't be playing and would be developing on the wing which is where his future lies. Brad Hill is his comparison not Cyril but then again we have a coach who can't recognise players strengths to save himself and is happy to continually play players out of position so get use to more underwhelming/invisible performances from Rioli.

This a DRioli thread not BEllis. They were both pathetic.
For completely different reasons. Rioli should not of played due to personal reasons and his body size was going to be a problem against the big bodies of North Melbourne
Ellis has allowed to become a squib under this FD . No accountability under the Caretaker

Very promising first season so far.

Yesterday some of the stuff he did was Cyril-esque.

Some of it wasn't so good, but he's obviously very raw and still a skinny lad, but he has looked so promising and it seems as though he's hungry, wants to do his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very promising first season so far.

Yesterday some of the stuff he did was Cyril-esque.

Some of it wasn't so good, but he's obviously very raw and still a skinny lad, but he has looked so promising and it seems as though he's hungry, wants to do his best.

How good was it when he picked off that selwood handball, and the run down tackle on motlop. He was going so quick he almost missed motlop but just held on.

Also set up our first goal when he turned two geelong players inside out.

He will be an absolute gun, bookmark it. He has all the traits and the work ethic.

Cant believe people were pissed when we drafted him. Steal.

He will be an absolute gun, bookmark it. He has all the traits and the work ethic.

Cant believe people were pissed when we drafted him. Steal.
Wasn't peeved off but i was very skeptical about the reasons why we took him(his name and out of desperation for something we lack).But the signs are good,He should be happy with his 1st season.

I really liked Andrew Krakouer.

One of the few bright lights this season has been Dan - although I fear he might be cotton wooled for the year after in Dimma's presser he said words to the effect that Dan and other youngsters are starting to feel the pinch - he almost didn't get up this week.

Loved his acceleration on the outer wing to start the chain that resulted in our first goal. :thumbsu:
(Sadly I gotta add - had it been BEllis he would have hatched the ball for 20 seconds before chipping it 15.1 meters backwards to Taylor Hunt under pressure... :oops:)

If we're basing it on debut season I'd say Vlastuin is better.

As were Conca and B.Ellis. Cellis and Lennon didn't play many games.

As for Rioli bar the odd goal he does nothing for me as a forward. Everything good he does generally is further up the field. Yesterday for example he had the split the two Geelong defenders on our defensive 50, tackled Motlop on the wing and intercepted the Selwood handball on the wing. Would happily drop B.Ellis and put Rioli on the wing for the last two games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back