Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

Have felt for a while now that this kid has the tools to be a good player. Today there were a few passages that make me think that he will be a bloody good player. Tail end of first season and he s now getting a feel for what he can and can't do. Used his pace to some real effect today and has a neat kick on him. Really looking forward to see him with a second pre season under his belt. We did good with this pick

Have felt for a while now that this kid has the tools to be a good player. Today there were a few passages that make me think that he will be a bloody good player. Tail end of first season and he s now getting a feel for what he can and can't do. Used his pace to some real effect today and has a neat kick on him. Really looking forward to see him with a second pre season under his belt. We did good with this pick
And yet you were critical of us playing him earlier in the year as I recall. This is why you play them. It's because it fast tracks their development. Guys like Butler have been strong in the reserves and never get a call up. It does my head in. Instead we play guys who have proven time and again that they will fail under pressure and who have plateaued. They will not improve anymore. Why we play guys like Grigg, Houli and BEllis when they have failed us so many times is beyond me.

And yet you were critical of us playing him earlier in the year as I recall. This is why you play them. It's because it fast tracks their development. Guys like Butler have been strong in the reserves and never get a call up. It does my head in. Instead we play guys who have proven time and again that they will fail under pressure and who have plateaued. They will not improve anymore. Why we play guys like Grigg, Houli and BEllis when they have failed us so many times is beyond me.
OH yeah and I stand by those comments af the time coz he was battling , this early on In a Career doesnt do any harm to return to vfl and ply trade

he was the only thing that kept me awake at the game today.
seriously anyone that has not seen him live do yourself a favour. he chases 4 blokes at once etc & plays like his life depends on it, he could teach a few of his teammates a thing or 3 about how to apply pressure.

Andrew Krakouer only needed to get it 12 times a game and usually 10 very good things happened.
Daniel is a bit like that but with heaps more potential.

Andrew was probably more of a pure small crumbing forward and played in a Richmond era where the team struggled and it probably didn't suit his style of play but when he went to Collingwood there style of play suited him and just being in a better team helps allround really.

Daniel will probably move into the midfield. Two different players in some aspects. Give Daniel about 50-odd games and lets see what he can produce, so far he is doing well and is one of the few shining lights for the club. I really enjoy watching Daniel play and like Andrew -Daniel has quick hands in tight congested traffic, something that we need going forward.

Seemed quite nervous and not sure where he should position himself for most of the season but appears to be getting much more confident as the year progressed. Look forward to seeing some great games from him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really liking young Rioli's debut season, sort of worked his way into it but seems to be finishing strong. Today was his best game yet IMO.

I remember some saying we reached a bit with his draft selection but think he's justified the selection.

Had a quick look at his stats
  • 17 games played
  • 13 goals kicked
  • Avg 1 goal assist a game.
  • Avg 4 score involvements a game.
  • Avg 3 tackles.
We were crying out for a quality small who could apply some much needed defensive pressure and crumbing skills. Think Rioli has brought that and hopefully will only get better in years to come.

Ranked 7th at Richmond overall for tackles (53 tackles), not a bad effort for a young player and a small player at that who is lightly framed but will take any opposition player on. Will only get better as the seasons go by. Very happy Richmond drafted him here to Tigerland.

Looks as good as Cyril for the same age. He's already a better player than Edwards. Edwards will get us a nice pick. Takes high marks and has great pressure and tackling. Very quick. I'm Excited :D

rioli is a lot quicker than andy krak , I reckon will spend more time in midfield too whereas AK best work was close to goal

Sadly Andrew wasn't blessed with quick foot speed, but had quick thinking and quick decision making, especially in tight congested spaces.

Sadly Andrew wasn't blessed with quick foot speed, but had quick thinking and quick decision making, especially in tight congested spaces.
Andrew was a very clever and underrated footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back