Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope we hang onto him. I think he’ll turn it around. There’s plenty of talent there. He just needs to find confidence I reckon

He has not lost it.

I put it down to 16 minute quarters

Its why we should not be knee jerking on some of our players this year because its unusual circumstances

Last edited:
Dan lost his mojo when rioli and george were plying ahead of him even when they were low on form.

Heres the thing, us supporters can really only see what goes on the field. We dont see what does on behind the scenes. Nor can we see coaches reasoning so its a bit hard to truely accuse a coach of playing favourites without knowing the full story.

Players arent just dropped without commincation, Dan Butler would have been given constant feedback about why he wasn’t being picked. If he decided to interpret the feedback as “We like Rioli better than you”, maybe its a good thing he left

I havent seen that and subsequent discussion. Suggested that rioli isnt working both ways>
NA he took a hard hit after flying for a mark... laid there like he was dead, and I think it would have hurt, but 5 seconds later when he saw we had one the ball back, he bounced up like nothing had ever happened....

NA he took a hard hit after flying for a mark... laid there like he was dead, and I think it would have hurt, but 5 seconds later when he saw we had one the ball back, he bounced up like nothing had ever happened....
ah ok thanks for clarifying

I saw in the game just after Tucky died that he had written the 'run, chase, tackle' on his wrist so it seems like the want to get back to 2017 levels is there, he'll be desperate to stay in for dreamtime so I reckon that effort combined with hopefully a bit more confidence after his last game will hold him in good stead

What I don’t get is when he takes a mark up the ground he strolls back, takes his time and then leans back and skies it 50m in the air and it only travels 40m and is an incoming hospital ball for whoever is standing underneath it.
Might be slightly exaggerated but he genuinely pops the ball up that high when he kicks down the line. Defenders would be licking their lips in this situation.

What I don’t get is when he takes a mark up the ground he strolls back, takes his time and then leans back and skies it 50m in the air and it only travels 40m and is an incoming hospital ball for whoever is standing underneath it.
Might be slightly exaggerated but he genuinely pops the ball up that high when he kicks down the line. Defenders would be licking their lips in this situation.
Been wondering the same. Don’t recall him always kicking it so high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw in the game just after Tucky died that he had written the 'run, chase, tackle' on his wrist so it seems like the want to get back to 2017 levels is there, he'll be desperate to stay in for dreamtime so I reckon that effort combined with hopefully a bit more confidence after his last game will hold him in good stead

I have seen that on his wrist before in some other game I think the commentators shown so he must do it semi/regularly. Concentration?

Getting better. He got involved, his pressure and harrassing was good, provided some link up play. Made a couple mistakes with poor decision making but probably his best game for us for a long time.

Was one of his better games for the year but still wasn't good enough. 6 of his 9 games he has played without kicking a goal and kicked 1 point in those games. Also only one direct goal assist for the season. Might survive this week due to Castagna form but personally I would be finding a different alternative especially given some of the quality we have on the sidelines.

Was one of his better games for the year but still wasn't good enough. 6 of his 9 games he has played without kicking a goal and kicked 1 point in those games. Also only one direct goal assist for the season. Might survive this week due to Castagna form but personally I would be finding a different alternative especially given some of the quality we have on the sidelines.

Daniel is the best small forward on current form..

Aarts and George bit off the pace

Getting better. He got involved, his pressure and harrassing was good, provided some link up play. Made a couple mistakes with poor decision making but probably his best game for us for a long time.
Just wish he turn and go fast when he takes a mark... he’s just so frustratingly slow to move the ball on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back