Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

I just love the learning the hb role it is so funny. If it was anyone else they would be learning to play there in the magoos. Fmd people here talk about McIntosh spending a year to learn a new role which we all know is total shyte.

What we have is a 24yo 6th yr player with 110 games to his name. Who has been so poor they decided after being forced to drop him several times, to play him in a role most clubs blood kids in. Yep a real hard role to learn that one.

What is funny is some feral supporters are jumping thru hoops over what has been in the main reasonable performances from him. I will even go as far as saying his game was well rounded against Geelong and is where he needs to be at every week.
Now thats the question like the rest of his career will he just totally be s**t for many games with the odd good one or will he finally become consistent and regularly play to a high enough level. I suppose a part of the answer to that is high high people set the bar which when it comes to Dan so far its been set pretty low.

Atm he has Houli's spot and role, never a fan of Houli i actually prefer Rioli there!!!! but he is miles off what the aging injury riddled Houli has given even this year.

It does make me laugh supporters looking for anything to hang their hats on when talking up a favorite player, hes the next great H/b of all time after three games its laughable.
He has actually played 110 games and people need to stop judging him like hes a kid still and start judging him as the mature experinced player he is.

Now people here think i want him to fail. Nothing could be further from the truth and if he succeeds in the role well and good.

What i do question is why play him at HB when we bring in Mansell and Stack to play there WHO HAVE ALREADY LEARNT THE ROLES IN THE MAGOO'S!!!!! and are performing well enough. we have Short in the team playing a similar role to Rioli with Houli in the wings waiting on injury.

Someone has to miss out back when Balta, Vlastuin and Broad come back, im hoping Houli retires so i wont mention him.. The size and strength and added height of those three is sorely needed.

I think Stacky could play elsewhere may even fix up the small fwd problems we have but he should also be allowed to be a part of midfield rotations in doing so. Still not right that he works his arse off to get back PLAYING AND LEARNING THE H/B ROLE IN THE MAGOOS, and a poorly performed favorite sun could just waltz in and take his spot.

Imo Rioli has all the attributes to play on a wing leaving Mansell as part of the back 6 as i don't see a role for him elsewhere.

Lets apply the same logic that is used to defend Rioli after all whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
Mansell is just a kid learning the role in our team who has just played 10 games and is tracking along beautifully yet when players return if Rioli stays back he likely will be the one dropped. Imo there is no need for this if we are prepared to make some smart decisions.After all he is just learning the role.

Last but not least Mansell and Stack are much harder than Rioli and more accountable to a player they are also prepared to take a bit of punishment unlike Rioli.When they tackle they tackle unlike most of Rioli's tackles where they just walk thru him unless its a run down from behind. Now you can all moan and groan and name call as much as you like about those comments but thems the facts.

Last edited:

I just love the learning the hb role it is so funny. If it was anyone else they would be learning to play there in the magoos. Fmd people here talk about McIntosh spending a year to learn a new role which we all know is total sh*te.

What we have is a 24yo 6th yr player with 110 games to his name. Who has been so poor they decided after being forced to drop him several times, to play him in a role most clubs blood kids in. Yep a real hard role to learn that one.

What is funny is some feral supporters are jumping thru hoops over what has been in the main reasonable performances from him. I will even go as far as saying his game was well rounded against Geelong and is where he needs to be at every week.
Now thats the question like the rest of his career will he just totally be sh*t for many games with the odd good one or will he finally become consistent and regularly play to a high enough level. I suppose a part of the answer to that is high high people set the bar which when it comes to Dan so far its been set pretty low.

Atm he has Houli's spot and role, never a fan of Houli i actually prefer Rioli there!!!! but he is miles off what the aging injury riddled Houli has given even this year.

It does make me laugh supporters looking for anything to hang their hats on when talking up a favorite player, hes the next great H/b of all time after three games its laughable.
He has actually played 110 games and people need to stop judging him like hes a kid still and start judging him as the mature experinced player he is.

Now people here think i want him to fail. Nothing could be further from the truth and if he succeeds in the role well and good.

What i do question is why play him at HB when we bring in Mansell and Stack to play there WHO HAVE ALREADY LEARNT THE ROLES IN THE MAGOO'S!!!!! and are performing well enough. we have Short in the team playing a similar role to Rioli with Houli in the wings waiting on injury.

Someone has to miss out back when Balta, Vlastuin and Broad come back, im hoping Houli retires so i wont mention him.. The size and strength and added height of those three is sorely needed.

I think Stacky could play elsewhere may even fix up the small fwd problems we have but he should also be allowed to be a part of midfield rotations in doing so. Still not right that he works his arse off to get back PLAYING AND LEARNING THE H/B ROLE IN THE MAGOOS, and a poorly performed favorite sun could just waltz in and take his spot.

Imo Rioli has all the attributes to play on a wing leaving Mansell as part of the back 6 as i don't see a role for him elsewhere.

Lets apply the same logic that is used to defend Rioli after all whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
Mansell is just a kid learning the role in our team who has just played 10 games and is tracking along beautifully yet when players return if Rioli stays back he likely will be the one dropped. Imo there is no need for this if we are prepared to make some smart decisions.After all he is just learning the role.

Last but not least Mansell and Stack are much harder than Rioli and more accountable to a player they are also prepared to take a bit of punishment unlike Rioli.When they tackle they tackle unlike most of Rioli's tackles where they just walk thru him unless its a run down from behind. Now you can all moan and groan and name call as much as you like about those comments but thems the facts.
1627380264664.png

Wake me up before you go go

View attachment 1189005

Knew I shouldn’t have clicked on read ignored content 🙄
He talks absolute shite at times and that post was just potting Rioli, claiming bias by the match committee and gifting games. Utter hogwash given Rioli did play a number of games at HB in the magoos and performed solidly.
Not sure what games he’s been watching but Dan has been more than serviceable in defense since returning to the seniors.
Reads the play well, intercepts, and his kicking and run and carry has been good. And has defended one on one more than adequately! Played on Cameron in the Lions game and won most of his contests from memory.
But yeah, it seems old Moppey will never ever be satisfied in regards Rioli

Last edited:
He talks absolute sh*te at times and that post was just potting Rioli, claiming bias by the match committee and gifting games. Utter hogwash given Rioli did play a number of games at HB in the magoos and performed solidly.
Not sure what games he’s been watching but Dan has been more than serviceable in defense since returning to the seniors.
Reads the play well, intercepts, and his kicking and run and carry has been good. And has defended one on one more than adequately! Played on Cameron in the Lions game and won most of his contests from memory.
If he didnt have Richmond as his team he would be banned for trolling

FTFY ;)

Not a single word to celebrate our premierships and has spent the entire era potting players, coaches and staff for not reaching his lofty standards.

2ltM6GwM4zH6QCaVUDBE1gvCC76UjKM7dAgn5BXEggg.jpg

I just love the learning the hb role it is so funny. If it was anyone else they would be learning to play there in the magoos. Fmd people here talk about McIntosh spending a year to learn a new role which we all know is total sh*te.

Now thats the question like the rest of his career will he just totally be sh*t for many games with the odd good one or will he finally become consistent and regularly play to a high enough level. I suppose a part of the answer to that is high high people set the bar which when it comes to Dan so far its been set pretty low.

Mansell does play accountable footy but I’d bet London to a brick he doesnt have license or the confidence to take the game on from HB. At the moment.
And thats alright, I’ve seen Stack get into overlap positions to have the ball sent his way but I havent seen him run the ball forward, Short hasnt set the world on fire this year and he’s been in the whole time Houli has been out.
Rioli took the game on a couple of times against the cats.
Right now I cant see a better replacement for what Houli brought than Rioli.
The other thing is Rioli knows the system to more than one line. FD does gave the option to change things up in Game time.
No one else down there does really.
Rioli goes alright.

Knew I shouldn’t have clicked on read ignored context
He talks absolute sh*te at times and that post was just potting Rioli, claiming bias by the match committee and gifting games. Utter hogwash given Rioli did play a number of games at HB in the magoos and performed solidly.

He’s a useless campaigner. No point ducking around, call a spade a spade. I think he was genuinely upset we won three flags as it proved his page long s**t dribble was the laughable musings of a football nuffy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s a useless campaigner. No point ducking around, call a spade a spade. I think he was genuinely upset we won three flags as it proved his page long sh*t dribble was the laughable musings of a football nuffy.

You know, if he can’t be happy with our recruiting and list management after 3 flags in 4 years, what does that say? I’m at a loss to be honest. We can be crap for the next 10 years and I’ll still be happy with what we’ve achieved given it’s so hard to win even one flag.

I'm not a huge fan of Mansell, nothing against him but just don't think he's anything special.

I wouldn't mind after a preseason of training together seeing our round 1 2022 back 6 start as:

Vlastuin Miller/Astbury Grimes
Short Balta Rioli

Broad on the bench.
Baker forward, Stack rotating with Rioli on HBF/wing.

The big gap for me is that Astbury/Miller role second big KPD. Astbury is getting old and Miller is completely unproven, however the rest of our defence may be good enough to carry someone who is good enough to just do a job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a huge fan of Mansell, nothing against him but just don't think he's anything special.

I wouldn't mind after a preseason of training together seeing our round 1 2022 back 6 start as:

Vlastuin Miller/Astbury Grimes
Short Balta Rioli

Broad on the bench.
Baker forward, Stack rotating with Rioli on HBF/wing.

The big gap for me is that Astbury/Miller role second big KPD. Astbury is getting old and Miller is completely unproven, however the rest of our defence may be good enough to carry someone who is good enough to just do a job.

Mansell has a go but he is far from a complete defender yet. Mansell is more of a nuisance than anything else for oppositions at the moment, he still may not make it

Stack is a far better defender, but I am not eliminating the possibility Mansell cannot improve and I like tryers

LOL as i said a few feral supporters jumping thru hoops after a couple of okay performances.
Easier to have a go at the poster who just doesnt hop on board like a sheep than address the points being made. But thats fine it has never stopped me making my own observations and it never will.

Im still laughing at those people who say hes just learning a new role and use it as an excuse for poor to average performances.

Lets have a look at the points i made that has people so angry and protective of Rioli.

1/ Its a fact most clubs have used H/B for kids.If it was such a hard role to learn then kids would not play there.
2/ Its a fact the club yes the head honchos said themselves he would have to go back and earn his spot in the new role. He played two okay games back there and being Hardwicks favorite straight back in. Thats not earning your spot after an abysmal season imo.

3/ Its a fact Rioli is a 6th yr 110 game player who is now both mature and experienced who has been so poor he has been dropped several times.Having played 6 seasons and with well 100 games to his name he is hardly a kid learning a role.But you can see it coming a mile off when the shockers happen Oh deary hes still just learning the role.

4/ Hmm i thought it a very reasonable question when i asked. Like the rest of his career will he be shite for many games or will he finally become consistent and play to a high enough standard on a regular basis. After all he keeps on getting dropped and it happens for a reason lol.

5/ Its a fact he is currently playing Houli's role and for out put he is still miles below what Houli has offered in the past.

6/ People here sure do have poor comprehension when i say nothing could be further from the truth if he succeeds in the role well and good. That in relation to wanting him to fail. But hey if people want to believe i want him to fail so be it i can only say its not true.

7/ Another relevant question was. Why play him at H/B after just two weeks of nothing special in the two's having come off horrible long term form, when we have already picked Mansell and Stack to play back. Unlike you lot i can only come to one conclusion for that one.
This sort of thing is what has happened right through out. poor form get dropped after an exhorbitant time period of poor performances only to go straight back in after a week or two having done little to earn his spot back. Now thats a fact but hey lets not discuss those pesky things lets just take cheap shots at the poster who asks the pesky questions.

8/ Hmm some one does have to miss out when Broad and Vlastuin and possibly even Houli get back. But boy don't anyone dare suggest it should be Rioli just look at the vitriol you will have to cop.

9/ Made the comment of playing Rioli on the wing as he has all the attributes for that role, that would allow Mansell to stay in the team at H/B when players return as it looks like he can only play H/B atm. Well hang draw and quarter me for even suggesting we should find a way to keep playing a promising 21 yr old and move Rioli to a wing.

10/ People here saying Rioli will get better as he is just learning the role. Well i asked people to apply the same sort of logic to Mansell He is just a 21 yr old ten game player and he is learning the role as well. It was a simple observation if Rioli stays when players return then Mansell will get the flick when we can accomodate that by simply playing Rioli on a wing.But hey im not a good supporter for wanting them to find a way to keep a promising 21 yr old in the team.

11/ The observation that imo Stack and Mansell are harder more accountable and are prepared to wear more contact than Rioli or that in a lot of Rioli's tackles players just walk thru em. Dear oh dear how dare some one speak about what they see happen.

12/ So when i make the comment of I will even go as far as saying his game was well rounded against Geelong and is where he needs to be every week is a put down then i really do have to question peoples comprehension skills when they come up with things like this

Never seen someone so upset that a player has adjusted to a new role so well so quickly

Im accused of being an ordinary poster by some but sheesh i have nothing on a few on this thread people who clearly have trouble looking at both sides of an equation.

LOL as i said a few feral supporters jumping thru hoops after a couple of okay performances.
Easier to have a go at the poster who just doesnt hop on board like a sheep than address the points being made. But thats fine it has never stopped me making my own observations and it never will.

Im still laughing at those people who say hes just learning a new role and use it as an excuse for poor to average performances.

Lets have a look at the points i made that has people so angry and protective of Rioli.

1/ Its a fact most clubs have used H/B for kids.If it was such a hard role to learn then kids would not play there.
2/ Its a fact the club yes the head honchos said themselves he would have to go back and earn his spot in the new role. He played two okay games back there and being Hardwicks favorite straight back in. Thats not earning your spot after an abysmal season imo.

3/ Its a fact Rioli is a 6th yr 110 game player who is now both mature and experienced who has been so poor he has been dropped several times.Having played 6 seasons and with well 100 games to his name he is hardly a kid learning a role.But you can see it coming a mile off when the shockers happen Oh deary hes still just learning the role.

4/ Hmm i thought it a very reasonable question when i asked. Like the rest of his career will he be sh*te for many games or will he finally become consistent and play to a high enough standard on a regular basis. After all he keeps on getting dropped and it happens for a reason lol.

5/ Its a fact he is currently playing Houli's role and for out put he is still miles below what Houli has offered in the past.

6/ People here sure do have poor comprehension when i say nothing could be further from the truth if he succeeds in the role well and good. That in relation to wanting him to fail. But hey if people want to believe i want him to fail so be it i can only say its not true.

7/ Another relevant question was. Why play him at H/B after just two weeks of nothing special in the two's having come off horrible long term form, when we have already picked Mansell and Stack to play back. Unlike you lot i can only come to one conclusion for that one.
This sort of thing is what has happened right through out. poor form get dropped after an exhorbitant time period of poor performances only to go straight back in after a week or two having done little to earn his spot back. Now thats a fact but hey lets not discuss those pesky things lets just take cheap shots at the poster who asks the pesky questions.

8/ Hmm some one does have to miss out when Broad and Vlastuin and possibly even Houli get back. But boy don't anyone dare suggest it should be Rioli just look at the vitriol you will have to cop.

9/ Made the comment of playing Rioli on the wing as he has all the attributes for that role, that would allow Mansell to stay in the team at H/B when players return as it looks like he can only play H/B atm. Well hang draw and quarter me for even suggesting we should find a way to keep playing a promising 21 yr old and move Rioli to a wing.

10/ People here saying Rioli will get better as he is just learning the role. Well i asked people to apply the same sort of logic to Mansell He is just a 21 yr old ten game player and he is learning the role as well. It was a simple observation if Rioli stays when players return then Mansell will get the flick when we can accomodate that by simply playing Rioli on a wing.But hey im not a good supporter for wanting them to find a way to keep a promising 21 yr old in the team.

11/ The observation that imo Stack and Mansell are harder more accountable and are prepared to wear more contact than Rioli or that in a lot of Rioli's tackles players just walk thru em. Dear oh dear how dare some one speak about what they see happen.

12/ So when i make the comment of I will even go as far as saying his game was well rounded against Geelong and is where he needs to be every week is a put down then i really do have to question peoples comprehension skills when they come up with things like this

Im accused of being an ordinary poster by some but sheesh i have nothing on a few on this thread people who clearly have trouble looking at both sides of an equation.

View attachment 1189005

Knew I shouldn’t have clicked on read ignored content 🙄
FTFY ;)

Not a single word to celebrate our premierships and has spent the entire era potting players, coaches and staff for not reaching his lofty standards.

2ltM6GwM4zH6QCaVUDBE1gvCC76UjKM7dAgn5BXEggg.jpg
Never seen someone so upset that a player has adjusted to a new role so well so quickly
pretty sure same fella's favourite song is 'it's a grand old flag' :p
He’s a useless campaigner. No point ducking around, call a spade a spade. I think he was genuinely upset we won three flags as it proved his page long sh*t dribble was the laughable musings of a football nuffy.

You know, if he can’t be happy with our recruiting and list management after 3 flags in 4 years, what does that say? I’m at a loss to be honest. We can be crap for the next 10 years and I’ll still be happy with what we’ve achieved given it’s so hard to win even one flag.
You're not wrong.....who the fck would read all that? People carry on like their opinion matters to the club. It doesn't....not even a little bit.
If the club went the Mopsy/Moopey way after 2016 then in 2017 we would have got rid of Houli, Grigg, Castagna, Butler, Rioli, Broad, Ellis, McIntosh, Astbury, Edwards, Townsend and never recruited Nankervis, Prestia and Caddy.
Oh yeah, Dimma, Peggy and Benny would have been gone as well.

I think he’s going much better, but I’m personally not getting too carried away yet. His efforts in marking contests are very ordinary. So scared to jump into them.
Yeah it is. BUT his job isn't really contest. Only contesting he really has to do I defend 1-1. Although he should be crumbing to the big marking contests a little bit better. There's no point sending more than 3 up and we have 3 key defenders on at most points during the game.

Yeah it is. BUT his job isn't really contest. Only contesting he really has to do I defend 1-1. Although he should be crumbing to the big marking contests a little bit better. There's no point sending more than 3 up and we have 3 key defenders on at most points during the game.

The issue is he flies in the contest with the intent to pull out. He needs to fly with the intent to mark, or stay down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back